Join our zoo community

Can the Vaquita porpoise be saved ?

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by vogelcommando, 18 Aug 2014.

1. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

An idea that probably is stupid and if not, probably has been tought and rejected by true experts in this but...
    How about circling large portion of sea (or a sea pen, or even creating an artificial one in mainland, by side of the coast), having them vigilated 24 hours by a large team, and then, trying to attract the remaining vaquitas to it, instead capture them and kill them by stress? The vaquitas would swim naturally to the refuges and would not die of stress as the pregnant female did. Would be very difficult to find a convincing bait, but we should try anything for save the species before let them die out... Courtship sounds maybe? Or trained Army dolphins that lead them to the place?

If we could find a way to get all the vaquitas in a refuge, then the fishing nets would be not a problem for them anymore, allowing the population to recover... Experts in husbandry of porpoises from aquariums that bred them in the past and present, would be called for working here... I know all this sound too much idealist and optimistic, but... we cannot just wait until none left!

2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

This is at least not the public position of Fjord and Baelt, who have bred them several times (only one survived infancy and still died very prematurely) and say in their talks they are still hopeful of future success.

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  3. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

At least the porpoises in the Netherlands are rescued ones that can't be reintroduced. By not breeding them there's enough space available to house potential new animals.

TheMightyOrca and ZooBinh like this.
  4. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

BenFoxster and ZooBinh like this.
  6. vogelcommando

7. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

'Scientists estimate there may be as few as 30 vaquitas left.' Isn't the estimate still <20?

8. vogelcommando

9. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not sure if this has been posted, but here is a book on the subject: Vaquita

10. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hey, it looks like the ebook is available for free right now, both on this site and on Amazon! I already have digital copies (I got it in Spanish too) but if anyone reading this doesn't have it, it's a good time to get it!

11. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Thanks for the heads-up! Just downloaded it from Google Play :)

Arizona Docent and TheMightyOrca like this.
  12. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Last edited: 30 Oct 2020
  13. vogelcommando

14. carlos55

15. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It is pretty ridiculous how the species is going extinct without anything really being done.
    Baja California is a very tense area from what I know, the gillban will never see the light of day and even with a ban there would still be cases here and there.

Is there really a solution or is this a dead end ?

BenFoxster likes this.
  16. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

17. carlos55

Piden que Sea Shepherd permanezca en hábitat de vaquita marina
    Enviromental groups and national intellectuals ask that Sea Shepard remain in San Felipe, Baja California to protect the vaquita, after local politicians have requested that Sea Shepherd be expelled from Mexico after a fishermen died during a struggle with the conservationists and their vessel. Remember that the members of the Sea Shepard crew are U.S. citizens. Artículo en español.

18. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

What is your personal opinion on this estimado @carlos55 ?

BenFoxster likes this.
  19. carlos55

Sea Shepard must stay, because they are the only ones who are removing the fishing nets that affect the vaquita. The current Mexican government does not really support programs for protecting the vaquita , it is not a priority for this administration, sadly. However the gringos of the Sea Shepard badly need advice and help in dealing with the local population who simply sees them as foreigners who restrict there livelihood. Maybe the local universities could help on this matter. This must be done quickly because there are so few vaquita porpoises left and the situation is terrible.

20. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Interesting perspective, thank you for sharing, and one that I agree with.

This is almost always a problem in conservation when it comes to foreigners / "gringos" and local communities (whether the foreigners / "gringos" are from different countries or from the same country but a different region like the Mexican "Chilango" or the Brazilian "Paulista") and it is a very very hard dynamic to counter.

I think you are right that if Sea sheperd are to stay that they must attempt to engage in dialogue with the local communities and avoid the conflict becoming more entrenched but sadly I sincerely doubt that this will be possible now with this death of the fisherman.

I do think that this death was the worst possible outcome for sea shepherd, I dont envy the position that they find themselves in and I'm not particularly a fan of theirs or their heavy handed tactics but I wish them well in this effort to save the vaquita.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2021
    Arizona Docent likes this.