Join our zoo community

cape hunting dogs

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by animalsbeebee, 23 Jun 2012.

1. animalsbeebee

animalsbeebee Active Member

These are our cape hunting dogs we have just imported ,we have 3 ,one male and two females

[​IMG]

2. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

ah they're skinny! :O)
    Beautiful animals.

Can you say where abouts your colelction is and what the purpose is please since you are private, is it research?

BenFoxster likes this.
  3. animalsbeebee

Definately not skinny ,no purpose ,why does there have to be a purpose because i am private

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

There has to be a purpose, even if it's simply because you like keeping them. If there's no purpose, then why did you get them?

:p

Hix

BenFoxster likes this.
  5. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think it's amazing that a private collection has Hunting Dogs, they would certainly be on my collection plan.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I've just been having a look at some of the animals you keep, quite an amazing range! I especially like the red and white flying squirrels and the pottos (I love pottos!). How many species do you have altogether?

7. animalsbeebee

Thats a ridiculous statement,if i did not like keeping these animals why would i spend lots of money on them and building their enclosures,

Please keep your comments sensible or not at all.

I think most of what we keep is as stated,snow leopard,lynx,ocelot,serval,jaguarundi,giant red and white flying squirrel,palawan binturong,black and white ruffed lemur,potto,northern luzon cloud rat,asian palm civet,coati,emu.

8. mrcriss

mrcriss Well-Known Member

Beautiful dogs! Congrats.:D

Surely the "purpose" when keeping such rare animals is conservation? Are you going to enter some kind of breeding programme or studbook with these lovelies?

9. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Congratulations on an exciting collection. If more people were prepared to spend their money in this way, the world would be a better place. I only keep a few birds, but am always fascinated by what other people keep.

10. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I'm assuming these comments are directed at me.

You stated in post #3 that you had no purpose, I was suggesting you must have a purpose and gave an example. Which you confirmed with the quote above. Quite a sensible suggestion I thought. My question was rhetorical, to reinforce the idea.

:p

Hix

11. animalsbeebee

thanks for your comments :)

12. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Have you got any pictures of your enclosures?

13. animalsbeebee

just starting to build there enclosure

14. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

Hey I certainly wasn't trying to offend you and maybe a better choice of words was that they look small, are they young dogs?
    and as Hix said my thinking behind "do you have a purpose behind your collection" was aimed at being excited over the potential for someone else breeding these fabulous animals.
    I have nothing but admiration for anyone who wants to keep a private collection, I'd love to have a big cat breeding centre but I don't have the resource, the location or the expertise so kudos to you for doing what you do!

Also part of my reasoning is that I would love to visit and photograph/study your animals as I love seeing different collections and studying different species myself.

I wouldn't know where to being in looking for expertise in enclosure design but I reckon that this forum is a good place to start.

So - welcome to the forum and I hope to have many interesting conversations with you and learn about your collection, I can't wait to see more images and hopefully we didn't get off on the wrong foot to start with!.

BenFoxster likes this.
  15. animalsbeebee

Hi ,no problem ,they are 9 and 10 months old ,and we look for animals that we would like to keep but are rarer in private collections

16. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sounds like you have a cracking collection that most of us can only dream of. The best of luck to you :)

17. animalsbeebee

Thanks,we do like to share our enthusiasm with other like minded people,we are of the opinion some animals may do better in the more private surroundings,and they only see us on a daily basis.

Once we have a few more species and finished building, we may invite some people to do photography.

18. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sounds amazing :) - I only keep reptiles at the moment, hoping to go into some smaller rodents. If I ever get half the chance to own a decent sized site I would certainly consider keeping some of the rarer, small-medium sized mammals

19. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nice collection indeed. Are there any ideas or plans to also to get some small marsupials?

20. dogman

dogman Active Member

are the dogs not usually considered very difficult and aggressive to keep, also where did you get such an animal as these dogs