Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Capybaras coming to Auckland Zoo

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by ZooGirl101, 16 Feb 2015.

1. ZooGirl101

ZooGirl101 Well-Known Member

I heard from a zoo employee yesterday that Capybaras are coming to Auckland Zoo. At this point they are unaware of a date. I am not too sure where they are coming from although there are rumours they might be coming from Adelaide Zoo (some of their babies I'm guessing).

They will live in the current squirrel monkey enclosure in the rainforest together with the squirrel monkeys. Behind the scenes, a new den area is being constructed for them (I have a photo of it but don't know if I should post it).

To me, this is very exciting news! I have always loved Capybaras.
    Unfortunately I won't get to see them since I'm moving to Europe next month but it is exciting.

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the news Rose, that will be a great addition to the zoo. I imagine it would be Adelaide, they are the only other zoo to have htem in Australasia and I doubt (sadly) that Auckland would import them from anywhere else (not sure they could).

You should be able to see capybara very easily in Europe, they are very commonly kept.

3. ZooGirl101

ZooGirl101 Well-Known Member

Yes I will be seeing them in Europe (hopefully work with them) so that's exciting. Yeah they must be coming from Adelaide, it makes sense since they have been having so many babies lately they just have too many.

4. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I thought that it was illegal to import rodents (other than Chinchillas from the UK and laboratory rats) to New Zealand?

5. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

It is illegal to import rodents, except those on the approved list, which is why other species such as porcupines, agouti and chinchillas are in the country. I think Capybara are relatively recently approved (i.e. an Import Health Standard has been developed and approved). They have previously been imported too.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

zoos may import South and North African Crested Porcupines, Mara, Capybara, and Brazilian Agoutis from Australia, the USA and the EU.