Join our zoo community

Caracals back in Australia!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 13 Nov 2017.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Wild Animal Encounters in NSW have imported two Caracals from South Africa (as noted by @Jarkari on the Zoo Mammals thread). The last Caracal in the country died at Melbourne Zoo in 2013.

They’re caracal-ing for our help
    [​IMG]
    THEY might look like merely a slightly exotic house cat — but Kato and Kaia are Australia’s only caracals, a rare African predator, and have been brought here to help save the species.

They have been specially imported from South Africa by Ben Britton, Director of Wild Animal Encounters Foundation, to help protect the species.

These two are just five months old but, fully grown, they will weigh in at 18kg.

Kaito and Kaia have been brought to the foundation to establish the first breeding program in Australia.

There's a short video on the link as well.

I thought the line from the article above, "to establish the first breeding program in Australia", was journalistic licence - but on the video Ben Britton actually says that Caracals have never been bred in Australia before, which is absolute nonsense.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2017
    animal_expert01, Jarkari and CGSwans like this.
  2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

So it seems that the two imported caracal are sisters from the same litter, as the article @Chlidonias linked says they are both 5 months old.

So that;'s good, but if they are here for a breeding program then clearly more are required - I wonder if any other zoos are looking at importing the species. They would fit well in both urban and open range zoos.

3. Chlidonias

Does it say their sex somewhere? I couldn't see it so assumed they were male and female (given that they were said to be for breeding). Although I likewise assumed they would be siblings as they were the same age.

4. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Kato is generally a male name so I think your assumption may have been right.

5. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Oh yup, that would make sense. I misread the names, I thought they were Kaia and Kahlia, but the latter is one of the keepers... :eek:

FunkyGibbon and Jarkari like this.
  6. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I

7. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe they are also a species of interest for Darling Downs zoo

8. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anybody know much about Wild Animal Encounters beyond the website. Are they ZAA? What the collection is like? - they seem to have servals, cheetahs and now caracals along with unspecified primates and reptiles.

9. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

They are Associate Members of the ZAA and are accredited.

10. Chlidonias

They are in the ZAA.

You can check the zoo lists for what they hold - that's why the lists are there.

Exotic Mammals in Australian Zoos

Exotic Amphibians and Reptiles in Australian Zoos

11. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Maybe when Kato reaches maturity, one of the sisters at Wellington Zoo could be sent to breed with him. If the newly imported pair are full siblings, it would seem obvious they wouldn't be breeding with each other. Then another zoo in the region e.g. Darling Downs could take the initiative to import a male to pair with either Kaia or the remaining sister at Wellington Zoo (with eventual offspring to be returned to Wellington if they don't have the space to hold a breeding pair).

Zorro likes this.
  12. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great news for Aussies - they are beautiful cats.

13. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ah yes but that would require the lazy me to scroll through them! And any way you need to update it as WAE are not marked down as holders of cheetah. Note - I haven't checked all the other spp that I could see on the website that they have.

Chlidonias likes this.
  14. Chlidonias

Ah, I think their Cheetah must be a newish arrival then, so I had forgotten to add it (despite it being mentioned in this thread!). It's on the list now.

15. Chlidonias

I found an article which specifies that the Caracals are male and female, and are unrelated.
    Jetpets assists in the relocation of Australia’s first breeding pair of Caracal cats

Recently Jetpets had the pleasure of assisting in the relocation of two caracals from South Africa to their new home at the Wild Animal Encounter Conservation Centre in Hawkesbury, north of Sydney. The caracals, Kato and Kaia are the only two Caracals currently on display in Australia and it’s hoped the unrelated pair will breed once they reach maturity in the next 12-18 months.

zooboy28 likes this.
  16. Chlidonias

The Cheetah haven't arrived yet, although their enclosure is complete. They are being imported from South Africa. Their Facebook page says "Over the coming months we will be establishing the first ever breeding program for this species in Sydney, with the planned arrival of our Cheetah from South Africa." That sentence reminds of the following comment I made at the start of this thread.

17. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Caracal Importation!

An additional five Caracals have been imported into Australia!! They stem from different pure bloodlines from South Africa and safely arrived into quarantine from Hamerton Zoo (UK).

“We have just had news that our first major animal move for over a year has been completed, and all is well. Five Caracals made the journey from Hamerton to Australia over Friday/Saturday, and are now settling into their new temporary quarantine accommodation. Two pairs of South African Caracal were imported to Hamerton a couple of years ago, specifically for onward shipment to Australia. This species of cat was never part of the collection plan at our Park, but even so they settled in here very well and reared a male kitten. The five animals originate from several pure and unrelated blood-lines, and will provide a founding population for the breeding programme.

We are all very grateful to everyone in our team who helped make this move come together, despite last minute bureaucratic 'issues'. Special thanks go to the staff of Emirates Airlines at London Heathrow, who were wonderful. Work will now commence of the conversion of our former tiger 'barn', which will eventually become a walk-through aviary; but in the shorter-term will house a pair of Hamerton-born Binturongs, which have not been able to move to their new zoo because of logistical problems and delays caused by Covid/Brexit.”