Join our zoo community

Burgers' Zoo Burgers Zoo

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by Swedish Zoo Fan, 9 Dec 2007.

1. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Gigit 9 out of 9!

and it's Gusa not Guesa;)

2. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@jwer

Thank you:)

Too bad, because the thomies fit perfectly to the more and more East-African-Theme-Savannah in Arnhem (in the first phase, it was more South-African-based).

3. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Thanks, lintworm :)

4. lintworm

The last six Orang utans are gone, they all moved to Sosto(HUngary) together with siamang Finita.

There is a new rodent on show: the Hispid cotton rat, they live in one of the enclosures in the tunnel between bush and desert. They will share there exhibit with some cactus mice, but they are still off-show.

A buff-cheeked gibbon was born, it's the first breeding for this species in the Netherlands. This gibbons the gibbons will share their outside enclosure with the 3 dusky leaf monkeys, that arrived in september 2009.

5. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

So Guru has gone to Sosto too? I'm so pleased that they've all moved on; I'm sure their lives will be improved. Interesting that the siamang has gone with them :)

6. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what happened to female orang, Joke? I have her listed in 2007, aged 44, but not in 2008. Presumably she died?

7. lintworm

she died in 2008 probably of old age. Cause she is wildborn, they don't know her exact age, but the isb says born in 1964 +-2 years.

Guru indeed went to Sosto.

8. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information.

9. lintworm

Last night a white rhino was born, it's a male with the name Dozer. Mother is Kwanzaa(1999, Whipsnade), father is Gilou(19??, Beekse Bergen). It's the second calf for Kwanzaa(after Kara in 2006), for Gilou it's the first time. This is white rhino birth nr. 8 in Burgers zoo and nr. 32 in the Netherlands.

Also 3 cheetahs were born, in a few weeks they will be visible for the public.

10. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The last couple of days, only one lone male hartebeest has been on (and off) display at Burgers' Zoo. Yesterday, a young hartebeest was seen by a visitor but according to sources from within the zoo, the animal is bottle-fed.

Worst case scenario is that both the females have died, one giving birth and another perhaps to old age? At least one (young, Hannover born) male and a calve is still alive. I'll keep you updated when i know more...

The youngster is great news, specially in combination with the two born at Hannover this year but the loss of two females would be substantial...

11. lintworm

The former Orang utan enclosure ahs been completely renovated and is now home to a bachelor group of ringtailed lemurs, they will probably get company of black lemurs.

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The worst case scenario came true.... Both females died, one during ( or as consequense of) giving birth.

13. jwer

1.1 scalloped Hammerheads arrived today, but sadly the male didn't start swimming and died soon after arrival, fortunately the female seems fine. She's in a separate section of their largest "Ocean" tank (with the huge window), and I guess the idea is to put her in there later on...

14. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Another fine addition to a already very fine collection of Sharks and Rays.

15. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Anybody has the plan of Burgers Ocean?

I am especially interested why sharks in their shark tank (one with the big window) appear just occasionally to swim into view (so, presumably there is sizable off-show part of the tank). Is it connected to the "schooling fish" tank, and how?

16. jwer

Someone should be able to give you the plan, I don't seem to have it but i've seen it often enough.

The reason the animals appear to swim in and out of view is mostly smart lighting.

Not the best picture in the world, but you get the idea; http://www.zoochat.com/162/ocean-tank-122245/

The large cloth on the top right corner is huge and fully lit, while the background is barely lit.

Besides that, the sharks can dip below the visitor level right behind the shipwreck and disappear from view, which they often do. If you stand at the window and look very closely though, usually you can see the blue-ish back of the aquarium.

For another quick glimpse behind the scenes, you can watch the (dutch) newsmessages of the arrival of the sharks here;
    Omroep Gelderland - Nieuws - nieuwsartikel - Hamerhaai Burgers' Zoo overleden

17. lintworm

And they already have a new male hammerhead! He came this morning and is doing fine.

18. Sneeuwpanter

Sneeuwpanter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know how the scalloped hammerheads are setteling in? and are the already on display with the other sharks or are they still separated

19. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I saw them in the big tank on March 6th. The tank was divided in the middle by a huge net with all the other sharks and other fish on the other side. I don't know how it is now, though.

20. jwer

I haven't heared of a change, and i think i would have.

Afaik they are still in a seperated part of Burgers' largest tank.