Join our zoo community

Captive Beluga Whales in the U.S. & Canada

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by loxodontaafrica, 23 Jun 2015.

1. TheAmurTiger

TheAmurTiger Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to Ceta Base, Atla and Pearl are pregnant. As far as I'm concerned, with the exception of Frankie's false pregnancy at Discovery Cove back in 2016, if Ceta Base says it it's most likely fact. Gemini and Kelowna also gave birth at Marineland Canada on July 4, both calves are female, neither has received a name yet.

2. TheAmurTiger

I actually went to Vancouver Aquarium finally back in June, there is no open exhibit for belugas, they'd have to build an entirely new one. Therefore, I find it unlikely that they'd ever house belugas again, unless Helen (the Pacific white-sided dolphin at the park) were to suddenly pass. The old beluga habitat now holds a pair of Steller's sea lions.

3. TheAmurTiger

Sorry to spam this but some news from Marineland Canada.

Two captive born males, Horus and Burnaby, have died, as well as a male calf born two years ago named Bubba.

In other news, Osiris, Aurora, and Skyla have given birth.

Eve's calf from last year was named Eos. It's safe to assume that the pregnancies of Jelly Bean and Isis failed.

4. TheAmurTiger

Mauyak is pregnant at Shedd Aquarium and due in summer of 2019. The sire is probably Aurek or Beethoven, both are proven breeders. According to Shedd, Aurek is the largest of the males. An 11-year-old male named Grayson also lives at Shedd Aquarium. With this announcement, my guess is it shouldn't be long before Naya and Bella are pregnant.

5. TheAmurTiger

Pearl is no longer pregnant according to Ceta Base. Whatever happened was never publicly announced by SeaWorld.

6. TheAmurTiger

According to Ceta Base, the calves of Aurora, Osiris, and Skyla are all male.
    Based on previous placement, the site of all calves aside from Osiris’s calf are aired by Andre or Kodiak. Potential sires of Osiris’s calf include Burnaby, Horus, Orion, and Tuk.

Jambo likes this.
  7. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nope, Osiris's calves sire is Andre or Kodiak as well.

TheAmurTiger likes this.
  8. TheAmurTiger

I was hoping for a report on Atla from Ceta Base about her calf, but they’ve become inactive. Atla is no longer pregnant, either. No living calf is at the park, whatever happened happened behind the scenes. Mauyak is currently the only pregnant whale in captivity in the US, the sire is Aurek or Beethoven. Marineland Canada did not announce pregnancies, but I’m sure there are several.

9. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Anyone concerned that the beluga population won't be able to sustain itself in the future?

JVM likes this.
  10. sab

sab New Member

Since life span of belugas is 35-50 and Ferdinand is almost 50 years old, does this mean that belugas (who are currently) in captivity aren't necessarily a bad thing? What do you guys think of relocating belugas to the sanctuary?

11. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't think Belugas in captivity is a bad thing. I don't know much about the Beluga sanctuary.

Kakapo likes this.
  12. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

The fact of thinking than belugas in captivity can be bad is kinda weird and sad.

13. TheAmurTiger

They haven't released very much on the beluga sanctuary, all we know is that it's in a secluded cove in Iceland. If I recall correctly, it was the northern area of the island. I'm really only familiar with Alaskan beluga populations, I have no clue about the wild populations in Iceland, but I assume there are several along the north coast of the island. The population is unlikely to be threatened, there's a lot less pollution and boat traffic up there than in the southeast of Alaska.

As far as I know, both belugas are at a young enough age where they should be able to acclimate moderately well. I do not know about the vaccinations the animals received in China, but because China is so new to housing belugas, I assume they're a little more sensitive to pathogens than captive animals in North America, L'Oceanografic, and established Japanese aquariums like Port of Nagoya. The ocean is generally a little less concentrated in terms of pathogens anyway, however.

I don't think the sea pen will have a negative effect on their health. I'm conflicted about the viability of release in this case, partially due to the lack of information on whales captured in the Okhotsk Sea, but I'm hoping they do not release the whales into Iceland if they ultimately decide to release them. Even with the beluga captures currently ongoing in Russia, I'd rather see the whales released to their true habitat instead of another random place that somewhat mimics it.

I have conflicted feelings towards beluga captivity, however, and will not answer that question for that reason. But just keep in mind, Ferdinand may be 50, but there have also been plenty of whales that died at the ages of 4 or 5. It's simply not been long enough to determine the current average age of captive belugas, they've only been kept in captivity outside of New York Aquarium since the early 80's or so.

