Join our zoo community

Cape May County Park & Zoo Cape May County Park & Zoo Review and Species List

Discussion in 'United States' started by red river hog, 22 May 2021.

1. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

With the recent reopening of the two indoor exhibits at the zoo, I can finally make this thread like I've been wanting to.

For anyone who doesn't know much about the Cape May County Zoo, it's a medium-sized, free zoo in southern New Jersey. In my opinion, it's very underrated on this site and has an impressive collection for a free zoo.

Please let me know if you have any questions!
    :)

The first exhibit upon entering the zoo is Primate Point. Primate Point is a trio of primate exhibits that surround a singular holding facility. There are viewing windows into the holding areas of the Siamangs (Symphalangus syndactylus) and Black Howlers (Alouatta caraya). There is an exhibit for De Brazza's Monkeys (Cercopithecus neglectus) on the back side of the building. The exhibits are decent; grassy, plenty of things to climb on, and some plants. It's also a big upgrade from these primates' previous homes, especially the howlers', who lived in a corn crib cage before Primate Point was built. The complaint I have here is that the holding areas have bare concrete floors. Of course this is typical and isn't necessarily a husbandry issue, but when visitors are able to view the holding areas, I believe it's nicer to have at least some natural substrate. This is because I prefer to see animals housed in natural settings, rather than bare concrete rooms. Even painting murals on the walls would improve it. But again, it's not an issue with animal care and is just aesthetics.

The Barnyard is the next area. It's just a typical barnyard with domestic stock in a row of yards. The first yard is for Pot-bellied Pigs (Sus scrofa domestica), second and third for Holstein Friesian Cattle, and the last three for various breeds of Goats (Capra aegagrus hircus). I have also seen the cow in with the goats.

Bengal Tiger and amur leopard like this.
  2. red river hog

Next up we have the World of Birds, a small bird house built in the 90s. The main attraction is the large walkthrough rainforest room. There are also a few outdoor exhibits adjacent to the building that I will also be including for this section. Along the front of the building, there's a row of corn crib cages. From left to right they have a Turquoise-fronted Amazon (Amazona aestiva), Sun Parakeet (Aratinga solstitialis), Salmon-crested Cockatoo (Cacatua moluccensis), Gray Parrot (Psittacus erithacus), and sometimes some Indian Peafowl (Pavo cristatus) or Helmeted Guineafowl (Numida meleagris) chicks or expecting females. The latter two species typically roam freely around the park and zoo. Along the left side of the building, there are four more corn crib cages with a Scarlet Macaw (Ara macao), Blue-and-yellow Macaw (Ara ararauna), and Hyacinth Macaws (Anodorhynchus hyacinthinus). These rows of corn crib cages are definitely a weakness for the zoo. The indoor holding exhibits for them don't get any better either. During cold months, all the parrots go into bird cages in the foyer of the World of Birds. Luckily, the zoo seems to be phasing out their corn cribs and hopefully these parrots can soon get better, more natural exhibits.
    Now to the main building. After you walk past the plethora of bird cages is the entrance to the main room. This room is very lush and green. It also features a tall cascading waterfall that falls into a meandering stream that eventually leads to a small pond at the opposite end of the room. The species list is:

African Sacred Ibis (Threskiornis aethiopicus)
    American Flamingo (Phoenicopterus ruber)*
    Blue-headed Wood-Dove (Turtur brehmeri)
    Cinnamon Teal (Spatula cyanoptera)
    Crested Partridge (Rollulus rouloul)
    Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina)
    Greater Flamingo (Phoenicopterus roseus)*
    Green Wood-Hoopoe (Phoeniculus purpureus)
    Masked Lapwing (Vanellus miles)
    Mindanao Bleeding-Heart (Gallicolumba crinigera)
    Nicobar Pigeon (Caloenas nicobarica)
    Northern Pintail (Anas acuta)
    Plumed Whistling-Duck (Dendrocygna eytoni)
    Red-footed Tortoise (Chelonoidis carbonarius)
    Roseate Spoonbill (Platalea ajaja)
    Ruddy Turnstone (Arenaria interpres)
    Scarlet Ibis (Eudocimus ruber)
    Spur-winged Lapwing (Vanellus spinosus)
    Superb Starling (Lamprotornis superbus)
    Taveta Weaver (Ploceus castaneiceps)
    White-rumped Shama (Copsychus malabaricus)

*Flamingos are in their outdoor exhibit in the colder months

Before you exit the building, there's another corn crib cage with American Crows (Corvus brachyrhynchos). There's also a display case with eggs of different bird species and a taxidermied toucan.
    Back outside, on the right side of the building is a large aviary for a Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) it was recently renovated and expanded. The renovations took away many of the plants and a small water feature, which downgraded the exhibit. I still think it's a decent exhibit and the largest I've seen for an eagle. Lastly, along the back of the building is a small yard with a pool. It has American Flamingoes (Phoenicopterus ruber), Greater Flamingoes (Phoenicopterus roseus), Black-necked Swan (Cygnus melancoryphus), Bar-headed Goose (Anser indicus), Domestic Ducks (Anas platyrhynchos domesticus), and Ruddy Shelduck (Tadorna ferruginea). A side yard next to the flamingo exhibit has Black Swans (Cygnus atratus). They used to live with the Capybaras in a much larger pool and I'm hoping that one is temporary since the only water is a kiddie pool.

