Join our zoo community

Captive status of the Anami rabbit

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 2 Nov 2020.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

The Anami rabbit is an intriguing evolutionarily distinct and also very endangered endemic Japanese mammal.

I was wondering whether these are currently held in captivity either within Japanese zoos or in ex-situ captive breeding facilities.

Does anyone know about the status of this species in captivity in Japan ?

2. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hirakawa Zoo in Kagoshima have them and seems to do quite well. They have been rescued and released to the wild. It seems like they are now holding them in a off-public facility.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thank you for that @aardvark250 !

I'll have to check this out, brilliant to hear both that they are held ex-situ and that they seem to be doing well (I assume they are breeding too ?).

4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Unfortunately I didn't find any photos or anything on the rabbit at Hirakawa zoo.

However, I did find this paper / PDF from the mid 2000's that mentions the husbandry of the species when kept at Hirakawa.

Strangely it also seems from the paper that the species was once kept in enclosures in an elementary school too as school "mascots" or "pets" o_O (they must have been incredible school pets indeed)

https://watermark.silverchair.com/7...CYV2SUOCmDaOwmwtySJEeP_SIQQAFFiW8utZ93Ib0MnMQ

5. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thank you for that link @aardvark250 ! Much appreciated !

I used a translator app on the page and it appears they have three rabbits under their care currently and had several injured wild ones in the past.

Interesting blog post because it really highlights that the daily care that they are giving to these animals seems to be exemplary and of the finest kind.

7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Some incredible footage of Amami rabbits in the wild filmed by Futoshi Hamada a resident of Amami island and conservationist dedicated to the species.

8. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Historically, I wonder if Ueno Zoo or Tama Zoo in Tokyo ever kept Amami rabbits (Pentalagus furnessi)? I ask because there is a taxidermied specimen on display at the National Museum of Nature & Science in Tokyo. In fact the Wikipedia page for that species shows a photograph of that exact specimen.

By the way, this was fascinating information learning about the ones at Hirakawa Zoo Kagoshima. Thank you @aardvark250

9. UngulateNerd92

Ok, so seeing what I am seeing about Hirakawa Zoo Kagoshima rehabilitating them for release back to the wild, have they ever attempted to facilitate a captive breeding program for this endangered species? Personally, I think it would be neat to see the Hirakawa Zoo facilitate such a program, similar to the Volcano rabbit (Romerolagus diazi) breeding program and facilities at Chapultepec Zoo in Mexico City.

10. UngulateNerd92

You know what, I just found some further information on Hirawaka Zoo Kagoshima breeding them.

"Another attempt to breed Amami rabbits in captivity produced 11 offspring over the course of 5 years at Kagoshima Hirakawa Zoo, in Japan. Birth of neonates occurred in spring and fall, so it is suggested that Amami rabbits breed throughout the year, or in at least two seasons. (Yamada and Cervantes, 2005)"

ADW: Pentalagus furnessi: INFORMATION

11. Veno

Veno Well-Known Member

We share that just recently, the amami rabbits at Hirakawa Zoological Park were open to the public for one day only.
    けが治療で引き取った特別天然記念物「アマミノクロウサギ」特別公開 : 読売新聞オンライン (yomiuri.co.jp)
    Since this year's Chinese zodiac sign is the rabbit, I expect there will be many chances for the Amami Rabbit to be shown to the public!

And the Amami Rabbit Research and Breeding Facility, scheduled to open in 2025, will have Amami Rabbits on permanent display!

アマミノクロウサギ、研究飼育施設整備前にシンポジウム 生態・保護の課題、多角的に考察=大和村 | あまみじかん (amami-time.com)

Last edited: 12 Jan 2023