Join our zoo community

Zoologico de Cali Cali Zoo News

Discussion in 'Colombia' started by toto98, 22 Jan 2014.

1. toto98

toto98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. toto98

Finally the baby tigers are making their debut...their names are Kanu, Hati and Bali, which mean strength, power & Gold, or something similar, (the names are supposed to be the 3 main characteristics of a tiger)

http://www.eltiempo.com/Multimedia/...TOS-WEB-PLANTILLA_GALERIA_FOTOS-13464888.html

Unfortunately, the article says their mother is an albino individual (I dont know why poeple dont understand that a white tiger is different from being albino)

3. toto98

Sorry for not having the article in english, but you can look at the pictures, it is about the andean bear cub which was born on january, It is the second bear that has been born from the actual pair, the other cub "Manoba" is held at the Jaime Duque Zoo

Ella es Wii, la cría de oso de anteojos que nació en el Zoológico de Cali - diario El Pais

There are also 2 baby ring tailed lemurs, 2 collared peccaries, cotton topped tamarins and apparently there are some baby pacaranas on the way:):):)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. toto98

On thursday last week (22nd of january) the new Australia outback exhibit was inaugurated. The exhibit is an immersion exhibit that resembles an old farm in the outback. Although I have not visited (I plan to do it when I travel back to Colombia) I have been quite updated with the zoo news.

The exhibit is actually inhabited by Red kangaroos , Red-necked wallabies, Cacatua alba & moluccensis, Emus, bearded dragons, Budgerigards, Laughing kookaburras & Cockatiels. There are also black swans in the lake in front of the entrance to the exhibit. Although they have not yet arrived Perenties and lorikeets (not sure which species) will be part of the exhibit, making Cali the only zoo in LatinAmerica with perenties.

The exhibit theme is water management and how to take care of it. Hopefully I will be able to get some pictures to upload soon.

For now some pictures can be seen here:
    En fotos: animales de Australia, los nuevos huéspedes del Zoológico de Cali | EL PAIS
    En video: en el Zoológico de Cali ya hay un pedacito de Australia, conózcalo | EL PAIS

5. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Several 2022 births so far for Cali have included three Plains Zebra, a Brazilian Tapir, a Ring-tailed Lemur and seven Red-footed Tortoises. The zoo also recently received a wild-born Giant Otter pup that was found without its parents - reported on ALPZA's social media page.

Kifaru Bwana and vogelcommando like this.
  8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hopefully the wild-born Giant otter can bring in some new blood into the captive population ( when she or he is adult ).

Kifaru Bwana and Zorro like this.
  9. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

Via the AZA’s Twitter page, it shows a photo in their “Like” section of the Cali Zoo or Fundación Zoológica de Cali to have earned Top Honors in Exhibit Design for Por El Camino De Los Andes(Along The Andes Trail).

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member