Join our zoo community

Carnivores in mixed exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Jurek7, 10 Oct 2017.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

But "tons" of zoos don't combine Cheetah with hooved stock or rhinos. You just copied the list from en/Mixed exhibit Felidae Hyaenidae and there are only twelve zoos listed (even including the one with Cheetahs and tortoises). Twelve is not "tons" or "loads" - it is twelve.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Including both the Black Rhinoceros and White Rhinoceros lists you cite, you listed a total of eight collections :p not all of which still have the combinations in question.

I would hardly call that "common" nor "tons of zoos"..... and if as few as 8 collections is enough to qualify for these terms, then this presumably means pangolins are commonplace and in tons of zoos!

evilmonkey239 and ThylacineAlive like this.
  3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Another rather silly mix IMHO.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  4. Chlidonias

From the link I gave above (en/Mixed exhibit Felidae Hyaenidae):

An interesting species combiation has been created in Zoo Leipzig when its „Kiwara-Kopje” exhibit was opened in 2015. The institution tried to keep Black Rhinoceroses together with Cheetahs and Patas Monkeys which was no problem as long as the rhinos have been only together with one of the species.The problem was bring together the cats and monkeys. The zoo knew from the beginning that this could be a problem, so every species had got its own room: rhino-free area for the Cheetahs and some cheetah-free area for the Patas Monkeys. Three major things were observed during the introduction period: the Cheetahs worked together, one hunted and the other one waited and crossed the escape way of the monkey; Patas monkey instinctively love running more than climbing so they never got to save areas; and eventually the leader of the group of Patas Monkeys tried to refract the Cheetahs from the rest of the monkeys. All these points together made it impossible to combine these two species. Fortunately the Cheetahs has never caught one of the monkeys

5. @animalmapping

@animalmapping Well-Known Member

I said it cause it was more than expected since I expected nun. Would you guys please stop making such a drama out of it, I think biologists know it better than some random persons on a site (no offense) but I juts get annoyed of the negativity here

6. Chlidonias

You know that people who design zoo exhibits are not (or not necessarily) "biologists" right? Mixing carnivores or mixing carnivores and herbivores in zoos is inherently a bad idea. It can work in some situations with some species (or some individuals), but it is basically inviting an animal to be killed. Same as with other well-known mixes such as Gorillas and monkeys - it can work, but it can also result in the deaths of monkeys. Why do you think this is a good thing? Even with your idea that mixing Cheetahs with Zebras is a good thing, the very article you are taking information from says "During the proper management of this combination [at Yokohama] the institution need to be careful that Cheetahs have the possibility to keep good distance from the ungulates as Elands and Zebras often chase them away. Therefore the cats have some escape zones that are walled in by dead trees". If measures need to be taken to ensure that one or other of the species is not killed or injured then how can you argue that this is a good thing?

7. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

One of the random persons on the site you are referring to is the owner of a zoo that has been keeping and breeding cheetahs for many many years, so I wager they know what they’re talking about.

Anyways, enough negativity out of me.

SpinyLiving, FBBird, ZooBinh and 2 others like this.
  8. @animalmapping

It’s cause the measures. The animals won’t get killed cause of the measures giving the animals a natural prey hunter relation keeping the animals sharp like they are supposed to in the wild. But they don’t have to fear for their lives cause of the save spaces. Cheetahs in lone exhibits often get over stressed cause of boredom. No serious conflicts happened and it’s a fine way of experiencing natural behavior for the animals

9. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In what way are there safe spaces for a Zebra when they're in the same enclosure as a Cheetah? And if a zoo needs to take measures to ensure that one species doesn't "fear for its life" in a mixed species exhibit, then maybe that mix shouldn't happen in the first place. And there are many good ways to provide enrichment for zoo Cheetahs, this isn't one of them. I love mixed species exhibits in zoos but I'm extremely skeptical when predator and prey are in the same exhibit.

SpinyLiving, evilmonkey239 and FBBird like this.
  10. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No...they don't keep rhinos and cheetahs together...

11. Chlidonias

It was a mix they had a long time ago, starting in June 1986. They stopped keeping White Rhinos around 1996 and switched to Black Rhinos (not mixed with Cheetahs). I don't know how long the White Rhino-Cheetah mix lasted for during that decade though.

evilmonkey239 and ZooBinh like this.
  12. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oh, well that's cool! Though I didn't know that, I was under the assumption that he meant that theu currently keep them together.

SpinyLiving and evilmonkey239 like this.
  13. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Who is that out of interest, @ShonenJake13 ?

14. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's up to that person whether they 'come out', however they definitely know what they're doing with Cheetahs -- and everything else.
    As a random person in this site, I'll nail my own colours to the mast:
    Never worked with cats, but followed zoos and their development over many years, and have some understanding of animal behaviour.
    I have worked with birds for many years, and have some experience of managing mixed exhibits.

15. amur leopard

Pretty much the same for me :)

evilmonkey239 and FBBird like this.
  16. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Just to inject a little normal discussion into the discussion:

When I was at Zoorasia in January I was quite taken aback by the cheetah/hoofstock mix. I had read about it before but it had slipped my mind. The two things I noticed were that (a) the animals did seem calm (to the untrained eye of course), but (b) there was a keeper sat at the wheel of a jeep in the exhibit. I can't ever recall seeing that in a savannah exhibit at a zoo before and my assumption was that he was there to physically intercede if there was any interspecies trouble - whether this is a necessary precaution or simply the zoo being cautious (if indeed it has anything to do with the mix) I couldn't say.

17. amur leopard

Really? Wow! But surely if something were to happen, he would cause more trouble than help by running in there and trying to stop, for example, a zebra trampling on a cheetah?

18. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

A Google search shows a vehicle in many of the pictures, with close ups of aggression between both spp in many others, where the vehicle could easily been out of shot. If a human/vehicular presence is needed, then the concept is 'flawed' to say the very least. It would fail any welfare, ethical or licensing requirements in the UK.

TZDugong and TeaLovingDave like this.
  19. @animalmapping

No, it isn’t someone said that the cheetah are stressed out and will get killed but no Incidents happened and there is no prove for the claim they get stressed out. I actually told why the combination causes the opposite

20. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I didn’t see you offer any proof towards your statement that Cheetahs get enrichment from mixed exhibits with hoofstock, simply stating something does not make it true. There are a lot of ways to add enrichment in Cheetah exhibits, putting them or other species into potential danger isn’t one of them.

You clearly haven’t read through what has been said in this thread when you say no proof has been offered, as FunkyGibbon noted that when he viewed this mix he noted that a zookeeper was on hand to watch for aggression, not to mention there are many photos showing signs of aggression in this mix. Even you yourself noted that Cheetahs need “safe spaces” from Rhinos, which shows that even zoo exhibit designers aren’t confident in this mix.

So far, in this discussion you’ve denied obvious instances where this mix is detrimental, while offering no benefits for this mix beyond saying “it adds enrichment”, which is minimal at best.

SpinyLiving and ZooBinh like this.