Join our zoo community

Camera Lens

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Everyonelovesatapir, 22 Mar 2022.

1. Everyonelovesatapir

Everyonelovesatapir Active Member

Hi, I don't know if anyone would know how to help here, but my zoom on my camera lens doesn't seem to be working. It was working fine last week when I was at Paignton but today I was going to take some pictures of the birds in the garden and it wont zoom. I can pull the lens out to zoom, but when I turn the zoom ring nothing happens. I appreciate this probably isn't the right place to ask, so I apologise but thought someone on here may have an idea of if its something that can be fixed or I need a new lens. Its only a £100 lens, so not the end of the world and I've had it a while, but seems strange that its stopped working.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help, and sorry to admin if I shouldn't have posted it on this thread.

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This might sound strange but it has happened to me. Are you using your lens in maual focus mode when it is set to auto, or vice versa?

3. Everyonelovesatapir

Always have set in auto focus mode. Auto Focus is working fine, just the zoom ring when you twist it, nothing happens, so the only way to zoom in is by moving it yourself.

4. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

What make of lens is it?

5. Everyonelovesatapir

6. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

If it is under warranty I’d definitely suggest exercising it.

If it still focuses but the zoom ring doesn't work any more then it may be the zoom mounting which is like a spiral controlled with cutouts / springs to move it through. That control mechanism can break or wear out

You can try a self exam / repair (which I have to say I’m too cowardly to ever try!) or if out of warranty perhaps ask Tamron for a quote to fix it.

Might be worth getting a quote as could come in cheaper than a new one. Tamron usually offer a good service (in my experience anyway).

If you have a local camera store however you could always take it in to see if they have a view. Not everyone has a good local shop of course but it’s worth it in case they can see it’s a simple jam or something.

7. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

If it's only a £100 lens then I wouldn't imagine a repair would be cost effective.

8. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Considering the low monetary value, I would first check if a setting or switch is wrong, possibly clean the contacts. If everything is set correctly and still has the problem, I would just use it as you described while I start searching for a replacement. Not worth putting any money in it.