Join our zoo community

Californian Sealions in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by jones, 1 Jan 2010.

1. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

@MennoPebesma I have been to Longleat Safari Park countless times. Admittedly I have not visited Longleat in over 5 years.The last time I did,there were at least 8 Sea Lions. To my recollection they were,Nancy,Zook,Belle,Milla,Buster,Jaz. I also remember a further 4 Sea Lions but thier names escape me.

MennoPebesma likes this.
  2. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

All numbers are from species360 (ZIMS), and are current as of the 9th of august 2021. Although I must say that species360 is sometimes wrong.

3. Okavango

Okavango Well-Known Member

Did you have any infos about sea lions in rotterdam ? I know that the Diergaarde Blijdorp has sent sea lions to Beauval in France in 1995.

4. MennoPebesma

I only know a little about the current animals in Blijdorp Zoo. I did find out that two animals left the zoo in 1995. Those are probably the animals you are referring to, but that is all I know.

5. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

@MennoPebesma can you please name the Sea Lions that are listed as currently residing at Longleat Safari Park?

MennoPebesma likes this.
  6. MennoPebesma

If I knew, I would give them to you, but I do not know them.

7. Okavango

Okavango Well-Known Member

The 2 transferred sea lions to Beauval in 1995 were the male Koen (1993-2018) and the female Mira (? - ?).
    Black and King, the 2 others males were born in 1993 in Krefeld. Do you have some infos about the population of Krefeld zoo in 90's ?

MennoPebesma likes this.
  8. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I remember seeing sea lions at Living Coasts before it closed, does anyone have any idea what their fate was?

MennoPebesma likes this.
  9. MennoPebesma

Unfortunately, no. The list I posted earlier is all I know about California sea lions in zoos.

As far as I know, living coasts has never had sea lions. They did have fur seals. When they closed, they still had one male and three females of that species. The male moved to Zoomarine in Portugal. The three females moved to AquaZoo Leeuwarden in the Netherlands. Meanwhile, two of the three females have sadly died. There is a thread about fur seals in European zoos: Fur seals in Europe

10. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ah, I must've been mistaken. Remembered the 'sea lions' being brown, so must've assumed it off of that. Memory glitch! :confused:

MennoPebesma likes this.
  11. MennoPebesma

At Longleat Safari Park Buster, a male sea lion, has passed away at the age of 26.

Source

12. sara

sara Member

Does anyone have the names of the Dublin sea lions?

13. MennoPebesma

Dublin Zoo has six sea lions as far as I know, three males and three females. The three females are Cassie, Florence and Seanna. One of the males is Nico, he is the breeding male in the group. The other two males will probably be pups. Their names I don't know.

sara likes this.