Join our zoo community

Calgary Zoo Calgary Zoo news 2008-2011

Discussion in 'Canada' started by snowleopard, 15 Jan 2008.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

@Ituri: I can't help with you with your photo question, as I last visited the Calgary Zoo in 2006 and it was before the renovation of "Elephant Crossing" and the birth of the newborn. But I can tell you that on another thread (I can't recall which one) the ZooBeat member Taccachantrieri was highly critical of the $10 million renovation. He/she thought that the newly expanded elephant exhibit was still lacking...

2. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

I think you'll find this is mostly likely due to the overwhelming majority of zoo elephants being female...

3. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Yes, females also with behaviour bottle up emotions, as males just attack on the spot but you are very right,

4. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Actually,it was Swarna who attacked the keeper.She has a kind of aunt bond with the calf so thats probably why or maybe she sensed Rani was stessed

5. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Thank you, Zoogoer,

I guess that just shows you mess with the baby you mess with the whole family,

I've heard about that elephants keep vendetta's to humans because of many things, slughter of family and such ,

6. Quartz92

Quartz92 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I never knew they had bongos, when the zoo got the bongo's? I visited in 2006, what other new species do they have now?

7. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They've had a bongo since my first visit in 2004. He is in a wooded paddock beyond the zebra and lion exhibits.

8. snowleopard

Ituri is correct in regards to the bongo, and I just had to point out that the enclosure is absolutely fabulous at the Calgary Zoo. Spacious, naturalistic, heavily planted and perfect for a bongo!

9. Quartz92

Is there any new information about the calgary zoo's polar bears, the arctic, and antarctic addition?

10. snowleopard

I just received the latest Calgary Zoo newsletter in the mail today, and I think that it arrives 4 times a year. Anyone interested can sign up for free online, and I've had it coming to my place for a few years now. However, I'm not sure if non-Canadian residents can receive the 20-page mini-newspaper.

Anyway, it talks about the baby elephant that is now a 1 year-old, the baby gorilla that is a little younger, and the baby giraffe that was born this July. At the nearby Devonian Wildlife Conservation Centre there were 24 Vancouver Island marmots born in the month of June. Lastly, 4 new species of animal have been added to the zoo this summer: red river hogs, vietnamese mossy frogs, goeldi's monkeys and przewalski's horses.

11. NZ Jeremy

Oh, good additions...

12. Quartz92

Has anyone else seen the Calgary Zoos new layout? I was on it and will on it, I went to plants and animals and decided to go to the TransAlta Rainforest, I went and some of the animals have a * beside them, what does it mean as the website failed to say?

13. Quartz92

There is a seperate thread with that issue in it. But I think the * is a SSP thing

14. snowleopard

15. NZ Jeremy

What shame they are only on loan, Koala's always seem to be a big drawcard especially if their enclosure is done right... Thoughts..?

16. snowleopard

Koalas are arguably the second most popular animal in North American zoos (after giant pandas of course) because it is rare to find any and they have become iconic images of Australia. After San Diego it is all downhill in a quest for the cute and cuddly koala, but the Calgary Zoo will surely see a slight attendance boost by renting a pair.

17. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

Hopefully they can also recoup the costs of the expense browse and shipping costs.

18. NZ Jeremy

Why is it so hard to get some..? Australia keeping their cards close to their chest..?

19. torie

torie Well-Known Member

I think it may have something to do with the very specific diet of Koalas and will only eat eucalyptus leaves (similar to the way that Pandas will only eat bamboo) and eat rather large quantities of them so for a zoo to maintain Kolalas so part of taking on this species would be the need to secure large amounts of browse which i imagine may be quite expensive

20. NZ Jeremy

Eucalyptus grows quite readily in NZ, they even have a large grove at Auckland Zoo..!