Join our zoo community

Captive breeding and canned hunting of lions in South Africa

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by KevinB, 30 Apr 2019.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The disgusting things segments of our own human species do never cease to sicken and sadden me.

Apparently in South Africa some disgusting "people" are essentially farming lions for them to be "hunted" by rich westerners and to be slaughtered for the bone trade to China as so-called "medicine" which of course, as usual with these traditional Chinese "remedies" does absolutely bupkis. All of this in happening in often pretty appalling conditions and with a fair share of illegal activities - however, the industry seems to be able to operate largely unchecked in South Africa for the time being.

Although these kinds of disgusting practices are sadly not really anything new, they were recently again brought to my attention after I read some articles and watched a video about an investigation by Lord Ashcroft, including undercover work, resulting in some very disturbing revelations about this disgusting industry in the short documentary embedded below. It does not make for easy or pleasurable viewing, that's for sure, and there's some pretty shocking images, so viewer discretion is certainly advised.

Thousands of lions bred in farms to be shot by hunters and killed for 'medicine' | Metro News
    Lord Ashcroft’s exclusive revelations about “horrific” captive-bred lion farming - Lord Ashcroft Polls

While I do not oppose responsible and legal hunting for food or conservative/wildlife management purposes, and believe that while I do not like it, even responsible trophy hunting should at least be considered to be allowed, I find these kinds of practices a complete disgrace.

This has nothing to do with true or acceptable hunting - these canned "hunts" are a pathetic and sickening travesty of true hunting for some deplorable wealthy idiots with no respect for nature or animals. Also it is a disgrace to a country like South Africa to allow something like this to happen unchecked within its borders.

Something should really be done to stop these practices and to punish those behind it.

2. CJB

CJB New Member

Simba's sanctuary: Bred to be shot by trophy hunters, this magnificent lion was doomed until LORD ASHCROFT masterminded a dramatic rescue. Now, he has found a permanent home

LORD ASHCROFT masterminded a dramatic rescue for Simba the lion | Daily Mail Online

The whereabouts of his new home must remain secret because, even now, those participating in the despicable lion farming industry could try to harm or kill him.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I think it is also really important to mention and highlight the role that "volunteer programes" play in the canned hunting industry.

There are evidently a lot of useful idiots who want to bottlefeed and cuddle lions, and who by neglecting to do their background research thorough enough, end up unwittingly supporting this industry by paying to "volunteer" in "conserving" lions destined for canned hunting.

The truth about volunteering with lions - Africa Geographic

amur leopard likes this.
  4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member