Join our zoo community

Camera problem advice

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by LaughingDove, 25 Feb 2015.

1. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I have small problem with my camera involving the ring that is attached to the lens (this should be clear in attached picture).
    The ring has become loose and is able to slide along the lens freely. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what I should do about it. I was thinking of sticky-taping the ring onto where it should be and leaving it at that (I'm not too concerned about it looking bad) but I'm wondering if I need to get it repaired professionally.
    Also, does anyone know what it does? obviously, it shows how much it is zoomed, but I don't find this function necessary because the zoom is electronically shown on screen so does it do anything else?
    Thanks for any help.
    :)

Attached Files:

2. callorhinus

callorhinus Well-Known Member

I think that main function of this ring is dust protection. If it has not broken plastic edges I would try to attach it back by pressing it to zoom ring (maybe with rotation).

3. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If it doesn't affect the operation of the camera then I would try what Callorhinus said above or reattach it with a couple of spots of suitable glue.

4. LaughingDove

It doesn't seem to have affected the operation of the camera at all.
    Thank you both for the advice.
    :)

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Personally I would be worried about attempting any kind of repair, even a minor one, on a camera. The few times I have needed work I go straight to the repair shop. If it is simple and the shop is honest, they should charge very little based on what it takes them.

6. LaughingDove

At the moment I have the ring sticky-taped on to where it should be and although it doesn't look good, I haven't (touch wood) had any problems.

7. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Camera repairs are never cheap in my experience.

8. LaughingDove

I now have another camera related question/problem so I thought I would post it here.

A couple of times now I have received the message 'write error' directly after taking a picture and then 'read error' immediately afterwards when I have a look at the picture. I then turn the camera of and turn it back on again and everything is fine apart from the one last picture not being saved.
    This happened twice today out of over 1000 pictures taken and apart from that, everything is normal. I have copied the pictures onto my computer with no problem.

Is this an error with the SD card or the camera? And would you advise I do anything about it?

(also, this has happened once before a few months ago and I just ignored it and forgot about it)

9. Arizona Docent

Once you have saved all the photos from the card to the computer, you should reformat the card in the camera. Assuming it is a card problem, that should fix it. In fact you should reformat your cards regularly (I actually do it almost every time I am starting a new shoot).

The other potential explanation is if you were shooting in multi-burst mode and you tried to shoot too many photos in a row. The camera buffer (which stores photos temporarily until they are transferred to the card) may have filled up and you were still shooting.

10. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As you say, the problem could be either with the card or the camera. I would clean the camera's card slot with a blower brush and do the same to the card terminals. Then I would attach the card to your computer directly and format it (unless you usually do it that way, in which case format it in the camera). If the problem recurs, I would buy another card and hope that solves the problem - it's much cheaper than a new camera ;)

Alan

11. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

At risk of sounding highly ignorant, how does one reformat a card in a camera?

12. LaughingDove

Thanks, I will do. I was taking a load of pictures of signage all in a row so it could be that.

@sooty mangabey, at least with my camera, there is an option in the settings to format the card.

13. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It should be an option in the menu dealing with the memory card.

Alan

14. Arizona Docent

Go into the menu and look for the word FORMAT. (It will not say reformat, just format). When you hit the ok button you will get a warning saying that everything will be erased, ok to proceed? Assuming you have saved everything, hit ok again and it will reset the card as if it was new.

As for how to find "format" in the menu, it may be easy or hard depending on the camera. If you do not find it right away, either look up "format" in the index of the owners manual or look it up on YouTube.