Join our zoo community

Canids

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Meaghan Edwards, 5 Mar 2009.

1. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are there any Pampas Foxes in captivity? There are probably a few in some unknown South American institutions, but I haven't heard much of them.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Just checked my hasty copies of the canid records from ISIS to give you a full picture of canids held in the USA.

DISCLAIMER - bear in mind that these may not be fully accurate due to ISIS not always being updated, and these records having been copied 9 months ago now, before the site went down for the public.

Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center, Arizona keeps 5.9 Canis latrans x lupus

29 collections in the USA keep Canis latrans, with a total of 73.48.5 individuals.

Wolf Park, Indiana and Dickerson, Montana hold 0.1 Canis latrans frustror each.

Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center, Arizona holds 0.1 Canis latrans latrans

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Arizona hold 1.1 Canis latrans mearnsi

Moonridge Animal Park, California holds 0.1 Canis latrans ochropus

Texas Zoo, Texas hold 0.1 Canis latrans texensis

38 collections hold a total of 54.64.1 Canis lupus

4 collections hold a total of 5.2 Canis lupus arctos

22 collections hold a total of 61.59.4 Canis lupus baileyi

5 collections hold a total of 4.6 Canis lupus dingo

14 collections hold a total of 15.15 Canis lupus hallstromi

6 collections hold a total of 7.14 Canis lupus hudsonicus

5 collections hold a total of 21.19 Canis lupus lycaon

Wolf Park, Indiana and San Diego Zoo, California each hold 1.0 Canis lupus occidentalis

San Diego Zoo, California holds 1.0 Canis mesomelas mesomelas

28 collections hold a total of 41.73.1.7 Canis rufus

7 collections hold a total of 3.8 Canis rufus gregoryi

Wolf Park, Indiana holds 1.0 Canis rufus rufus

28 collections hold a total of 33.38.3 Chrysocyon brachyurus

3 collections hold a total of 2.3 Cuon alpinus

3 collections hold a total of 6.6.1 Cuon alpinus lepturus

28 collections hold a total of 29.33.1 Lycaon pictus

30 collections hold a total of 50.41.1 Lycaon pictus pictus

Red River Zoo, North Dakota holds 2.2 Nyctereutes procyonoides

17 collections hold a total of 19.19.5.5 Otocyon megalotis

7 collections hold a total of 11.8.2 Otocyon megalotis megalotis

5 collections hold a total of 12.9.1.5 Speothos venaticus

Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center, Arizona holds 2.1 Urocyon cinereoargenteus x littoralis

10 collections hold a total of 7.10 Urocyon cineroargenteus

Moonridge Animal Park, California and Project Wildlife, California hold 0.2 and 1.1.1 Urocyon cinereoargenteus californicus respectively

3 collections hold a total of 3.2 Urocyon cinereoargenteus cinereoargenteus

Audabon Zoo, Louisiana and Birmingham Zoo, Alabama hold 1.1 and 2.0 Urocyon cinereoargenteus floridanus respectively

Red River Zoo, North Dakota holds 0.1 Urocyon cinereoargenteus ocythous

Amarillo Zoo and Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Arizona hold 0.2 and 0.1 Urocyon cinereoargenteus scottii respectively

6 collections hold a total of 7.0 Urocyon littoralis clementae

Santa Barbara Zoo, California holds 1.0 Urocyon littoralis santarosae

San Diego Zoo, California holds 0.0.1 Vulpes corsac corsac

18 collections hold a total of 18.22.13 Vulpes lagopus

4 collections hold a total of 3.6 Vulpes macrotis

18 collections hold a total of 13.19.4 Vulpes velox

10 collections hold a total of 7.16.1 Vulpes velox velox

26 collections hold a total of 23.26.2.2 Vulpes vulpes

9 collections hold a total of 8.7 Vulpes vulpes fulvus

34 collections hold a total of 38.44.3.6 Vulpes zerda

Interestingly enough, unless I neglected to copy their records, it appears there are no Pampas foxes or Tibetan sand foxes in captivity in any ISIS institutions worldwide.

3. condor

condor Well-Known Member

I guess Santa Cruz zoo (Bolivia) isn't an ISIS member: http://www.zoochat.com/1426/pampas-fox-248369/
    I believe I've also seen pampas fox in an Argentine zoo but I´m strugling to remember the exact zoo

4. TeaLovingDave

Or, of course, I accidentally missed those records :p after all, I copied them all over the course of an afternoon hurrying to get as much as possible before it all went offline.

5. 6647

6647 Well-Known Member

Having not much time to visit zoos, I've only seen Gray Wolves, Red Wolves, African Wild Dogs, Gray Foxes, Red Foxes, Coyotes, Fennecs, Bat Eared Foxes, and Dholes. The more generic stuff, to say the least.

I'd like to see Maned Wolves, more Dholes, Tibetan Foxes, and, probably number 1 on my dog wish list, Bush Dogs.

6. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say Dholes are generic at all. Very, very rare in collections.

Pleistohorse likes this.
  7. 6647

6647 Well-Known Member

True, I forgot to mention that.

I saw the Dholes at the Carnivore Center at the Wilds.

8. TeaLovingDave

Don't you dare complain about having grey foxes ;) there are none outside of the USA according to my information!

9. 6647

6647 Well-Known Member

Well excuuuuse me, Dave! :)

That's a shame, then. We see them in the wild over here, so it's not exactly a rare sight anyhow.

10. condor

condor Well-Known Member

The only canid species that to my knowledge haven't been kept in any zoo in the last decade are Ethiopian wolf, Tibetan fox, pale fox, Darwin's fox and short-eared dog.