14. TheAmurTiger

It's been a year since the last updated list, and a LOT has changed in the United States and Canada, so I'd say we're due for another updated list.

I put more effort into at least getting some basic information on the whales of Marineland Canada, so I'll be including them in the list this time around.

The last list was posted in June of 2017 (18 months ago). Updates for Marineland Canada will only go from that point on, it was not included in the last beluga list.

Georgia Aquarium
    Qinu, F (Nanuq x Sikku)
    Nunavik, M (Naluark x Puiji)
    Maple, F (MC? x Priscilla)
    2.2 (4)

Mystic Aquarium
    Kelalukak, F
    Juno, M (MC? x Denise)
    1.1 (2)

SeaWorld San Antonio
    Natasha, F
    Crissy, F
    Martha, F
    Luna, F (Luke x Martina)
    Imaq, M
    Oliver, M (Nanuq x Martina)
    Samson, M (Imaq x Luna)
    Kenai, M (Imaq x Luna)
    Innik, M (Imaq x Crissy)
    Tyonek, M
    6.4 (10)

SeaWorld San Diego
    Allua, F
    Atla, F (AI Nanuq x Luna)
    Pearl, F (Nanuq x Ruby)
    Ferdinand, M
    Klondike, M (MC? x Xena)
    2.3 (5)

SeaWorld Orlando
    Whisper, F (Luke x Crissy)
    Naluark, M
    1.1 (2)

Shedd Aquarium
    Mauyak, F
    Naya, F
    Kayavak, F (Inuk x Immiayuk)
    Bella, F (Naluark x Puiji)
    Kimalu, F (Naluark x Mauyak)
    Beethoven, M (Shadow x Bandit) (NOTE: Ike and Shadow have been confirmed to be the same whale by Ceta Base)
    Grayson, M (Nanuq x Martha)
    Aurek, M (MC? x Gemini)
    Mauyak's calf (not yet born), ? (Aurek or Beethoven x Mauyak)
    3.5.1 (9)

Marineland Canada
    Andre, M
    Charmin, F
    Gemini, F
    Xena, F
    Isis, F
    Caspian, F
    Cleopatra, F
    Jubilee, F
    Osiris, F
    Sierra, F
    Kelowna, F
    Kodiak, M
    Orion, M
    Peekachu, F
    Skyla, F
    Tofino, M
    Tuktoyaktuk, M
    Jelly Bean, F (Ben, Belyi, or Andre x Jubilee)
    Eve, F (Belyi or Andre x Xena)
    Acadia, F
    Aurora, F
    Lillooet, F
    Meeka, F
    Rain, F
    Secord, F
    Mira, F (Belyi, Andre, Kodiak, or Orion x Oceanna)
    Neva, F (Belyi, Andre, Kodiak, or Orion x Cleopatra)
    Qila, F (Andre, Kodiak, or Orion x Isis)
    Tank, M (Andre, Kodiak, or Orion x Acadia)
    Frankie, M (Andre, Kodiak, or Orion x Sierra)
    Xavier II, M (Andre, Kodiak, or Orion x Xena)
    Ruby, F (Tuktoyaktuk x Meeka)
    Penny-Wink, F (Andre, Kodiak, or Orion x Peekachu)
    Titan, M (Andre or Kodiak x Isis)
    Jetta, F (Andre or Kodiak x Skyla)
    Kharabali, F (??? x Aurora)
    Ivy, F (Tuktoyaktuk or Orion x Rose)
    Sahara, F (Andre or Kodiak x Acadia)
    Nahanni, F (Andre or Kodiak x Lillooet)
    Skara/Havana, F (Andre or Kodiak x Kelowna)
    Havok, M (Tuktoyaktuk or Orion x Secord)
    Artemis, F (Andre or Kodiak x Xena)
    Bull, M (Andre or Kodiak x Sierra)
    Cyprus, M (Andre or Kodiak x Cleopatra)
    Jasper, M (Andre or Kodiak x Meeka)
    Balor, F (Andre or Kodiak x Peekachu)
    Aslan, M (Andre or Kodiak x Caspian)
    Eos, F (Tuktoyaktuk x Eve)
    G7, F (Andre or Kodiak x Gemini)
    K4, F (Andre or Kodiak x Kelowna)
    S4, M (Andre or Kodiak x Skyla)
    A2, M (Andre or Kodiak x Aurora)
    O2, M (Andre or Kodiak x Osiris)