3. red river hog

After the bird house comes a small boardwalk with wooded yards for hoofstock. Some of these yards are part of the North American Prairie area, but I will include all exhibits viewable from the boardwalk.
    On the right there's an exhibit for a Dromedary (Camelus dromedarius) and Bactrian Camel (Camelus bactrianus) followed by another large yard for Elk (Cervus canadensis), Llamas (Lama glama), and Alpacas (Vicugna pacos). On the left are two connected exhibits for White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus). One of these had Pronghorn many years ago. A big loss for the zoo. These yards suit the deer nicely because of the dense forest of trees. The final exhibit is the main prairie exhibit with a herd of American Bison (Bison bison). All of these exhibits are decently sized for the animals.

In the center of the zoo there are a few exhibits that don't fit into a certain area, so I'll discuss them here. The Lion (Panthera leo) exhibit is a nice sprawling grassy field with some trees. In the future they plan to add glass viewing which will be much better, as currently it's all chain-link. Across the path is the Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus) exhibit. Another large grassy field dotted with trees.
    Down the path is a Capybara (Hydrochoerus hydrochaeris) exhibit. It has a nice big pond for them to swim in. They share it with Red-eared Sliders (Trachemys scripta elegans), Domestic Ducks (Anas playrhynchos domesticus), Northern Red-bellied Cooter (Pseudemys rubiventris), and Yellow-bellied Slider (Trachemys scripta scripta).
    Around the corner is a sandy yard for Red-necked Wallabies (Macropus rufogriseus). This exhibit has no plants or grass and looks somewhat artificial to me. Across from the wallabies, an exhibit for Red Kangaroos and Emus is under construction.
    Next is the American Black Bear (Ursus americanus) exhibit which is the former Siberian Tiger exhibit. The bear's usual exhibit is across from the Capybaras' and is being renovated. it's similar to the Cheetah and Lion exhibits and has a small pool with a waterfall.

Last edited: 23 May 2021
    Bengal Tiger and amur leopard like this.
  4. red river hog

Perhaps the best exhibits in the whole zoo are in the Canopy Creatures area. It's a row of small monkey and bird exhibits. The callitrichid exhibits are all near-identical. They are large outdoor cages with dense vegetation. Each one also has windows into the holding space. The holding areas have natural substrate and a few potted plants. The bird aviaries are a little less dense with vegetation, but are also nice. In order the animals housed here are Golden Lion Tamarin (Leontopithecus rosalia), Common Marmoset (Callithrix jacchus); Bearded Emperor Tamarin (Saguinus imperator subgriscens); Northern Crested Caracara (Caracara cheriway); Laughing Kookaburra (Dacelo novaeguineae); Golden-headed Lion Tamarin (Leontopithecus chrysomelas); and Cotton-top Tamarin (Saguinus oedipus). In addition, there is an aviary under construction for Toco Toucans.

Next section will be out later tonight or tomorrow morning

Last edited: 23 May 2021
  5. red river hog

Next is the African Savanna, formerly called the Pathway to Diversity, due to its geographical mix of species. This large boardwalk starts out with a nature trail through 11-acres of woods. The zoo also has some captive deer that roam freely in this area (it's fenced in). They're probably surplus from the main exhibits. After the trail, the path splits. I usually go left. This will take you to a Red Panda (Ailurus fulgens) exhibit on the left and an Amur Leopard (Panthera pardus orientalis) exhibit on the right. The Red Panda exhibit is nice. There are more things to climb on in this exhibit than in most exhibits I see. There's also lots of places for them to hide. The Leopard exhibit is an okay size and has a climbing platform, large rock, and pool, however it lacks a single plant other than grass. I wish the Amur Leopard exhibit looked similar to their Snow Leopard exhibit, that I will get to later.
    As the turns to the left there is a wide open savanna before you. The first exhibit in view is about 3 acres and houses Giraffes (Giraffa sp.) and Common Ostriches (Struthio camelus). The path travels along the front of this exhibit, then you can go out onto a viewing pavilion where you can see Scimitar Oryxes (Oryx dammah) and Ankole-Watusis (Bos taurus). This exhibit is around 2 acres, including off-exhibit space. Back on the main loop there's another ~3 acre exhibit (including off-exhibit) for Grant's Zebras (Equus quagga boehmi). Sometimes there are Eastern Bongos out here, but they are normally off exhibit. All of these yards are big and grassy, with some pockets of vegetation here and there, and dotted with artificial termite mounds. Definitely among the best exhibits I've seen for their species. Past the zebras is a large exhibit for Ring-tailed Lemurs (Lemur catta). It's not my favorite lemur exhibit I've seen, but it's still nice. There's a plethora of climbing frames and toys, which is nice.
    The final two exhibits of this area are nicely sized aviaries for a Barred Owl (Strix varia) and Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus). In general I think this is a nice area, but geographically speaking, it could be better, espcially since there are other African species around the zoo that would work better for this area, like Lion, Cheetah, Cape Porcupine, and De Brazza's Monkey.

