Join our zoo community

Captive status of the Anami rabbit

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 2 Nov 2020.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

The Anami rabbit is an intriguing evolutionarily distinct and also very endangered endemic Japanese mammal.

I was wondering whether these are currently held in captivity either within Japanese zoos or in ex-situ captive breeding facilities.

Does anyone know about the status of this species in captivity in Japan ?

2. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member

Hirakawa Zoo in Kagoshima have them and seems to do quite well. They have been rescued and released to the wild. It seems like they are now holding them in a off-public facility.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thank you for that @aardvark250 !

I'll have to check this out, brilliant to hear both that they are held ex-situ and that they seem to be doing well (I assume they are breeding too ?).

4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Unfortunately I didn't find any photos or anything on the rabbit at Hirakawa zoo.

However, I did find this paper / PDF from the mid 2000's that mentions the husbandry of the species when kept at Hirakawa.

Strangely it also seems from the paper that the species was once kept in enclosures in an elementary school too as school "mascots" or "pets" o_O (they must have been incredible school pets indeed)

https://watermark.silverchair.com/7...CYV2SUOCmDaOwmwtySJEeP_SIQQAFFiW8utZ93Ib0MnMQ

5. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thank you for that link @aardvark250 ! Much appreciated !

I used a translator app on the page and it appears they have three rabbits under their care currently and had several injured wild ones in the past.

Interesting blog post because it really highlights that the daily care that they are giving to these animals seems to be exemplary and of the finest kind.

7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Some incredible footage of Amami rabbits in the wild filmed by Futoshi Hamada a resident of Amami island and conservationist dedicated to the species.