Join our zoo community

Cat Species in UK Zoos

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by d1000uk, 3 Jul 2014.

Tags:
  1. d1000uk

d1000uk New Member

I am trying to put together a complete list of UK zoos holding felids (cats) and the species they hold. If people would list here zoos that they know about listing zoo name and felid species (cat) at the zoo it would be much appreciated. Trying to find this info on zoo websites is almost impossible.
    Thanks for your assistance.

2. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

have you tried zootierliste?

I can't post links on my phone but I'm sure someone will be along to do so shortly... ;)

3. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

Exmoor Zoo:

Asian Golden Cats
    Caracals
    Pumas
    Leopards (Melanistic)
    Fishing Cats
    Arabian Sand Cats
    Cheetah (A Male called Dave - epic name for a Cheetah!)
    Ocelot (off show at moment)
    Palawan Leopard Cats (only ones in UK)

Paignton Zoo:

Sumatran Tiger
    Asiatic Lion
    Cheetah

With Zootierliste you have to check every subspecies, for some animals like Asian Golden Cats they won't give info just under Asian Golden cats, you'll have to find the precise subspecies to find what zoo's have them.

Last edited: 3 Jul 2014
  4. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Asian Golden Cats are there, but split between subspecies:

C. t. temminckii - ZootierlisteHomepage
    C. t. dominicanorum -
    ZootierlisteHomepage
    C. t. tristis - ZootierlisteHomepage

The only issue with Zootierliste is inherent to its user-edited status - sometimes people make mistakes and the more people edit the more mistakes you get. It's pretty well-'policed' though so should be up-to-date as far as possible.

5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You have to scroll down the list. Asian Golden Cat is also listed as Chinese Golden Cat (Thrigby) and Tibetan Golden Cat (Edinburgh, Exmoor)

6. d1000uk

d1000uk New Member

I have just been looking at zootierliste - very good website, thanks Brum. I agree with Drago comments though. I think the problem is that zoo stock is constantly changing and so keeping websites up to date is almost impossible for organisations that are primally there to protect our fast demising wildlife.

7. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Actually Zootierlist lists the following:-

• Tibetian golden cat (and the Exmoor animals are listed here)
    • S. E. Asian golden cat
    • Chinese golden cat

EDIT:- Sorry my post crossed with those from "Maguari" and "bongorob"

8. coffeepheasant

coffeepheasant Member

Exmoor also has rusty spotted cats XD

9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Unless things have changed, they actually have a rusty-spotted cat enclosure which has been empty for 18 months since their last animals were sent to RSCC.

10. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

They are going to house the Leopard Cats in the Rusty spotted Cats old enclosure. I spoke to the head keeper a while ago and he said they hope to get Rusty spotted cats back again soon. The Ocelot is off show and the Golden Cats are in his enclosure now. They will build a new enclosure for the Ocelot in the future.

11. TeaLovingDave

I pretty much assumed that was where they were going to go - any news on when they are planned to go onshow? I believe the original plan was Easter but presume this fell by the wayside.

12. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

Not sure when they will be on show. On my last few monthly visits they was working on the enclosure. The info boards for the rusty cats have always been up but on my last visit they had taken one down and put up a Leopard cats info board instead, but still had rusty cat info boards out. I will be going again next friday and will see if they're on show yet. I believe they were meant to be on show by Easter, whilst the yellow throated martens were meant to be by summer but they went on show a few months ago. So I presume they should be on show by summer at the latest.

13. TeaLovingDave

14. craneman

craneman Member

Drago is indeed correct about the Ocelot and Golden cat. The Rusty's have indeed returned to Exmoor with one Male on display next to the Leopard cats and another Male off display at the moment.

15. TeaLovingDave

Very pleased to hear this! Considering the size of the collection as a whole, you are certainly developing into one of the best and most comprehensive small cat collections in the UK. I dearly hope to return before too long.

16. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@ d1000uk - welcome to ZooChat from a fellow cat fanatic. You are lucky as there are cats there in the UK that are no longer held here in the states (either public or private collections). You are even luckier as you are only a short Eurostar trip away from France and the best cat collection ever assembled: Le Parc Des Felins. It is my favorite zoo on earth and I have been there several times.

As for UK, good collections are at Port Lympne (been there), Wildlife Heritage Foundation (been there), Rare Species Conservation Centre (not been). The gem of Port Lympne may be the Indian wildcat (desert cat), as they will likely die out soon and probably not be visible in any zoos outside India.

Tea Loving Dave can probably give you the complete UK list you are seeking.

17. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

18. TeaLovingDave

Nah, I've been assured that they are definite Oncillas; however, the animals at Parc des Felins are Tigrillo, which means that Arizona Docent may not have seen an Oncilla before!

19. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oncilla are currently 'off show' in the new area in the first cage from the left, as you look through the original tiger enclosure towards the tayra, by the barn. I was lucky enough to see 2 today. The new area is now signed as opening soon, but when i went in early 2013, was meant to be opening at Easter that year.

20. TeaLovingDave

Actually they have Oncilla both onshow in the old enclosure *and* offshow in the new complex. As the tiger enclosure has now opened I suspect the carnivore complex will not be far behind.