Join our zoo community

Can you list your 9 most favourite zoos and why?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 29 May 2016.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Thank you vogelcommando!

2. DuskTheKitty

DuskTheKitty New Member

1. Houston Zoo - I loved it both times I went there, it's a bit hard to explain why I like it so much, but I just do. Trust me on this one :p

2. St. Louis Zoo - Well, it was the first zoo I've ever been to, so nostalgia might play a part in my love for it, but I visit three times annually, and they always seem to be addig or renovating something (the most recent addition is the Tasmanian devil exhibit), which kind of amazes me, since admission to the zoo is free (but the city government does help pay for some stuff in the zoo, so it kinda makes sense).

3. Nashville Zoo - Though I was a bit disappointed as to the small size of the zoo when I first went last year, I can't hate it. There's so many cool exhibits it has, plus it's the first place I ever saw a tapir in person (they're my favorite animal, especially Lowland Tapirs), since the first time I went to Houston, the tapirs were off-display.

4. The Tulsa Zoo - My hometown zoo, so obviously this one deserves to have a spot on this list. The Tulsa zoo's nice, and its newer exhibits are some of the best I've ever seen or heard of for the animals that live in them. However, some parts of the zoo (the bear/lemur exhibits and the lion and tiger exhibits) are a bit outdated, although they're going to be renovated in the zoo's ten year 'master plan' (well, the tigers are going to be moved do Lost Kingdom: Tiger, along with the komodo dragons, the snow leopard, and the siamangs/ spectacled langurs).

5. The Oklahoma City Zoo - I've only been here twice, even though it's the second-closest zoo to where I live. I really don't like it that much; most of the exhibits are outdated. Just that simple fact. Half the exhibits were last renovated around 2005 (I'm just saying that, it might have been much more recent or much longer ago). Still, it's a decent zoo, but just not the best.

I haven't been to any of the zoos below :p

6. The Denver Zoo - The Denver Zoo is the one I'm going to next, since me and my family are stopping in Denver for a day on our way to Rocky Mountains National Park. There are tapirs there, and I've heard some pretty good things about it, so I'm pretty excited.

7. The LA Zoo - I guess now I'm listing them in the order of which one I'm visiting next XD Anyways, my brother reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyREALLY wants to go to E3 next year (that's a gaming convention, for anyone who doesn't know), so while we're in LA, we're also going to visit the zoo there (well, one of the zoos there :p). I know next to nothing (try saying that five times fast) about the zoo, so I have no idea why I put it on here, besides that I'm excited for it.

8. Miami Zoo - I've heard quite a few good things about this zoo, and seeing a walkthrough video of it, this zoo seems pretty promising. I hope to go there in the next few years, because I cannot wait to see it for myself.

9. San Diego Zoo - Of COURSE I had to put this on here. I've only seen the map of the zoo, but for when I go, it looks pretty promising. They have Malayan tapirs, and plenty of other things, too. I really know nothing more about it. Yeah.

3. Nikola Chavkosk

Thank you DuskTheKitty for nice and interesting explanation. I haven't been to none of the zoos you listed (I am from the least developed part of Europe), but I can easily pick up as my favorities, San Diego zoo, Los Angeles Zoo, Houston zoo, San Diego Wild Animal Park..
    First association for Nashville zoo that comes in my mind, are the clouded leopard that are (or have been kept) there.

Thank you all too that I haven't thanked, appart from DuskTheKitty.

4. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have only listed zoos I have actually visited, as I doubt people can really judge a zoo without visiting it.

1. Highland Wildlife Park; a zoo in lovely settings (and doesn't spoil them!) with a great collection.

2. Bristol Zoo; a zoo which knows how to use a small space, also there is some charm to it, which I can't quite place!

3. Yorkshire Wildlife Park; quite personal reasons having visited it every year since it opened (although it is slipping down the list).

4. Lotherton Hall (Bird Garden); another personal one, having visited lots! Also the cafe does excellent scones.

5. Chester Zoo; a great collection, but way too big to do in a day!

6. Twycross Zoo; it certainly has faults, but I like their monkey houses and it's general feel.

7. Kirkleatham Owl Centre; for such a small collection it has a lovely bird collection and feel.

8. Tropical Birdland; I can't argue with a great parrot collection!

9. Tropical World; I've visited here lots, similar reasons to Lotherton really.

Please be aware this is a rough list and I may list it differently at a different time (for example in a weeks time I may have changed my mind :p); I also find it difficult to rank zoos!

