Join our zoo community

Speculative Burger's zoo project

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Mr Gharial, 6 Feb 2021.

1. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention that captured invasive nutrias will be taken into the larger walkthrough as well, hence the large amount of water.

Same for the raccoons in the desert expansion, captive invasive

2. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

Could you give a more in depth description of this area, such as the species in there, or has it been scrapped by the murals?

How would having a diurnal exhibit in a nocturnal house work? Also I'm pretty sure the kaka population is not sustainable at all, with I think only a few left in Wilhelma, so maybe replace it with a duck pond, with NZ Scaups, NZ Shovelers and NZ Black Ducks.

The map hasn't really made it clear so is the tree kangaroo and cuscus enclosure really only that small little square? Or do they have access to the cassowary enclosure?
    Why house gecko in a tropical Congo dome? Wouldn't it be more fitting to replace it with a forest gecko from Africa like maybe the cape dwarf gecko, or some other African gecko in Euorepean collections.

ParathePineapple likes this.
  3. Mr Gharial

Burgers outback - aboriginal caves.png

Well, this is the current "plan" of the aboriginal caves, though as you can see I have yet to plan a space for the nocturnal cave and there's only one aquarium for now, so this area will need a lot more planning

German Zoo World likes this.
  4. Mr Gharial

The New Zealand house isn't really a nocturnal house, it's just dimly lit. The geckos will have normal lighting while the tuataras and kiwis will have blue lighting similar to the ones in the nocturnal house.

That's a shame, would it be possible to add some other NZ birds. Because building an entire aviary only for ducks seems a bit extreme

5. Mr Gharial

I'm currently busy with making a map with all enclosure sizes. I think the enclosure is larger than you think.

Enclosure size comparison.png

I was actually originally planning on having them free-roaming in the house, as well as having access to the cassowary enclosure. But I wasn't sure if that would be safe for them

Also, if you compare it to the old map, the enclosure for the tree kangaroos is about as big (if not bigger) as their current hornbill aviary

Enclosure size guide.png

Last edited: 8 Feb 2021
  6. Mr Gharial

The house gecko refers to Hemidactylus mabouia, which does live in Congo and Gabon

7. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

No idea about what NZ birds are available in Europe so sorry.

8. Mr Gharial

How about red-crowned parakeets (Cyanoramphus novaezelandiae)

9. Mr Gharial

By the way, Does anyone have any idea what the purpose of this building is?
    BBuilding....png Building.png BUILDINGGG.png

And if it can be moved / removed. Because I've noticed that the American flamingo aviary is way undersized and this thing is the main reason

10. Mr Gharial

Which one of these would be better, do you guys think?

11. Mr Gharial

Do we know of Burgers zoo having any walkthrough enclosures in the past?

Apart from the "canyon" in the desert and the free-roaming animals in the Bush, Mangrove and Desert, they don't have any waklthrough enclosures. And I'm adding quite a lot (Every new region apart from Congo and Park has a new walkthrough enclosure)

MennoPebesma likes this.
  12. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

I know a vulture aviary was once a walk-through aviary. Once the vultures got close to mostly kids, they closed it. But that's years ago.

Can't think of another walkthrough enclosure.

13. Mr Gharial

Well, that's kind of a shame. Since that would definitely lower the chances of some of the more risky walkthroughs (such as shoebills, emus and sitatunga)

14. MennoPebesma

Overall those are nice plans for Burgers' Zoo. It also gives a good idea in what the zoo could do with eco displays in the future.

One question:
    How is the Grey langur enclosure in Apenheul semi-walkthrough? I think it's fully walkthrough.

15. Mr Gharial

The one in Apenheul is full walkthrough. The koala enclosure will look similar with the boardwalk and cover, but the koalas won't be able to get on the path

MennoPebesma likes this.
  16. MennoPebesma

Got it, thank you.

17. Mr Gharial

18. Mr Gharial

Alright, so it might be a little unproffesional but it makes for a good visual guide

Koala 1.png Koala 2.png Koala 3.png

That's the basic layout and size (with human for comparison)

I decided against the roofing, since it would be cooler if you could see the koalas climbing over the path

19. Mr Gharial

Burgers Safari
    (Sorry for taking a little while)
    Burgers Safari.png

I find the current Safari region incredibly boring and very not-African. Officially, it's based on East-Africa, which is bushland. But currently it's just a boring forest (At least, for the Cheetahs and Lions. The herbivore plains enclosure is unchanged). I kept the East African theme with all new animals. Though now also focussing on Somalia and Kenya

I'm personally a big fan of the monkey islands. Because you can see them on the ground from one side, and in their climbing equipment from the Plains walkway (which, for those of you don't know. Is quite far off the ground).

The beisa oryx moved from the herbivore plains enclosure to a smaller desert-styled enclosure together with Dromedary camels and Somali wild butts

The entire region got a rocky upgrade. With the three smaller enclosures being nearly fully-enclosured with rock walls.

The Cheetah and Lion enclosures accidentally got bigger in the progress, though this isn't really a bad thing, of course. The lions also gained some vertical space with extra rockwork.

Burgers Safari (Commersial version).png

20. Mr Gharial

Burgers Safari - Currently unnamed indoor house
    Burgers Safari - Indoor house (upper floor).png

On the top of the updated Safari region there's a currently unnamed small animal house. With an open concept chameleon enclosure (Similar to the one in Islands). As well as a crocodile enclosure.

There's also the possibility to go to the lower floor
    Burgers Safari - Indoor house (lower floor).png
    The lower floor includes multiple smaller terrariums, underwater viewing to the crocodiles, a nocturnal enclosure (yes, I will fill this zoo to the brim with nocturnal areas) and a tunnel-wall with Mechow's mole-rats

Burgers Safari - Indoor house (upper floor) (Commersial version).png
    Burgers Safari - Indoor house (lower floor) (Commersial version).png