6. red river hog

The Cape May County Zoo has a surprisingly large reptile collection. Mostly housed in and around the Reptile & Amphibian House. The exhibits are pretty good, but lacking plants and as a turtle keeper myself, I can't help but point out the lack of water in the turtle exhibits. The main central turtle tank is nice and large, but all the other smaller turtle exhibits are too small.
    Species list for the house is:

Burmese Python (Python bivittatus)

Eastern Long-necked Turtle (Chelodina longicollis), Mata Mata (Chelus fimbriatus), Red-bellied Short-necked Turtle (Emydura subglobosa)

Northern Spiny Softshell Turtle (Apalone spinifera spinifera)

Spotted Turtle (Clemmys guttata)

Common Musk Turtle (Sternotherus odoratus), Eastern Mud Turtle (Kinosternon subrubrum)

Chinese Box Turtle (Coura flavomarginata)

Oriental Fire-bellied Toad (Bombina orientalis)

Iberian Ribbed Newt (Pleurodeles waltl)

Torresian Carpet Python (Morelia spilota variegata)

Coahuilan Box Turtle (Terrapene coahuila)

Red-tailed Boa (Boa constrictor constrictor), Northern Boa (Boa imperator)

Baja Blue Rock Lizard (Petrosaurus thalassimus)

Florida Softshell Turtle (Apalone ferox)

Painted Turtle (Chrysemys picta)

Russian Tortoise (Agrionemys horsfieldii)

African Helmeted Turtle (Pelomedusa subrufa)

Northern Map Turtle (Graptemys geographica)

Pancake Tortoise (Malacochersus tornieri)

Green Tree Python (Morelia viridis), Malayan Box Turtle (Cuora amboinensis kamaroma)

Boa Constrictor (Boa constrictor)

Red-footed Tortoise (Chelonoidis carbonarius), Leopard Tortoise (Stigmochelys pardalis), Rhinoceros Iguana (Cyclura cornuta), Yellow-footed Tortoise (Chelonoidis dentiticulata)

Prairie Rattlesnake (Crotalus viridis viridis)

American Alligator (Alligator mississippiensis)

Mottled Rock Rattlesnake (Crotalus lepidus lepidus)

Eastern Kingsnake (Lampropeltis getula getula)

Corn Snake (Pantherophis guttatus)

Standing's Day Gecko (Phelsuma standingi)

Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum)

Luristan Newt (Neurergus kaiseri)

Gray Tree Frog (Dryophytes versicolor)

Eastern Newt (Notophthalmus viridiscens)

Timber Rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus)

Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina), Northern Pine Snake (Pituophis melanoleucus melanoleucus)

Mexican Beaded Lizard (Heloderma horridum)

Blue Poison Dart Frog (Dendrobates tinctorius azureus), Dyeing Poison Dart Frog (Dendrobates tinctorius tinctorius), Yellow-banded Poison Dart Frog (Dendrobates leucomelas), Green-and-black Poison Dart Frog (Dendrobates auratus)

Green-and-black Poison Dart Frog (Dendrobates auratus)

Eyelash Viper (Bothriechis schlegelii)

Gila Monster (Heloderma suspectum)

Solomon Island Leaf Frog (Cornufer guentheri)

Red-eyed Tree Frog (Agalychnis callidryas)

Mission Golden-eyed Tree Frog (Trachycephalus resinifictrix)

Rhinoceros Iguana (Cyclura cornuta)

Species in the outdoor yards:

American Alligator (Alligator mississippiensis)

Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina)

African Spurred Tortoise (Centrochelys sulcata)

Aldabra Giant Tortoise (Aldabrachelys gigantea), Galapagos Tortoise sp. (Chelonoidis sp.)