Recent deaths:
    SeaWorld Orlando, Whisper's calf, F (Naluark x Whisper)
    Marineland Canada, Gia, F (??? x Gemini)
    Georgia Aquarium, Qinu's stilllborn, F (Aurek x Qinu)
    Marineland Canada, Isis's calf, ? (??? x Isis)
    Marineland Canada, Jelly Bean's calf, ? (??? x Jelly Bean)
    Marineland Canada, Burnaby, M (??? x Gemini)
    Marineland Canada, Horus, M (??? x Isis)
    Marineland Canada, Bubba, M (??? x Jubilee)
    SeaWorld San Diego, Pearl's calf, ? (Klondike? x Pearl)
    SeaWorld San Diego, Atla's calf, ? (Klondike? x Atla)

Recent Births:
    Isis's calf, ? (Andre or Kodiak x Isis) - Marineland Canada
    Jelly Bean's calf, ? (Tuktoyaktuk, Orion, Horus, or Burnaby x Jelly Bean) - Marineland Canada
    Whisper's calf, F (Naluark x Whisper) - SeaWorld Orlando
    Innik, M (Imaq x Crissy) - SeaWorld San Antonio
    Eos, F (Tuktoyaktuk x Eve) - Marineland Canada
    Pearl's calf, ? (Klondike? x Pearl) - SeaWorld San Diego
    Atla's calf, ? (Klondike? x Atla) - SeaWorld San Diego
    Gemini's calf, F (Andre or Kodiak x Gemini) - Marineland Canada
    Kelowna's calf, F (Andre or Kodiak x Kelowna) - Marineland Canada
    Skyla's calf, M (Andre or Kodiak x Skyla) - Marineland Canada
    Aurora's calf, M (Andre or Kodiak x Aurora) - Marineland Canada
    Osiris's calf, M (Andre or Kodiak x Osiris) - Marineland Canada
    Mauyak's calf (due summer 2019), ? (Aurek or Beethoven x Mauyak) - Shedd Aquarium

Recent Transfers:
    Aurek was transferred from Georgia Aquarium to Shedd Aquarium on September 24, 2017. According to another post, it was likely due to the challenge of housing him with a neonate (Qinu's calf).

A male calf named Tyonek was rescued in Cook Inlet, Alaska by the Alaska SeaLife Center on September 30, 2017.

On March 8, 2018, Tyonek moved from Alaska SeaLife Center to SeaWorld San Antonio after being declared nonreleasable. The declaration was due to his young age and a lung collapse during rehabilitation.

*NOTE, THE MAJORITY OF CAPTIVE BELUGA BIRTHS TAKE PLACE IN THE MONTHS OF JUNE AND JULY*

TinoPup likes this.
  15. sab

sab New Member

Thank you. The sanctuary is focusing on bringing 2 belugas, Little White and Little Grey this spring. TheAmurTiger gave more info above regarding the sanctuary.

So what you are saying is that, in general and in your opinion, it is better for belugas to be in captivity over all than out in the wild?

Thank you so much for your response. I am conflicted towards beluga captivity as well and I am just trying to learn and get as much information as I can regarding these whales.

16. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You are correct in saying that Mauyak's calf is not yet born.

17. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

No, what I'm saying is not that is better than something else, but that is simply good, without a comparison option. The same applies to most animal species, with some exception like those than thrive badly or not at all in captivity. As for "better" or "worst" to be in captivity than in the wild, it would depend highly on the purpose of the comparation. For individuals, usually is much better. For species, only sometimes is better.

18. CetaBase

CetaBase Member 10+ year member

The latest MMIR reports an unsuccessful calf at SeaWorld San Diego on September 25, 2018 - cause of death is listed as "Abortion/ Premature/ Stillbirth" so I guess miscarriage would be the most appropriate result here?

I believe this is Atla's calf, but have not been able to confirm that 100%

19. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Recent transfers of belugas occurred. Beluga movement from Shedd, Mystic, SeaWorld Orlando, and SeaWorld Texas for sure. Does anyone know which whales went where?

20. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As this article reports, one of them went from SeaWorld San Antonio to the Mystic Aquarium:
    New beluga whale arrives at Mystic Aquarium