Join our zoo community

Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens?

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Richie Hell, 18 May 2011.

1. Richie Hell

Richie Hell Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is this lens any good?

I've got a Canon EOS 1000D, with the 18-55mm kit lens, and a 75-300mm zoom lens.

What I'm looking for is something I can use for taking photos in reptile exhibits, without having to rely on using my flash to combat the low light and my shaky hands.

I'm still learning how to use my camera, so I'm not looking for expensive high performance kit.

It's only £88 on Amazon, my budget won't stretch any further so it's either this lens or stick with what I've got.

Thanks

2. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

I've got some very expensive L Series Canon lenses, but that cheap, nasty, plastic 50mm is one of the sharpest. I'd definitely recommend it, and it certainly comes into its own in low light (just remember the trade off with the reduced DOF).

A 50mm prime will effectively be 80mm on a 1000D.

3. Richie Hell

Richie Hell Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks.

What's the minimum focusing distance like? I won't be too close to focus will I, especially if I'm up near the glass to cut out reflections?

4. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you can save up just a little more, the 50mm f/1.4 is supposed to be fantastic - basically L series sharpness in a consumer grade lens. For the price (I think around $300 US) it is very good. Will give you an extra stop of light over the f/1.8.

I have not used it myself, but I have a photographer friend who is very picky and uses only top of the line Canon gear (1D series cameras and L series lenses) and he uses this as his only non-L lens.

However, if it is mainly for reptile houses you may want to consider a macro lens (even though those are usually a bit slower at f/2.8). I was recently given (yes, for free) a Canon 100 f/2.8 macro and have used it in reptile houses and it is the ideal lens for this. But then again, I am using a tripod.