Join our zoo community

Burgers' Zoo Burgers' Zoo News 2022

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by PicanBird, 1 Jan 2022.

1. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

I spoke to a guide today, and he mentioned that the first prairie dogs are arriving mid to late April(!) from Blijdorp zoo. The porcupines would be arriving later, and there are plans to try and add the peccaries in as well, though I expect those to be separated from the prairie dogs.

They've basically finished all the rockwork, including the new ledges I mentioned on my last update.
    20220331_144423.jpg 20220331_144532.jpg

The Violacious Euphonias in Mangrove have chicks (that already left the nest at this point) and are really visible!

Keith likes this.
  2. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

0.0.3 of them, to be exact!

Kifaru Bwana and Mr Gharial like this.
  3. Mr Gharial

Antoine, JurassicMax and MennoPebesma like this.
  4. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

That is some good nows. Even though it is a intersting species leaving. Their enclosre was argueble one of the low points of the zoo. The leopards did not have a particular good exhibit either. So they can atleast have a decent enclosre

Antoine and StoppableSan like this.
  5. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And another attractive species that is rare in captivity leaves the zoo.

I disagree that their exhibit was a low point in the zoo, though not big it was ok for the small canines. Converting that exhibit into anything worth putting a leopard in will be near impossible, so I don’t understand this move at all.

But Burgers recently is on a fast train of moving interesting and rare species out and replacing them with far fewer and overly common species, so I guess I should just be surprised they aren’t putting a second group of ring-tailed lemurs in :(

Canihelpyou? and StoppableSan like this.
  6. Ursus

Truly the case of the spangled cotinga and turqouise tanager they added fairly recent...

Besides... Is rare species all that matters???

We are getting quite possibly one of the most unique looking display for prairiedogs in Europe.. A large exhibit inside a desert dome with plants and all that.
    To me that sounds lovely, sure the species is common, but that doesn't mean it's a bad choice or bad change.

The jackal phase-out is very understandable with their reasonings.
    Putting both the female and male leopard on display doesn't seem bad given they just want to give them more space, which is a plus for welfare!

The reindeer are also getting a replacement so eventually that will be filled up as well. So yes you lose some but you also gain some.

Therabu, Antoine and StoppableSan like this.
  7. GiratinaIsGod

"Rare" species like the jackels are quite overrated in my humble opinnion. I care most of all about animal wellfare, followed by conservation work. I would prefer a zoo full of zoo mix-lions, meerkats, ringtails and withe rhinos in great exhibits, over many species rarely keept in captivity in way to small exhibits witch need no breeding pograms.
    It is a fact that both the leopard and espicially the jackel enclosure are too small. Both leopards can't really be kept properlly. Like it was said, often only 1 of the 2 cats can even be kept outside. The expansion would be the most barebones necessity here. (Even though I would prefer in the longrun a compleatly new exhibit, the old one could be used for another smaller cat probberly).
    Burgers is known for its largecand natural exhibit. A smal cage, belonging in the 70s, is here quite the lowpoint. Very few exhibits, like the not much better leopard, or the bobcats can even be compeared.

8. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are 2 off-show leopard cages which are each roughly the same size as the jackal enclosure. So this problem does not exist, unless they want to increase the number of leopards they keep. I personally do not quite understand the reasoning why the jackals have to leave to make space for leopards.

If you think this leopard enclosure is too small, how many leopard enclosures are even acceptable for you. I for example cannot think of a single German exhibit that matches the one in Burgers' Zoo.

@jwer does have a point that in the past 10 years the mammal collection has been greatly reduced (by over 25%) often without replacements. If you look at the space that was exhibit space 10 years ago (around the Mangrove and near the entrance), but is currently nothing more than bare land, I understand his sentiment.

TeaLovingDave and JoJo22 like this.
  9. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial here, with your weekly desert update!

A lot of smaller plants have been added into the enclosure! I thought it would only be the trees at first, but we're seeing cacti and shrubs too!
    20220408_135744.jpg 20220408_135739.jpg 20220408_135425.jpg

The rockwork has now also been painted and is almost indistinguishable from the older rocks
    20220408_135452.jpg

On the lower path (that's currently closed off again), some new stylised lanterns have also been added
    20220408_135916.jpg

They seem permanent, but I can't say for certain that they're here to stay

They're also adding in large dead trees as climbing equipment

A small part of the Mangrove adventure path has been closed off, they seem to be adding in new dirt (since some holes have formed near the stream, I assume)

Last edited: 8 Apr 2022
  10. Mr Gharial

Canihelpyou? and JurassicMax like this.
  11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Good news for leopards, not so for the golden jackplug. Feel tad sad asvgolden jackal are making a comeback in Europe. Educational.

12. Ursus

I guess the zoo has a reason, one we may not think of or know or one we don't understand from our perspectives.

Regardless, I loved the jackals and I feel a bit sad about them leaving, but I am very glad to have seen them here for years regardless.
    I hope that Burgers' will get a canine back in the future cause this niche will now be lost from the zoo.

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. hamoomoo

hamoomoo Active Member

Does anyone know the names of the Lions in Burgers Zoo? Specifically, the large male? I can't seem to find out anywhere! Thank you.
    I visited today for the first time and thought the entire place was incredible! Highlights included the Fiddler Crab beach and the African safari plains. The theming across the zoo is really something else too.

Canihelpyou? likes this.
  14. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

If you scroll a few pages back the name of the lions were asked too, the answer can be found there :)

Glad you liked the park, it sure has a few incredible areas!

StoppableSan and hamoomoo like this.
  15. hamoomoo

hamoomoo Active Member

Many apologies, thank you!

16. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

haha no worries. If I may ask what species was your highlight?

StoppableSan likes this.
  17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zoos have a duty to engage the general public on their role within natural world and the importante of the restoration of lost species of which golden Jackal is one. It has just started to make a come back in Western Europe and the Netherlands and alike the discourse on wolves in the Netherlands we very much need the advocates for wildlife and their Rights of Way.

Same Goes for beaver, Eurasian otter, Eurasian lynx, Wolverine, Eurasian bear and other Carnivora, underrepresented in Western European zoos as native wildlife worth protecting (despite the erstwhile EAZA campaign European Carnivores).

KevinB, Yunha, Ursus and 4 others like this.
  18. hamoomoo

hamoomoo Active Member

I travel to zoos mainly for the cats so enjoyed the Lions, however the Fiddler crabs were awesome! What a great set up for them. Manatees are always a favourite, was nice to see them interacting together.

PicanBird likes this.
  19. GiratinaIsGod

I agree Manatees are also my favourite type of cat

20. Mr Gharial

The Online Zie-Zoo arrived today. With, among old news, also a statement about the new animals in the reindeer enclosure. I wouldn't get your hopes up though, as it will be used as a separation enclosure for the hog deer from Rimba.

Other news:
    Bristle-tail filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus) will be added to multiple Ocean tanks to battle the plague of trumpet anemones. They are currently behind the scenes "learning how to recognize and eat the anemones"