Join our zoo community

Cancelled Exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by MonkeyBat, 8 Jan 2020.

1. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

It's unfortunate this never came around. Most master plans ignore rarer species, but pacaranas and white lipped peccary were included. It's a shame they never showed up. Also manatees would have really put the zoo on the map, I believe they'd be the only ones west of Dallas.

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

The website where I found it said it was for the Brandywine Zoo.
    Amazon Rainforest Building
    I'm especially excited about the Red River Hogs and Komodo Dragons in the master plan, but I will miss the Giant Anteaters from the cancelled rainforest building.

Jungle Man likes this.
  3. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

Dallas zoo planed on making a sloth bear exhibit near the endangered tiger habitat. Not much more is known about the project. Like superior zoo had a very ambitious master plan 2010 that was pulled of the web a few years back.

4. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Izmir wildlife park had plans for a sloth bear, penguin, and otter habitat along with a South American expansion. There hasn't been any update regarding those plans, probably due to local bureaucracy.

5. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Do you mean Lake Superior Zoo?

6. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

Yes, yes I do

7. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One of the most outrageous cases I know, of not only cancelled exhibits, but also loads upon loads of cancelled masterplans is the Barcelona Zoo. All of the following were cancelled ideas:
    - In the 1930's, before the outbreak of the civil war, they wanted to relocate the entire collection to Montjuic (the hill upon which the olympic stadium would be built about 60 years later).
    - In 1999, the idea was to relocate the zoo to the delta of the Besós river, where it would open at the same time as the Universal Forum of Cultures in 2004. However, as history shows, the latter was inaugurated solo, the zoo remaining where it was.
    - In 2009, the project of splitting the zoo in two was at hand, to the point where the building site still exists near the Forum to this day, although it was put on hold (AKA cancelled) in 2011 by mayor Xavier Trias. The idea was to turn the Ciutadella Park's zoo into an exclusively terrestrial zoo (split up into American, African and Asian rainforests, Mediterranean, Asian steppe and African Savannah areas, with a de-attatched rainforest house) and build a marine zoo (with its areas being mangrove, islands, wetland aviary, temperate coasts, arctic coasts and open ocean).
    - In 2012, a new project came out, focusing solely on the Parc de la Ciutadella. While some aspects of this plan, such as the Sahel Savannah biome and the orangutan exhibit, have come to fruition, others, such as the dolphin lagoon, have been cancelled.
    I currently can't find specific websites or images to show you these plans, but later on I'll try to find sources to back up my claims. Stay tuned for more!:cool:

StoppableSan and MonkeyBat like this.
  8. Salt Merchant

Salt Merchant Well-Known Member

HerpetoZone, Raja Ampat themed aquarium, and the Humboldt penguin exhibit at Sea World Ancol, were canceled due to limited funds and space.

The only species I know of so far that are planned to be showcased at HerpetoZone are the green iguana, alligator snapping turtle and New Guinea crocodile. The Raja Ampat Aquarium is planned to house Indonesian speckled carpetshark.

The penguin exhibition plans were transferred to Ocean Dream Samudera in 2018, which they managed to build and open in 2019.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2020
    MonkeyBat likes this.
  9. red river hog

This isn't really a specific exhibit that was cancelled, but the Philadelphia Zoo's original plan for their Zoo360 trails was a lot more complicated.

1. Treetops Trail (the trail that connects the Rare Animal Conservation Center to the Primate Reserve) was going to go beyond the Primate Reserve and into Bird Lake, where they were going to have primate islands.
    2. The primates would also have access to what is now Meerkat Maze and Outback Outpost
    3. Outback Outpost would have multiple trails attached to it and would have the primates from Treetops Trail, Polar Bear (at the time), and Chapman's Zebra Southern White Rhinoceros .
    4. Bird Valley would be a part of the African Plains and Chapman's Zebras, Southern White Rhinoceros, and African Bush Elephants would be able to rotate.
    5. The Sloth Bears, Western Lowland Gorillas, or Siberian Tigers would be able to have access to a few habitats near what was Carnivore Kingdom.
    6. The Southern White Rhinoceros, Chapman's Zebra, and Giraffes would be able to cross over into where the Red River Hogs, Saddle-billed Storks, and others are kept and vice-versa. There would also be a trail connecting it to the elephant habitats.
    7. The Hippopotamuses would have a swimway around the largest island in Bird Lake.
    8. The Beer Garden and Picnic Grove area would have three connected habitats for African Bush Elephants. They would also be able to go to what is now Bird Valley.
    9. There would be a second Cheetah exhibit near Carnivore Kingdom.
    10. African Wild Dogs would have another connected exhibit nearby.
    Here's a link to the map. Redirect Notice

10. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I believe the expansions of the trails are not so much cancelled as in planning. Perhaps not to be realized anytime soon but not rejected.

11. red river hog

Well a lot of the things that didn’t happen we marked as “not in preliminary budget,” so I assumed that they aren’t happening.

12. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, as far as I know a lot of those plans which are still possible the zoo still wants to do, but whether it actually ever happens is another question entirely.

~Thylo

nczoofan and red river hog like this.
  13. red river hog

Yeah, I heard that they have plans for the south end of the zoo to expand the African Plains.

14. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last I heard the South End will have a new giraffe house/exhibit. As well the rhino, hippo, zebra, and cheetah will either have their exhibits renovated or get new exhibits all together. These are planned to be linked by trails (Except for cheetah), with potential for more species in the mix. Also the flamingo were to be moved down here and a holding building/exhibit for cats and apes was to be built allowing an expansion of the trails for those species. My information is all a couple of years old though, although even if canceled it shows their priorities is to give better homes to the animals in African plains.

ThylacineAlive and red river hog like this.
  15. Tapir Master

Tapir Master Well-Known Member

They could go for a new Master Plan depending on if the Above and Beyond campaign is successful or not.

Not that I mind. Some of these are honestly good ideas to consider if they can perhaps get the needed financial support. Especially the entire elephant expansion and sky rides.

16. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

The zoo de Vincennes in Paris planned to build a Sifaka aviary in the early 2000's, never built due to the lack of funds and the general decay of this zoo.

And the small Fréjus Zoo (Southern France) planned to have a Giraffe plain in the early 2010's, without any realization for 10 years.

Last edited: 28 Aug 2021
    StoppableSan likes this.
  17. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In addition to the polar bear exhibit, Roger Williams also canceled plans for a New England Trail in the Children's Zoo. It would have included canada lynx, river otters, Porcupine, Great-horned Owl, and wild turkey.

The Capron Park Zoo planned for a 3-acre expansion onto the adjacent field approximately 10 years ago. The expansion would have been an African Savanna exhibit, with zebras as a rumored inclusion (one article also mentioned elephants, something I highly doubt was seriously considered). It was dropped due to funding, with the Lemur Islands being the only part of the complex completed. Zebras were also planned back in 2003, but various logistical issues led to the zoo choosing kangaroos instead.

Last edited: 29 Aug 2021
    MonkeyBat and StoppableSan like this.
  18. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Are you sure? I thought that was going to be in the Big Backyard.

19. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Big Backyard is the Children's Zoo. We are thinking of the same thing.

20. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Too bad this didn't come to fruition.

red river hog likes this.