Join our zoo community

Captive Breeding for Vaquitas?

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Loxodonta Cobra, 17 Dec 2016.

1. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Everything that is being done for the problem is in Gulf of California. But it would be necessary also to work in China. Investigate and find the buyers of totoaba swim bladders (not sure if it's possible that they can be arrested for buying pieces of a critically endangered fish), and doing a lot of concienciation about how false are the propierties of the soup made with them (in fact, totoaba is not the original fish from which the soup is made).

TheMightyOrca and carlos55 like this.
  2. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

TheMightyOrca and Kakapo like this.
  3. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Maybe relocate the existing vaquita to areas with less gill nets and more totoaba?

4. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The issue with the ocean is the inability to fence in threatened populations, stopping them from re-entering unsafe areas (or drifting gear entering the 'safe' ones). Plus I imagine the extent of such areas within the gulf of California is limited.

TheMightyOrca likes this.
  5. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, the vaquita natural range is really tiny as it is. Begs the question as to why their range is so tiny, really.

6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Even if every gill-net disappeared tomorrow, I doubt it would make any difference to the vaquita's fate. When numbers get this low, the proximate cause of extinction often isn't the main driver of its decline (the small vs. declining population paradigms).

8. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

9. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

11. carlos55

birdsandbats likes this.
  12. carlos55

An important element here is gene tic diversity mentioned by Dr. Rojas. The tissue samples taken from the 2 vaquitas that were captured have shown an adequate genetic diversity which proves that the vaquitas are not too inbred and may be Able to recover. This research was made by the San Diego zoo scientists by the way,so zoos are still helping the vaquitas.

13. Merintia

Merintia Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That´s a good new, I was expecting a no-return point due inbreed. But makes me really sad an angry that this sentence
    have been regulary said during the last, at least, ten years, and Vaquita population continue decreasing with apparently no real plans to save them...

14. TheMightyOrca

I've always been really salty about the vaquita situation because their population has been falling for years now, and it seems like there was no real attempt to do anything until things got super desperate. I read Witness to Extinction and the parallels between the baiji and the vaquita are disturbing.

That said, though I'm not very optimistic, I agree that we shouldn't give up. Species have rebounded from similar numbers before.

15. TheMightyOrca

That's really cool. Wish more members of the public knew how many ways zoos help wild animals. (it's not just captive breeding!)

I've suspected that low genetic diversity might not be a big problem for vaquitas, I'm glad to hear that there's proof of it. The vaquita population has never been known to be big, their genetics have likely adjusted to work in a small population, as we see with many island species.

16. carlos55

Clonación sería última esperanza para la vaquita marina
    Dr. Lorenzo Rojas Bracho of the vaquita project mentions the progress in decoding vaquita DNA and genome by the San Diego Zoo scientists, at least this has advanced quite well. There are still no sample tissues from a male vaquita, so despite the title of the news article cloning does not seem likely. There have no reports of vaquitas seen this year, though there habitat is still under protection.

17. carlos55

18. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

So is that it, is the species doomed?

19. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Essentially, yes. There's too much fear any further efforts could compromise the species worse based on what happened with the most recent attempt.

We're just going to have to "look forward" to the general audience finding out the species is extinct and mourning that more was not done.

TheMightyOrca likes this.
  20. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

At least now people can start working with the next endangered porpoise and start establishing a population in captivity before it’s too late. It’s a shame that the Yangtze River dolphin and the vaquita have to become extinct before people realize it though...