Join our zoo community

Can Guinea worm be completely eradicated?

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by DavidBrown, 20 Aug 2016.

1. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

People have been working diligently since 1980 to eliminate Guinea worm. It has been eliminated from most of its range, but a tenacious few of them continue to hold on.

This story has the gruesome natural history of what the worms do to people and the inspiring tale of a public health campaign against them that has mostly succeeded.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...p-table-main_guineaworm-1053am:homepage/story

2. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I find this a difficult subject, especially as parasites have an important role in ecology. Over the past few centuries, many species have become extinct because they impinge on humans. The increasing human population is adversely affecting wild habitats and many species. The eradication of the Guinea worm and other human parasites will probably lead to a further increase in the world population. What I find rather strange is how many people want to save animals that can and do kill people externally, but feel that the eradication of species that affect people internally is acceptable.

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Guinea worm is one of the nastiest parasites in existence. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. So I can face its extinction with the same equanimity as I would face the extinction of Yersinia pestis. A subjective and illogical opinion perhaps, but a humane one.

Alan