Join our zoo community

Burgers' Zoo Burgers' Zoo News 2022

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by PicanBird, 1 Jan 2022.

1. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

This is actually theming, I think. I've seen ancient, overgrown advertisements in the real jungles myself

StoppableSan and Platypusboy like this.
  2. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

It is a joke as near that shack is a cola tree..

StoppableSan and Mr Gharial like this.
  3. Mr Gharial

That's even better

4. LARTIS

LARTIS Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The first thing that pops up on my mind when i read or hear coca cola are the many claims how bad this company is for both natural and cultural heritage.
    Among these the profit oriented lil to no enviormental friendly agenda only focussed on max profit, giving into any of these matter only under extreme public pressure.

If i remember correctly some of the claims were.
    Plastic pollution. Destruction of important land areas both nature and indigenious population. Corruption within local politics. Water drainage.

All institutions have a responsibility to educate about conservation and also adress such topics that mean our personal powers to either positively or not impact our globe.

Especialy Burgers zoo that made its name to be one of the most invested parks thinking of a project that is even near a region that is claimed to have suffered from coca colas actions belize and guatemala.

I was equaly furious how zurich tried to adress the exploition of land and people in relation to cocoa and palm oil show casinh only products from nestle competetors.

They d have used this exact spot of the tree to do the oposite and educate abput the relevance of caring.

Burgers zoo is no doubt among the very best zoos cominc almost uncomparable close to an ideal institution, but this has been an issue for me for some time now. I hope they once again take on the position of a role model and fix this outdated gimmick.

WalkingAgnatha and Therabu like this.
  5. Mr Gharial

Burgers' Zoo has started completely remodeling the Bush restaurant!
    000.jpg
    (The picture doesn't really add much but it was included in the email)

JurassicMax and Keith like this.
  6. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Not sure if it was mentioned already but 1 male and 2 females currently free roaming.

Source;
    Instagram of Burgers Zoo (04/07/2022) Login • Instagram

Platypusboy likes this.
  7. PicanBird

2.2 are freeroaming. Their first chick is also already very much exploring and he is very kind to guests (usually even tries to come as close as possible)

JurassicMax, Keith and Mr Gharial like this.
  8. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

After a few years break, a white-bearded gnu was born, more calfs are expected in the coming weeks.

A hog deer was born too.

Source: Burgers' Zoo Facebook

KevinB, Lucky, JoJo22 and 8 others like this.
  9. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Today 5 years ago the Mangrove ecodisplay was opened!

Burgers zoo also placed some nice pictures on their Instagram where you can see how the mangrove has changed over the years!
    Login • Instagram

PAT, Gil, StoppableSan and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mr Gharial

News of today's visit

New ropes have been placed in front of the restaurant exit of the bush. Probably to prevent the male crowned pigeon from escaping, since he's more active with the female on the nest.
    20220712_131418.jpg
    Concept art of the new bush restaurant can be seen
    20220712_134059.jpg
    It doesn't show much, but we can at least see that there will be a new entrance

KevinB, JurassicMax, Gil and 3 others like this.
  11. Lucky

Lucky Member

I am very excited by the bush restaurant renovation. The restaurant has always been my favourite place to eat in the zoo. However, it has become dated. Especially the toilets just feel kinda average compared to the ones in the Safari Restaurant. I hope the can make the bush restaurant something special again.

Mr Gharial likes this.
  12. Mr Gharial

The new addition of the terrace already made a huge improvement, especially on the visual level. I really hope they'll continue the Victorian era tropical trainstation vibe they've created (Only way I can describe it), but looking at the concept art of the new entrance, that certainly looks to be the case!

13. lintworm

In the Bush progress is being made on the leaf cutter ant exhibit. It will be some telegraph poles with the lines at eye-level from the bridge, connected to the coca-cola house:
    [​IMG]

Other notes from my visit & the latest ZieZoo:
    - New small fiddler crabs have been added to the Mangrove.
    - Crested bobwhites were everywhere in the Mangrove, with multiple individuals calling and activity throughout the hall, this species is getting really visible. Also saw 2 Allison's anoles in the trees around the butterfly identification sign.
    - Recent breeding successes include satyr tragopan, rose-bellied bunting, yellow-legged honeycreeper and violaceous euphonia. The wild European eagle-owls at the Safari have again raised 3 chicks.

Lucky, Gil, JoJo22 and 6 others like this.
  14. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are truly wild eagle owls breeding inside Burgers Zoo? Can they be viewed? Does the zoo highlight them in any way?

15. PicanBird

Regarding the leafcutter ants, they should go on-show this friday according to some of the volunteers!

JurassicMax and Mr Gharial like this.
  16. lintworm

This pair has been there since 2016 and they have been in several press articles, but there is no sign in the zoo for them. Being a rare breeding species (only several dozen breeding pairs, but increasing), exact locations are often kept secret. The nest is somewhere on the rocks near the Safari restaurant, but I have never seen one of the owls.

Yunha and Jurek7 like this.
  17. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is already one reasonably well known viewing place of eagle owls in the Netherlands, in a quarry in Maastricht.

If the zoo nesting place can be seen from a distance, for example from across the savanna, it would be interesting to make a viewing point. Especially that the recovery of eagle owls in Central Europe is in large part due to releases of cage-bred birds.

Haliaeetus likes this.
  18. PicanBird

Exactly, and with the rocks being somewhat climbable they really do not want people to scale the rocks just to disturb the owls.

Keith likes this.
  19. PicanBird

Fun news: The leafcutter ants are now officially on show, they are found at the livingstone bridge and the coca cola shack. Definitely a sight to see!

Lucky, JurassicMax and Keith like this.
  20. Lucky

Lucky Member

I really like the ants. Awesome and creative exhibit.

JurassicMax and Keith like this.