Join our zoo community

Catalogue of Penguins in Captivity Worldwide

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Chlidonias, 4 Feb 2018.

1. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Seaworld San Diego 100% has a large breeding colony of Humboldt penguins. They are housed off display with a couple of brandts cormorants and a skua in the south west part of the park.

Great Argus and Chlidonias like this.
  2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Come to think of it, why would you keep a skua with a breeding colony of penguins? Doesn't seem like that would be a very good idea...

3. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Time to update the captive status of the Australian little penguin, :)

Chlidonias likes this.
  4. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Nanjing Underwater World currently has three on show. They didn't look full sized to me. Abysmal exhibit as well.

Chlidonias likes this.
  5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Weymouth Sea Life in England now has 25 Australian Little Blue Penguins

Thanks for putting this fantastic list together! Very useful and informative and it works as the unofficial first "ZooChat Photographic Guide" for birds :)

Where did you hear that the US population of King Penguin is all mixed? I've almost always seen birds listed a nominate (which is what I have Edinburgh's down as also). Also when did Little Blues get split?

Oh and yes the US population of rockhoppers is the nominate.

I never really thought of Chinstrap and Magellanic as being on the rarer side, as I've seen them regularly at CPZ and Bronx for years. I suppose I'm quite lucky on the penguin front as the WCS collections hold 8 out of the 12 species between them!

Fun fact: I have seen every species of penguin in the US bar Northern Rockhopper so far this year, including both subspecies of Gentoo. I should remedy this before the year is out, though not at Moody Gardens.

~Thylo

Chlidonias and Great Argus like this.
  6. Great Argus

That's true, wonder if that series will be soon in coming!

It was a while ago, though as I understand it, at least one of the proposed species is debated.

I wouldn't have thought Magellanic was rare either, they're the species I've seen the most.

Impressive Thylo!

ThylacineAlive and Chlidonias like this.
  7. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Nagoya port doesn't seems to have king penguin(At least not on JAZA and on my visit). It seems to be the only zoo with all four Antarctica penguin though.

I also think some of the "Emperor" in China is King, or vice versa. I mean, what is the reason of keeping two similar species?

Chlidonias likes this.
  8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I have only included species for the Asian zoos which I have verified via photos or official listings. The Emperors in my list are all definitely Emperors, and there are almost certainly other Chinese aquariums with Emperors which I'm not aware of.

Regarding King Penguin at Nagoya I think I had it from a photo, but I'm not sure - I'll add a question mark for that one.

9. Chlidonias

Three ...? Little Blues (based on the previous post to yours)?

10. Chlidonias

Yes, I shall add those in (it's taken me a while to find time for updating the list).

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  11. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Sorry, this is Emperor Penguins, for those not following the thread closely.

Chlidonias likes this.
  12. Chlidonias

I think the majority of America's Kings are nominate because Sea World's are of that subspecies. However I also know that at least some birds have come from South Africa (i.e. halli). ZIMS lists American birds as both nominate and non-subspecific.

13. Chlidonias

That there are two distinct genetic lineages has been known since the early 2000s, but they weren't split as separate species until 2015. It's not something which has gained a lot of traction yet but it will likely become standard. There's a paper here from 2017 which covers some of it: https://www.researchgate.net/public...dyptula_penguins_Sphenisciformes_Spheniscidae

(I don't actually split the two as full species in my personal bird lists, but that's more because it isn't important - I have the separate taxa on the lists so I know what I've seen, and splitting them is only adding numbers - and partly because in New Zealand they can't be distinguished visually).

14. Chlidonias

Not "soon" but yes probably in the future. Mammals need to be completed first.

15. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Don't wait for me :p There are still 20 bovid splits to be discussed, a good number of those is relatively straightforward, but especially the genus Ovis is complicated. After the bovids it will speed up considerably, though there still is a Mazama mess and complex stories for Red deer, Sika and Wild boar....

ThylacineAlive and Chlidonias like this.
  16. Chlidonias

I was meaning more that all the mammal threads will need to be "completed or in progress" (which realistically means "all completed except lintworm's one").

17. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

You say this, but before I do my planned Xenarthran, Afrothere and Insectivore threads I am awaiting the publication of the next HMW volume, which will be very useful for ensuring the taxonomy is as up-to-date as possible :p so I am seriously considering doing an owl thread as something of a palate cleanser, as we have a pretty decent array of species represented in the gallery and I have plenty of resources for the taxonomy.

18. Great Argus

How about Magellanic, Humboldt, and African? Yes, they all may look similar and the average zoo visitor may not be able to tell the difference, but the three do not overlap much in the wild. IUCN lists African as endangered, Humboldt as vulnerable, and Magellanic as near threatened. These species all provide an opportunity for promoting conservation, and the large captive populations help safeguard against extinction.
    The same applies for Jaguar/Leopard, White/Black Rhino, Hyacinth/Lear's Macaw, Sumatran/Bornean Orangutan, Gila Monster/Mexican Beaded Lizard, etc... Both similar species are equally important. Focusing on one species means a high chance of losing the other in captivity, look at how the vast majority of brown bears in the US are Grizzlies, and Amur Leopards predominate with only rarely another subspecies turning up.

19. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Will you be tackling White-Tailed Deer?

~Thylo

20. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is a difficult one as G&G do not split this species, they don't even split Black-tailed deer from Mule deer, which if they had occured in Africa, would easily have done. They also present no own data on the geographic variation of White-tailed deer, but for sure many of the 38 subspecies are probably invalid and their might be hidden species, as shown by the recent Gutierrez et al. (2017) article (A gene-tree test of the traditional taxonomy of American deer: the importance of voucher specimens, geographic data, and dense sampling). So I will probably end up spending some time on discussing the current status of research and highlight which parts of the picture are missing, but I won't be able to say much about the validity of most subspecies...