Join our zoo community

Camera Trap Footage

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Steefo, 21 Feb 2012.

1. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have seen a few pictures with deer and bats. The bats are catching insects attracted by the deer.

Another 2 recent ones I saw were Hog deer moving over for a tiger snake to have a drink and a kangaroo moving out of the way for a Red Bellied Black to have a drink.

2. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Sounds a bit on the pricey side. I think I will wait until I have paid off my new DSLR before I consider a camera trap.

3. Monty

They are not all expensive. Our dollar high making cameras from the US good value.

Cabela's: Trail Cameras & Accessories

4. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

I envy you, such a great footage. Especially the otters and the badger, beautiful!
    Thanx for sharing!

5. Monty

Here are couple more trail cam shots taken by people I know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

I manged to capture bats in the past when the camera has been triggered by deers. I don't think you could i.d them though as they fly past so quickly. Then again I can't say I have tried capturing bats. It did work for birds but they are actually staying on the feeder. Maybe if you knew where they past through often? Would be interested in hearing if it worked.

7. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

Cool pictures of the snakes Monty!

8. nanoboy

Here we are, trying to use the technology to spot awesome wildlife, but in the States the cameras are marketed to hunters. GBA! (God Bless America! YOU-ESS-A! YOU-ESS-A! :D)

9. Monty

I think you will find that at least 99 % of all trailcams in Australia are bought by hunters as well. I bought mine mostly for hunting, but get some incredible photos of all kinds of wildlife. Here are some comments from the bloke who installed that trough and has his trailcam on it.

10. nanoboy

How exactly is a trailcam useful to a hunter? Does it send a wireless signal to your phone when it gets tripped or something?

11. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

we use them on are farm when hunting so that we can tell how big the animals are in that area and if they are frequently passing through the area. This way you know whether you can use an old blind or need to build a new one. Also, what the hunter will do is have the trail cam focused on the bait pile so they know if it is an actual bear coming to eat or just a very smart raccoon( :( It can be a pain to deal with those guys.)

12. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

not as much of a pain as it is to the Racoon when you blast it's ass to kingdom come I suspect :mad:

13. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

coudn´t have said it better

14. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

No but if we know it is a raccoon is raiding the bait pile we can just reinforce the bait pile even more.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2012
  15. Monty

You can find what how many animals are around and what time they mostly move past a location. Also find out if they are male or female and whether there are any older bucks with exceptional antlers or with poor antlers which should be culled. Sometimes people have found that deer do not visit a site for days after the camera has been set up as the human scent lasts a while

Most people with a camera go on to buy more as they try and study the movement of deer and a deer will often show up on another camera far away. Then people are after the perfect photo or rarely seen behaviour. Most hunting forums have a page on just trail cameras photos and there are some amazing photos of deer and other wildlife.

There is a big problem with the theft of cameras both here and is the US. I know of people who place a second hidden camera facing their main camera to get a photo of the thief if it gets stolen. Staff of some government departments have also admitted removing cameras they find, even though they have no right to and there is no ban on photography. It becomes an expensive hobby when you loose a few cameras.

Most cameras you have retrieve and download the photos, but record the time and date of each photo. There are new cameras which send the photo to a mobile phone, but they only work where there is phone reception. That could also become expensive if a windy day waves a branch in front of the camera and it takes 1000 photos of the branch and sends them to your phone at 50 cents each.

16. nanoboy

Now this is a really good explanation of how it is used - but it is genuinely one of those situations where I probably really need to experience it to understand it. ;)

17. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

Here's some footage I got of a muntjac deer taking an interest in my camera trap!

Curious Muntjac

18. nanoboy

Great footage!

Did you kill the deer after?

19. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

Thanks nanoboy. No I didn't kill the deer after, I use my camera trap purely for seeing what wildlife is in the local area and seeing what they get up to when there is no one around. :)

20. Monty

Good one, amazing teeth on those.