Join our zoo community

Cape May County Park & Zoo Cape May County Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 27 Feb 2012.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Has anyone visited this New Jersey attraction?

Cape May County - County Park & Zoo

It is a free zoo that attracts over 500,000 visitors each year, and there seems to be a fair-sized Bird House, over 500 animals and a fairly new Reptile House (with over 60 species) on the grounds. Also, 9-10 primate species and at least 6-7 cat species are also present, but I've heard that the exhibits are nothing spectacular. Does anyone want to type up a brief review?

Scroll down to see future plans for a 2,000 sq. ft. snow leopard exhibit:

snow leopard, cubs, breeding, program, habitat, cape may, county, zoo, society, donation

2. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

The zoo got back to me on facebook and said that the new snow leopard exhibit will open later this year.

Our Big Cats/Snow Leopard Project

Your gift will help us realize the goal of a new maternity den and habitat that will provide a safe, stimulating and natural environment for the breeding of these beautiful endangered cats. So far we’ve raise over $125,000 towards our first phase target of $250,000.

We are in the design stage for a proposed 2,000 sq.ft. snow leopard habitat. The habitat will include a water feature, elevated land forms, cooling elements and 500 sq ft masonry den and holding building. The enclosure will be stainless steel mesh and the visitor area will have a glass wall for nose-to-nose viewing.

4. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have you been to this zoo jusko88? You are becoming our East Coast correspondent for zoos that nobody else on Zoochat has taken pictures of or reviewed.

5. jusko88

No I haven't David but plan to once the new snow leopard exhibit opens.

6. jusko88

There's another zoo on here the lehigh valley zoo no one has taken pics of that zoo either and its on the way to cape may zoo so I might stop there to.

7. jusko88

Highlights of 2012 at the cape may county zoo are return of the otters, two snow leopard babies,two new capybara (which came from san diego zoo), a Debrazza baby monkey, twin ringtail lemur babies and a white, white-tailed deer.

I cant wait to visit this zoo soon and the brand new snow leopard exhibit.

8. jusko88

Me and my gf are at this zoo. If anyone wants to know anything, hit me up. It's beautiful and we haven't entered and we here lions and tiger roaring. A nice nature trail and a hummingbird avairy.

9. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hope you enjoy it. If you can get some pictures of it I'm sure that several people would be interested in seeing what this zoo looks like and reading your review of it.

10. jusko88

11. BeardsleyZooFan

12. jusko88

Def pandas. I know this might be a dumb question:D but what are the chances of them getting a breeding pair of Giant pandas? hey it just says pandas. not red or giant even thou the zoo has one older red panda. I know when i was there, they were going to give the lone male Amur Tiger a new exhibit. Give the Howler monkeys and Debrazza's Monkey new exhibits. Try and get two Cougars. And raise enought money to start building the New Snow Leopard Exhibit. I couldn't find anyone on zoo grounds to ask questions bout this nice zoo. The zoo told me on Facebook that the new exhibit should open later this year but they haven't even started on it:confused:. so who know's what's up with that. i can see the chinese alligators probably being exhibited right outside the reptile and amphibian building which was amazing.

13. BeardsleyZooFan

Uhhh...
    no.

14. jusko88

hahahahahaha :)

15. BeardsleyZooFan

16. jusko88

The zoos Snow Leopard Cubs 'Bali' & 'Chameli' have moved out to take part in the Species Survival Plan breeding program. 'Bali' has moved to Mill Mountain Zoo in Roanoke VA, and 'Chameli' has moved to TurtleBack Zoo in West Orange, NJ. The zoos success over the years breeding Snow Leopards makes the Cape May County Zoo bloodline one of the strongest in North America right now.

Also the zoo has a new resident at the Zoo! A female Silver Fox. She is a member of the education department and is being trained to become one of our animal ambassadors.

17. jusko88

On Saturday, April 20, 2013 our female Snow Leopard 'Himani' gave birth to 2 cubs. This is their 4th consecutive year with cubs, for a total of 7 cubs in 4 years, making them amongst the best and most prolific Snow Leopard pair in North America.

At this time the cubs appear strong and healthy. As usual 'Himani' is taking great care of them. Brand new at the Zoo this year is a Snow Leopard Cub Monitor. Zoo patrons will be able to observe the cubs and Mom while still in the nest box. Natural behaviors will be observed like nursing, grooming and playing, all never before seen by the public. The cubs will not be seen live and in person for at least 6-8 weeks, when they eventually come outside on their own... but their growth and development can be viewed on our new remote camera TV. The TV is located in our Savanna Garden concession area and is available for viewing during normal operating hours.

At this time we don't know the gender of the cubs as they are too young for us to check out.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...9069194783.174821.307090549783&type=1&theater

18. BeardsleyZooFan

19. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

20. BeardsleyZooFan

Kifaru Bwana likes this.