Join our zoo community

Canids of the World (Princeton Field Guides)

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Giant Eland, 31 May 2018.

1. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Okapipako, snowleopard and Crowthorne like this.
  2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Let's hope it is better than it's predecessor, especially in the editing, but also in being more critical to proposed splits....

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for promoting this book and you beat me to the punch...haha!

Is there going to be a third book in the series (Felines of the World) in a couple of years? :)

4. Giant Eland

That would be my guess. I asked Dr. Castello, so hopefully we'll find out the answer shortly.

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I know what Castello was planning as his third book when I discussed the matter with him a year ago, but this may not be the case anymore so it is probably best I keep quiet for now. It wasn't felids, however.

snowleopard likes this.
  6. Okapipako

Okapipako Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have to confess I'm much more of a fan of illustrated plates in guides like these but both look to have great, crisp photography. I'm very interested in this provided it's more in depth on canids than say Carnivores of the World. I've been meaning to pick up the bovids one. Even if I'm not a fan of the splitting either, having such clear visual references for so many subspecies and other variations of one of my favorite mammal groups is pretty hard to pass up as an artist : ) So even if the canid book's taxonomy goes split crazy I won't be too upset!

7. Giant Eland

I agree, just means we get more photographs of more variations- and you can still decide on your own whether to treat them as species or subspecies.

Alsoo, just spoke with Jose Castello and his plan is to work on Felids next!

If anyone here has photos they think could be of use, especially of rarer species, PM me and I'll give you his contact info.

Okapipako likes this.
  8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The problem with many photos in the Bovid field guide is the issue of lighting, making some taxa more dull and other much more bright than they are in real life, this problem pops up over and over again in his field guide. The plates by Toni Llobet are a much better reference in that regard.

Okapipako likes this.
  10. Okapipako

Okapipako Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Daaang, all those gray wolf and red fox subspecies. And like four pages of dholes... And size comparisons! I'm already pretty tempted.

It looks like new taxonomy is used, with the dholes after red wolves and before side striped jackals. Wonder if they'll use Lupulella.

11. Giant Eland

Oh I absolutely understand that sentiment. But we've already got the Llobet plates and now we've also got a ton of photos- some of very rarely photographed species.

For both there's something really appealing to me to see the animals with a white background- reminds me of "Collins Guide To the Rare Mammals of the World" which happens to be probably my favorite book from growing up.

Okapipako likes this.
  12. snowleopard

Felids and Hyenas of the World (Princeton Field Guide) has been published and it can be ordered from this website:

Felids and Hyenas of the World

There are 41 felids and 4 hyenas in the book, along with 150 color plates and more than 600 photos.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2020
    twilighter and Arizona Docent like this.
  13. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very interesting that they are throwing hyenas in with the felids. I suppose at only four species (of hyenas) there are not enough to justify their own book and they are more closely related to cats than dogs?

FYI the link shows the Felid book price as hardcover 79.95US/66GBP and paperback 29.95US/25GBP. I think I may order the paperback. (Edit - I may order the canid book as well to have a more complete carnivore set).

snowleopard likes this.
  14. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Not quite - the publication date is quite some time away as yet :p

Arizona Docent likes this.
  15. snowleopard

No wonder I don't see the book on Amazon. I own Bovids and Canids and it appears that the book is easily ordered via the Princeton University website. However, it is $29.95 but as for shipping to Canada I could only get $0.00 as a postal cost and so I emailed the company to see what is going on. Obviously nothing is free these days. :)

For those that don't know, the Bovids book is 664 pages and double the size of either Canids or Felids.

16. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes as I was looking at the link (Princeton) it lets you order it but I noticed on the bottom it says publication date 11/10/20. When I checked on Barnes & Noble it lets you pre-order but says it won't be available until November 10, 2020.

snowleopard likes this.
  17. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dr. Castello announced in FB the preparation of a new book dedicated to Deer.

snowleopard and Tim May like this.