Join our zoo community

Bygone collections

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by FBBird, 5 Nov 2010.

1. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone out there have any memories or photos to share of the following UK collections: Cromer Birdland, Cromer Zoo, Kelling Park Aviaries, Pan's Garden [Ashover]?

2. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Clinton Keeling wrote many books on closed British zoos; he moreover owned and ran Pan's Gardens. The books were home produced so only made as orders were recieved. After his death, the books have been unavailable, although numerous copies exist in private book collections. Ask around if you know any other zoo enthusiasts in the UK; someone is bound to have them.

3. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Some scans of the guidebook to Cromer Birdland. Quite a rare item it seems.

Attached Files:

4. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Maybe Windor Safari park should have a mention as well as they had an interesting collection

5. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

... so too did Belle Vue Zoo, Winged World, Cleethorpes Zoo, Glasgow Zoo, Kilverstone Wildlife Park etc but before this thread just turns into another general one on closed collections, for a quite comprehensive list it might be worth seeing:

Zoo History - Content

6. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you, Paradoxurus, that brings back memories. Cromer Birdland was a short-lived but interesting place. I knew Kelling Park Aviaries over many years, and was interested to see what other members recalled or knew about these and Cromer Zoo. I included Pan's Garden having never visited it but read Jill Keeling's early book and some of Clinton's stuff over the years. Anything else in this line would be of interest; and yes, I did know where to access a list of closed zoos.
    What I don't understand, as a new member, is why this thread doesn't show up on 'New Posts'.