I don't think there are any crab-eating fox*, culpeo, South American gray fox, pampas fox, Sechuran fox, hoary fox, Indian fox, Ruppell's fox, Blanford's fox and side-striped jackal in North American or European zoos, but they are kept in zoos in their native ranges.

* a three-legged specimen lives in Shy Wolf Sanctuary in Florida, but it isn't really a "zoo" unless using the broadest possible definition of the word.

11. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Ha! Yes, you say 'generic' but there's two species there I've never seen and would very much like to! :D

(and a third - the Coyote - that I've only seen on three occasions in the space of a little over a week fourteen years ago!)

12. TeaLovingDave

In terms of ISIS collections....

Crab-eating fox

Cerdocyon thous is held by 5 South American collections, which hold a total of 16.11.5 individuals

Cerdocyon thous aquilus is held by Barranquilla Zoo, Columbia, which holds 1.1 individuals.

Culpeo

Lycalopex culpaeus is held by 3 collections in South America, with a total of 3.3.2 individuals held.

South American gray fox

Lycalopex griseus is held by Zool.Nacional Parque Metro De Santiago, Chile and Jardin Zoologico de Cdad.Buenos Aires , Argentina, with a total of 3.2 individuals held.

Pampas fox

As mentioned before, no ISIS collections seem to hold this species.

Sechuran fox

Lycalopex sechurae is held by Parque Zoologico Huachipa, Peru, with 1.3 individuals.

Hoary fox

Lycalopex vetulus is held by Fundacao Zoo-Botan. de Belo Horizonte, Brazil, with 2.1 individuals.

Indian fox

Vulpes bengalensis is held by 3 Indian collections, with a total of 3.3 individuals held.

Ruppell's fox

Vulpes rueppellii is held at 3 collections, one in Spain, Israel and UAE respectively, with a total of 8.4 individuals held.

Vulpes rueppellii sabaea is held at Maktoum Wildlife Centre and Sharjah Breeding Centre, both in UAE, with a total of 16.14 individuals held.

Blanford's fox

Vulpes cana is held in 4 collections, 3 of which are in the UAE and the final one in Spain, with a total of 20.10.0.3 individuals held.

Side-striped jackal

Canis adustus is held by Johannesberg Zoo, South Africa, which holds 0.2 individuals.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2012
  13. TeaLovingDave

I echo this fact - even in Europe, jackals are pretty few and far between, but they are common as muck compared to coyotes! As alluded to before, there are no red wolves or grey foxes whatsoever over here. In fact, only two non-USA collections hold the grey fox, even though they range into Central and South America.

14. condor

condor Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the data. If the Spanish zoo is Madrid I'm afraid they don't have it anymore. It is kept in non-ISIS Israeli zoos.

The culpeo, Lycalopex culpaeus, which you didn't mention, may not be in any ISIS zoos, but are kept in Quito (Ecuador), La Paz (Bolivia--not sure they still have it, but they did in 2008), Buin (Chile), Santiago (Chile) and probably elsewhere. IUCN says it is common in Argentine zoos, but I don't remember seeing it there. Perhaps I've just forgotten or it is one of the Argentine zoos I haven't visited. Unfortunately there are many zoos in South America and Asia that aren't ISIS members.

15. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I can recall seeing crab-eating fox at London Zoo in the 1960s; they were housed in the old Deer and Cattle sheds. The species bred there too in three consecutive years (67, 68 & 69) but sadly the young did not survive.

(In the early 1960s, after the Cotton Terraces were opened, the deer were moved there from the old Deer & Cattle Sheds; the wild dogs were then moved from the old North Mammal House to vacated deer accommodation.)

16. TeaLovingDave

According to ISIS, Oasys Parque del Desierto de Tabernas holds 1.1.0 Blanford's fox.

Yeah, ISIS lists a fair few culpeo holders - just forgot to mention them :p have edited my original post with a summary, but here are the full details:

Culpeo

Parque Zoologico Huachipa, Peru holds 1.1.2
    Fundacion Zoológica del Ecuador, Ecuador holds 1.1.0
    Zool.Nacional Parque Metro De Santiago, Chile holds 1.1.0

17. TropicWorld54

TropicWorld54 Well-Known Member

For me I have seen Red Wolves, African Wild Dogs and Mexican Grey Wolves the most. I have only seen coyotes in one zoo (Cosley) but I see them in my backyard very often.

18. 6647

6647 Well-Known Member

Fine. :Generic for the USA:

Is that better? :)

19. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for all the info TeaLovingDave!
    My list is (only captive animals, so wild foxes and coyotes don't count for me):
    Gray Wolves- Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo
    Red Wolves- Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo, Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo, Roger Williams Park Zoo
    Maned Wolves- Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo
    Red Fox- Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo
    African Wild Dogs- Bronx Zoo, Roger Williams Park Zoo
    Fennec Foxes- Bronx Zoo, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
    Coyotes- Naples Zoo
    Gray Foxes- Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo
    New Guinea Singing Dog- Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo

20. MattyP

MattyP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Generic! I'd love to see even half of these species. The only canids we have in Australian zoos, apart from dingoes, are African wild dogs, maned wolves and fennec foxes. Australia zoo did have red fox, but unfortunately I see them all too commonly in the wild; they're up there with cane toads and rabbits as the worst introduced species. I'd really love to see as many canine species as possible, particularly bush dogs, raccoon dogs, Ethiopian wolves, grey wolves and Tibetan sand foxes.