Join our zoo community

Captive Breeding of Steller's Sea Eagle

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by binji, 19 Nov 2021.

1. binji

binji New Member

Hello! I'm currently working on an exhibit design project for an ornithology class, and can find almost no sources about captive breeding of the Steller's Sea Eagle. I know these birds are bred in Cincinnati and San Diego, but I'm unsure of the incubation practices used. I assume the eggs are left in the nest and hatched by the parents, but is double clutching recommended or used with these birds specifically?
    I also can't find a recommended enclosure size for these birds. My thought was at least 1,000sq.ft. of floor space and a maximum height of around 100 feet for an outdoor aviary with a flighted breeding pair, but spatial imaginings are not my strong suit.
    Also, do these exhibits tend to have off-exhibit housing for high temperatures or other events which may require the birds to be pulled inside? Not just a shifting space, but somewhere a bird could reasonably stay for a season if outdoor temperatures got too high.
    If anyone has pictures of these aviaries I would very much appreciate seeing them for inspiration!
    Thank you!

2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't know much on the breeding practices, but here's a snippet from the AvianSAG Steller's Sea-Eagle sheet. (I'd link the sheet but apparently the AvianSAG site went defunct a couple months ago.)
    Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 6.46.37 PM.png

If you search the site media for "Steller's Sea Eagle" you should turn up quite a few exhibit photos alongside photos of the eagles themselves.

3. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Here is an AZA Animal Care Manual for Andean Condors. https://assets.speakcdn.com/assets/2332/andeancondorcaremanual20101.pdf While not Stellers Sea Eagle many of the technical exhibit parts are similar. Also, San Diego keeps both animals in very similar exhibits next to eachother and has had success with both. Animal exhibit requirements are in Chapter 2.