Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo cassowary at taronga

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Coquinguy, 7 Jun 2007.

1. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Glyn, i wasn't attacking the zoo. i think the new avaries are great. I was just agreeing with Ara about the birds taking a back seat at the moment.
    You pointed out whats new, i pointed out whats gone. i understand some were torn down before they fell down, but they are still gone.
    I agree that the bird show is good, but apart from the condors there are no other raptors on permanent display if you miss seeing them at the bird show.
    I think my biggest problem is that I am an old bird lover and I haven't got over the loss of the Australian bird lawn.
    They have a far less variety of birds now in my opinion. And now three more avairies are going.

P.S I thought the original plans for the Great Southern Ocean had an avairy for coastal birds?????

2. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

Boof, you are absolutely right, there were, initially, plans for a coastal birds/heathland display. i was thinking an aviary along the lines of the current 'eastern suburbs banksia scrub' would have been approtriate, but obvioulsy this plan was pushed aside.
    i too miss the Australian Bird Lawns. rolling green grass, tall gums, huge diversity of birds and always quiet. even the back of the aviaries were interesting and steeped in history. I remember a whole section of wall hand-painted by a keeper from yesteryear, which feature species like whydah and other softbills no longer seen in this country.
    but at the end of the day, i feel the birds are better appreciated in their new environments.
    however, I would like to see cassowary back at the zoo soon.

3. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Well, it's 10 months since the last posting on this thread.
    Are the cassowaries on display yet?

4. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Not yet. The exhibit is pretty much finished, but the animals have not been moved yet.

5. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Thanks, ZooPro.
    I must admit that I haven't been to Taronga for a while. (It's been too darn hot and the place would have been very busy.)
    I must visit soon. I've got withdrawal symptoms.

6. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was there today. The exhibit looks O.K. I am a little worried about the space between the cables that are meant to contain them. a child could probably fit through them.

7. zooworker

zooworker Well-Known Member

There will be a retaing fence to keep childeren back

8. Danale

Danale Well-Known Member

they are moving the birds one at a time - the female will be moving first - her crate training is going well - wont be long til the move occurs!