5. Nikola Chavkosk

Yes of corse, thank you a lot!

I can also change my mind in a weeks, ;)

6. Art4Animals

Art4Animals Member

Good list. I usually try to stop in at a zoo or two when I vacation. So far these are my top 9 that I have seen (excluding ones I have worked at since that would be bias :) I hope the ones I visited some 10 years ago or so have only improved and become even better. I was looking at if the zoo was involved in conservation work outside it's own gates, yard appearance, general welfare, and educational signs.
    1- FOTA in Ireland. I found it to be simply amazing yards and they didn't try to have too many large animals. Sometimes keeping it simple is best.
    2-Tier Park Berlin. I can only imagine if the cat area has been redone, how amazing this place is now. Beautiful grounds.
    3- North Carolina Zoo US. Probably my favorite zoo in the States. Love the walkways and yards.
    4-Zoo Atlanta US. Just liked the overall experience there. Good educational signs, and very nice collection including Bush Dogs and Raccoon Dogs.
    5-Warsaw Zoo Poland. Some of the exhibits (Polar Bear, Tiger, and maybe close the old bear exhibit by the road outside the zoo gates) could use a little updating, but I liked the overall feel of the city zoo and location. I liked the lion dome and P Horses.
    6-Animal Kingdom Florida US. Sure it isn't a proper zoo it's a theme park, but their enrichment, training, and conservation programs are amazing. Good sized yards and of course lots of educational messages all around and its on the happiest place on earth (if you can afford it)
    7- London Zoo UK. Nice all around zoo and they are involved in some great conservation like the Sumatran Tiger.
    8-Henry Doorly Zoo- Nebraska US. What else is there to do in Nebraska? Very nice zoo (the cat area could use expanding IMO.) Some of the best exhibits in other areas I have ever seen.
    9- KL Bird Park. My video below will show why. Very nice collection of hornbills.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxju1CnjCtM

7. Nikola Chavkosk

Interesting choice, thank you for commenting!
    Also first time I read about Fota zoo in Ireland, and looks very nice on google images.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2016
  8. Art4Animals

Art4Animals Member

yeah, FOTA is amazing, and it is sort of near The Donkey Sanctuary which is another fine place. I forgot to mention the Toronto Zoo, I really liked it when I visited some years back.

9. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm only listed zoos I've been to myself, and bare in mind this list will likely be changed in a few months!

NOTE: I'm rating these in terms of my own visits so some of my reasons for rating a zoo may have changed since and if I revisited I may feel a little differently. For example, the closing of the nocturnal wing at Philadelphia, closing of the invertebrate house at Smithsonian, and the loss of Sumatran Rhinoceros at Cincinnati.

1) Bronx Zoo: Excellent collection of animals as well as mostly excellent enclosures. Very nature grounds with lots of native wildlife. Do a lot for conservation in the wild through the WCS. Been visiting since I was a small child.

2) Philadelphia Zoo: Great collection, some very nice exhibits. Continuing to better themselves within their small space by creating trails for their animals to use to explore outside of their enclosures.

3) Smithsonian National Zoological Park: Great collection and very nice exhibits. Admission is free. First zoo I ever visiting (at a few months old).

4) Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo: Good collection, some nice exhibits and enclosures.

5) Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens: Excellent collection of animals, some great exhibits and enclosures.

6) Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden: Excellent collection, a few good exhibits. Sumatran Rhinoceros.

7) Roger Williams Park Zoo: Good collection, nice exhibits. Solid small zoo.

8) St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park: Excellent reptile collection, mostly great exhibits. Some very nice bird species. Keeps most crocodile species.

9) Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo: Good collection, good exhibits and enclosures. Home zoo. Solid small zoo.

~Thylo:cool:

10. Nikola Chavkosk

Thank you for descriptions

Does the tunnel-system enclosures at Philadelphia zoo are still in function - great idea? Are they maybe even advanced by adding more and longer tunnels?

About Tampa's L.p. zoo, they have huge enclosure for water birds, including shoebills, does the shoebill chick is already grown?