Join our zoo community

Calgary Zoo Calgary Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Yi Qi, 6 Jan 2020.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As long as it is only Calgary Zoo talking problems amongst themselves and not engaging in any constructive dialogue with the Chinese panda management authorities it is unlikely to come to pass, I am afraid. It requires 2 to tango!

Not unimportant, I do believe is the fact that the Giant Panda deal at the onset was very much a fully supported national diplomatic effort on the part of both countries Canada and PR of China. To be seen to want to undo and renege on a long standing agreement by one party, may have far wider repercussions both diplomatically as well as in terms of economic and cultural interests far beyond this one agreement.

Whereas it is fine to have diverging opinions - I mean Calgary Zoo's position only here ... mind you -, I cannot help but think the continued unhealthy talk in the public domain vis a vis PR China might in some form or other be colouring the discourse here. Various issues in the public domain have recently gone back and forth over relations within some countries pertaining to relations with PR of China and not all of that has been quite the healthy and mature public domain discourse one might wish to expect, nay often being one-way, singular and unilateral with nationalist ressentiments at their core rather than rational inter-relational dialogue.

My question being: Is the Calgary Zoo really talking with the Chinese panda management authority or not and how will this affect it financially as reneging on any termed contract almost invariably has punitive fines involved?

Zorro likes this.
  2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Kifaru Bwana, you do bring up an excellent point about the zoo's constant public blaming of China for the fact they are not already back in China. It was one thing to announce they wanted to send the pandas back. Fair enough the public needs to know that's what they want to do and why. But this is getting international attention and the way they are framing it they are making China sound like the bad guy which cannot help the discussions with China. People tend to be more cooperative if you are nice to them. The zoo would probably be better served by just dealing with the Chinese officials privately. It is about what is best for the pandas and getting them home fast. Angering the very people who you need to help you do that by making them the villain isn't the best way to go about that.

It would be interesting to know what the penalties are for backing out of the deal. I don't think it would be unreasonable for China to demand the zoo pay for the relocation as well as the rest of the rental fee. China isn't the one breaking the deal. They sent the pandas. They would be happy to keep them in Canada until 2023 as promised. Calgary didn't plan as well as they could have by being so dependent on shipments from China. They should be penalized in accordance with the agreement.

We will just have to wait for the next installment in the great panda saga.

3. TZFan

Jungle Man likes this.
  4. TZFan

The giant panda saga has come to an end. Er Shun and Da Mao were packed up and shipped of Nov 27 for China. A sad and somewhat pathetic end to their visit but I am glad for their sake they are currently on their way home. Both are young enough that getting home now will mean both could be in breeding situations by early winter and can get back to contributing to their species survival.

Calgary Zoo reveals giant pandas Er Shun and Da Mao heading home to China Friday

Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  5. Kifaru Bwana

I do not think that Canada will have giant panda anytime soon again. A storm in a tea cup episode has ended. Speculation may now begin on .... What next for their multi million Canada$ investment?

6. TZFan

Oh I don't think pandas will be back for another 20 -30 years again and I'm cool with that.

I believe what is next up for Calgary will be converting the panda house for orangs but the pandas left three years earlier than expected and we are in the middle of a pandemic so... who knows? I also don't know where they are in their master plan. All I do know is the pandas leave and their space was to be converted for Sumatran orangs.

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. TZFan

The zoo has announced that the Pandas did pull in huge numbers during their shortened stay. Shocking I know! They did get to keep them for the most popular years and really the attendance draw would have just decreased like it did in Toronto. Cubs would have helped but to have had them in 2018 and 2019 did help bring in huge dollars. Now like Toronto Im sure they are saddled with a lot of panda themed stuff but it will still sell over time.

Despite early exit, giant pandas still worked their magic: Calgary Zoo | Calgary Herald

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. Kifaru Bwana

Hear, hear, ... all giant panda fans and bashers!

Multiply attendance increase of 200,000 by X amount of cash spent per visitor on attendance plus the et ceteras. What figure do you get?

9. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Well, few things to note:

1. The bears were only there for less than 3 years; evidence has shown that pandas do initially generate a positive net benefit when they are still novelties. Even in the article itself, it is noted that "... as expected, that novelty among the public declined in the second year..."

2. Part of the positive benefit came from the pair having cubs, which also boosts the net benefit when it happens - but for a lot of zoos cubs never happen.

3. The article noted that the COVID-19 pandemic cut their stay in Calgary short due to the difficulty of supplying the right bamboo, which indicates that they are a species which can become impossible to keep during an economic downturn or unforeseen global event.

4. The Toronto Zoo experienced its lowest attendance numbers in a decade while holding the pandas previously in 2017, "leading to a $5 million shortfall in revenues" (It’s goodbye to the Toronto Zoo pandas. They’re headed to Calgary on Sunday), which indicates that even the same pair in the same country only brought benefit to one of the two places they resided. In fact, given the $1 million a year payment to China + the cost of staffing, feeding, and veterinary care, the pandas quite possibly made Toronto's financial shortfall worse than it would have otherwise been.

m30t and TZDugong like this.
  10. TZFan

Here is a cool article about the recovery of the Vancouver Island marmot which has been possible in large part due to the efforts of Calgary and Toronto. Not really about either zoo but definitely shows the impact both zoos have had.

Endangered Vancouver Island marmots are making a comeback

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Kifaru Bwana

It has been reported upon in a conservation thread on the forum.

12. TZFan

StoppableSan likes this.