7. red river hog

The final two are the Snow Leopards and Small Mammals.
    The Walter H. Trettin Snow Leopard Habitat is, IMO, the nicest big cat exhibit at the zoo. It houses their breeding pair of Snow Leopards (Panthera uncia). There's lots of rocks to simulate a mountainous area. There's also glass viewing and educational signage.

Right across the path is the Small Mammals trail. First are two connected exhibits for Bobcats (Lynx rufus). Followed by another for Cape Porcupines (Hystrix africaeaustralis) and one for Red Foxes (Vulpes vulpes). These exhibits are all basic wood and wire small animal cages. Pretty average. After that there's two yards for Patagonian Maras (Dolichotis patagonum). The next exhibit is the strangest otter exhibit I've ever seen. The barrier is a thick concrete wall, probably around 7 feet (2 meters) tall. There are two glass windows for viewing. To make it weirder, the substrate in the exhibit is seashells. :confused: It's not a terrible exhibit, but it's really weird. The last exhibit is much larger with a tall climbing platform. It's occupied by a Silver Fox (Vulpes vulpes).

Overall I think the Cape May County Zoo is a nice zoo with still a considerable amount to improve upon. Though it has its flaws, it's always improving and building something new. Currently under construction is a Toco Toucan exhibit, new outdoor Golden-headed Lion Tamarin exhibit, Red Kangaroo and Emu exhibit, and Safari Cafe.

8. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Did the elk get moved? It was signed for, and in with, the deer on my visit.

I'm assuming all paths are now open?

9. red river hog

Sorry I’m just seeing this . . . never got a notification. :confused:

I have seen an Elk with the deer and I think there’s one in there, as well as one with the Llamas and Alpacas.

And the path near the Cheetahs is still closed for some reason.

I will be visiting again on Sunday, so I’ll post in the news thread if anything changes. :)

TinoPup likes this.
  10. TinoPup

I saw the elk on my visit so thought something may have happened, since you didn't mention her. She was right under the bison viewing spot, you'd only spot her if you were looking back and she blended into the shadows pretty well, so maybe she likes that area.

:mad: cheetah path! Please do keep me updated on that path, I'm probably the only one that cares about it lol but I want to see their whole exhibit and get a nice view of them!

red river hog likes this.
  11. red river hog

I'll let you know! :) And if it helps, I can try to take a picture of the exhibit for you if it's open.

TinoPup likes this.
  12. TinoPup

thank you!

13. SusScrofa

SusScrofa Well-Known Member

I'm not going to add a new species list, but there are some updates for this zoo as of today:

1. World Of Birds is closed due to bird flu. Couldn't say which species are there currently.

2. The zoo now keeps Chilean Flamingo (Phoenicopterus chilensis). They are together with the American and Greater Flamingoes by the pool outside World Of Birds aviary. There are no longer Black-headed Swan or Bar-headed Goose anywhere open in the zoo and no signage for them either, so I assume they're gone, inside World Of Birds or maybe for some reason these two species are still being held off-exhibit due to bird flu.

3. I'm not sure Turquoise-fronted Amazon and Sun Parakeet are around anymore as the cages were empty. But there is no signage for any species in that row and maybe its possible they are moved to World Of Birds?

4. Reptile House now has the following new species:
    • Home's Hingeback Tortoise (Kinixys homeana)
    • Diamondback Terrapin (Malaclemys terrapin)
    • Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum) - Metamorphed
    • Unsigned red-black-yellow snake. I assume Scarlet Kingsnake (Lampropeltis elapsoides)?
    The Eyelash Viper, Tiger Salamander, Eastern Kingsnake, Rock Rattlesnake, Prairie Rattlesnake, Helmeted Turtle and Couhilan Box Turtle appear to be gone. There were also no American Alligators outdoors, and no signs for them except in the indoor enclosure.

5. I did not see any Golden-headed Lion Tamarin or any signage for them and based on the map, it appears that their enclosure is undergoing construction. It's possible they are being held off-exhibit for the time being.

6. Toco Toucan and Gray Titi show on the zoos map, but I did not see them or any signage for them. They could be added eventually?

7. There is now two Eurasian Eagle Owls (Bubo bubo) next to the Great Horned Owl exhibit.

8. There is now an Andean Condor (Vultur gryphus) on exhibit next to the Amur Leopard and Red Panda.

9. Red Kangaroo and Emu are now on exhibit next to the Red-necked Wallabies.

10. Patagonian Mara and Elk were not seen, have no signage and don't appear on the zoo map anymore. I assume they are completely gone.

14. red river hog

They were always unsigned, they're probably in World of Birds because of bird flu.
    Both of them are gone.
    The snake is a Sinaloan Milksnake
    Eyelash Viper and Tiger Salamander are definitely gone. All of the others were there two weeks ago. Many animals in the reptile house have been taken off exhibit for renovations, so could it have been that?

TinoPup likes this.