Join our zoo community

Burgers' Zoo Burgers Zoo

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by Swedish Zoo Fan, 9 Dec 2007.

1. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hello,
    next year I'd like to visit Burger's Zoo, one of the reasons is to see after 10 years red hartbeests again ( I'm a great antelope-fan), so I'd like to know if I may to see them in a huge African savanna exhibit or they live only behind the scenes ?
    Thank you for your answer

2. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At the moment the Hartebeest's are not yet on the savannah. Near the stables are a few holding pens, and the animals that are not on exhibit are usually rotated between those holding pens. The pens are viewable, the stables are not. Apparantly, the animals go in those holding pens at least a few times a week, usually only half a day.

When you arrive, and nothing has changed then i'd recommend going past those pens at least 3 times during your visit, but even then you are not guaranteed to see them, since i've been twice this year and didn't see them. I'd give you a 50/50 chance...

3. condor

condor Well-Known Member

They are impressive but not that good for most birds either. Most breed poorly or not at all in the large 'jungle habitats'. Of course exceptions exist but most birds have a much higher breeding success in smaller aviaries with less or only a single species.

4. jwer

- An Aardvark has been sent to London Zoo, a new baby is allready on it's way
    - 3 spectacled langurs are arriving from England, they are a castrated male and two females. They will soon be kept in off-show quarantine before going into their new Aviary in "The Rimba" which they share with golden-cheeked gibbons (gabrielle). They are hoping to receive a male from Wuppertal somewhere next year.
    - Next year they are supposed to get a male tiger
    - The turkey-vultures are temporarily off-display (out of the desert) because they spread some rat-poison. They'll be back.

The latest RUMOURS however is that the Orang-utans will leave the park (currently they only have an indoor enclosure, which is discribed by just about everyone as the worst part of the Zoo). The warthogs will move to their Savannah. The whole area around it will then be their new exhibit, probably due to open in their 100th year anniversary.

What it is going to be is still a surprise (I doubt they are sure themselves yet). One of their staff once mentioned on the german TV that "it was going to be cold" but after the addition of sunbears last year, I doubt they'll take in polar bears. Considering the species that will be left in that area (bongo, blue duiker, red duiker and pygmee hippo) the people on the dutch zooforum are guessing an African Forest which i think is more likely...

5. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would like to ask anybody, if it is possible to observe all the animals in Savannah in their indoor exhibits if the weather goes wrong? Thank you

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The rhino's can't be seen in an indoor enclosure, I believe all the other animals can be visited in their barns. The lions and cheetah's remain outdoors, they don't seem to be bothered by lower temperatures, and are even more active.

I must say, I don't understand the criticism at Burgers Bush. It's a great exhibit, the most natural way even to display tropical animals, and there are hardly any large animals in here ( with the exception of the manatee's). For larger animals the rimba has been build. The desert is also a great display, although most animals are not free to wander around the hall. But where else can you find a desert display which looks that realistic, and even has turkey vultures flying freely through the desert?

7. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

Indra of Burgers' Zoo in Arnhem died on April 11th. This was confirmed yesterday. Indra was one of the former circus elephants who were confiscated by German authorities, and was send to the Dutch zoo together with her girlfriend Rekka on June 27, 2007.

She lost weight and had problems with eating. Her molars were almost gone.

8. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Burgers Zoo is the fist European zoo to breed spotted eagle rays(aetobatus narinari), last night one of the four females gave birth!!!

Other births in Burgers are forest reindeer(2), bighornsheep(3), griffion vulture, little pied cormorant, browl-antlered deer, muntjac, wrinkled hornbill, tawny frogmouth, eastern white pelican and elegant crested tinamou.

9. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

A siamang was born in Burgers earlier this week. The parents and baby can be watched in 'Rimba'.

10. lintworm

Burgers Zoo is now the only European zoo with Darters, TP Berlin sent his last male to Arnhem. Burgers Zoo now has 3,3 Darters.

There are also some births:
    5 Coati
    1 Sloth
    a 3. Giraffe
    2 Congo peafowl
    2 Snowy owl
    1 Bali myna
    2 Redbilled curassow
    1 Wrinkled hornbill
    3 Argus Pheasant
    2 Griffion vultures

11. lintworm

tomorrow 1,2 Dusky leaf monkeys will arrive from Israel. They will share their enclosure with nomascus gabriellae(gibbon)

12. lintworm

Mondaynight 2 spotted eagle rays were born!! This is the second time that Burgers Zoo breeds this magnificent animals and it are the first twins born.

13. lintworm

Gorilla Nimba gave birth, it's her first young.

3 Orangs left to Cologne.

Browlantlered- and hogdeer born.

14. lintworm

Next week 5 Orang Utans(2 females, 3 youngsters(born in 2004 and 2006) will leave to Sosto(Hungary), where there is an new enclosure built for them. The male will leave to Australia, according to a biologist.
    Another species that will leave the zoo is the thomson gazelle, now only kept behind the scenes, but it would be impossible to let them free on the Safari(because of the 27 zebra's, 10 gnu's,, the rhino's and all the other animals, it would cause to much stress)

But one of the white rhino's is pregnant and the youngster is expected in april-june. Mother is Kwanzaa(1999, Whipsnade), it would be her second calf.

2 species of american mystery rodents arrived in Burgers Desert, they are currently behind the scenes, but they will move to one of the enclosures in the tunnel between the Bush and the Desert.

15. jwer

Wonder where you got that information. They seem to be holding a breeding group behind the scenes for quite some time now, and where trying to introduce a batchelor herd into their Savannah exhibit. Are they going to give that all up?

16. lintworm

@jwer, do you read the zoosite forum??

17. jwer

ah yeah, found it on there now as well...

Beuh, finally a zoo with an interesting gazelle species, they never even made it to being visable to the public...

18. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry, my dear Oranje-Zoofans

But it's not clear for me: Will the thomson gazelles as a specie stay in Arnhem or not?

Thank for verifying.

19. jwer

They will completely leave the zoo as a species. They never have been on exhibit though...

20. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I've been trying to work out which orangutans are going to which zoos. Is this correct:
    Cologne: Cori, Cajunga and Wousan
    Sosto: Sarita, Sabatini, Tigu, Guesa and Maya
    Australia: Guru