Join our zoo community

Captive breeding of Golden Eagles

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Carl Jones, 21 Dec 2017.

1. Carl Jones

Carl Jones Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know who was the first to breed this species? The first UK breeding was, I believe, by Graham Dangerfield. Does anyone know of published records of the breeding of this species elsewhere?

2. zoo_enthusiast

zoo_enthusiast Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I believe the first world breeding was in Topeka Zoo, Kansas

3. zoo_enthusiast

zoo_enthusiast Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The first successful breeding in Topeka was in 1971

Batto likes this.
  4. Carl Jones

Many thanks for this first American record. What about breeding in European collections?

5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The first record listed in the International Zoo Yearbook is a chick bred at Pescasseroli, Italy in 1968 (Volume 10 page 289)

The American golden eagle breedings at Topeka are documented in volume 12 pages 136-138 [plates 40 and 41], volume 13 pages 114-115 and volume 21 pages 109-115. Breeding behaviour at Topeka is reported in volume 10 pages 26-29

6. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Primera águila real por inseminación artificial en México
    Here is a nice article on the sucessfull articifal insemination and reproduction of the golden eagle in Mexico. The eagles were from the Irapuato Zoo. This is very important because most of the eagles in mexican zoos are confiscated birds that have been imprinted by humans. Now the confiscated eagles can be bred. The article is spanish but you can use google translate.

LiSom and vogelcommando like this.
  7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Diverging from Golden Eagle a little, but I believe the first(?) successful captive breeding of the Bald Eagle, in the USA, took place not in some palatial flight but in a tiny homemade aviary on someone's front porch, and involving two crippled birds.

8. Carl Jones

Thank you for these useful comments. The interesting thing about Golden Eagles is they were considered very difficult to breed in captivity and few have been bred in zoos. However private breeders are very successful with them and they are readily bred for falconers. Unfortunately little of this is published. Eagles of many species are now being bred by private breeders. I would like to track down the literature on these developments.

9. Adustus

Adustus Member

Great Question Carl - thanks.
    I'm interested in the history of Goldie, the male golden eagle which escaped from London zoo (twice) in 1965. I'm old enough (just) to remember it happening, and remember the excitement it generated at the time.
    Does anyone know where Goldie came from? Was he wild-caught or bred in captivity? I'm guessing the former but I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me. Goldie was alive many years later, so maybe one of her later keepers knows.

10. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Goldie was male

11. Adustus

Adustus Member

I know - that's why I wrote "Goldie, the male golden eagle" and "Was he wild caught". I wrote a typo in the final sentence though, mistakenly referring to him as "her", so well done! But if you can answer my question I'd be even more impressed.