Join our zoo community

Carolina parakeet extinction discovery

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 13 Dec 2019.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

An interesting article that gives an overview of the results of a recent study on the causes of extinction of the Carolina parakeet.

SPOILER ALERT: Humans are believed to be the sole causal factor that led to extinction.

Humans 'sole culprits' in US parrot extinction

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I saw this on another website. More of these kinds of studies have been coming out (like that one recently on the Great Auk). It seems kind of obvious to me, I doubt there are many (if any) extinctions in the past few hundred years that haven't been caused by humans.

EDIT: When I saw the title of the thread I thought it said "rediscovery" and my hopes were up for a second. Now I'm a bit disappointed.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Yes , I agree , it is kind of obvious that these were caused by humans , however, there has always been some doubts surrounding these extinctions and whether there were any further environmental stressors or characteristics / traits of these species which may have contributed.

In that sense I guess it is still somewhat interesting to find out results like those from the research even if this ultimately just confirms what we already intuitively know to be the case.

True, haha , I did try to change the title of the thread after posting it to avoid that association but unfortunately wasn't able to edit it.

Last edited: 13 Dec 2019
    Kifaru Bwana and ThylacineAlive like this.