Join our zoo community

Cataloguing Cetacean Exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by The Vegan, 29 Jun 2015.

1. The Vegan

The Vegan Well-Known Member

LIST OF SEAPENS IN THE US & CANADA

Dolphin Research Center | 58901 Overseas Highway | Grassy Key , FL

Dolphin Connection; 61 Hawks Cay Boulevard Duck Key, FL

Dolphins Plus Bayside; 101900 Overseas Hwy, Key Largo, FL

Dolphins Plus Oceanside; 31 Corinne Pl, Key Largo, FL

Dolphin Quest Oahu; The Kahala Hotel & Resort, 5000 Kahala Avenue, Honolulu, HI

Dolphin Quest Hawaii; Hilton Waikoloa Village: 69-425 Waikoloa Beach Drive, Waikoloa, Hawaii, 96738, USA

Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology, 46-007 Lilipuna Road, Kane‘ohe, HI*
    *Seapens are located off Coconut Island

US Navy; Point Loma Base

2. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If we're talking seapens, the Roatan Institute of Marine Sciences in Honduras keeps bottlenose dolphins in seapens. According to Cetabase, they have 19 bottlenose dolphins.

3. The Vegan

Okay; I've written it down, but since that's Central America I won't add it to the catalogue I'm currently researching.

It should be interesting to see how seapens compare to pools in terms of volume...

4. The Vegan

EPCOT; THE LIVING SEAS

"The aquarium includes a 120,000 gallon dolphin performing tank, two 30,000 gallon dolphin holding tanks..."

The Living Seas Fact Sheet

I suppose all the tanks this document refers to are behind the scenes (despite the reference to a "performing tank") Seeing as the dolphins have partial access to the large Caribbean Coral Reef tank; I'll conservatively estimate the volume of their portion of the habitat to be 1.425 million gallons, or one-fourth of the entire tank. Max Depth: 27 feet. Any corrections or further information on this exhibit would be appreciated!

Last edited: 15 Jul 2015
  5. The Vegan

On San Diego's Beluga:

The whales have access to three pools comprising the main exhibit pool, the medical pool and a beluga holding pool. The main exhibit pool measures approximately 21.9 meters long, 14. 6 meters wide, and 5.4 meters deep (72 x 48 x 18 feet). This pool holds roughly 1.76 million liters (465,000 gallons) of saltwater. The medical pool, with a lifting bottom, connects the exhibit to a back holding pool for the whales. The seals have their own separate holding area. The medical pool measures 7. 32 m long, 3.35 m wide and 2.4 m deep (24 x 11 x 8 ft), containing 59,809 L (15,800 gal). The beluga whale holding pool is about 8. 5 m long, 8.2 m wide and 3. 6 m deep (28 x 27 x 12 ft), accommodating 256,651 L (67,800 gal). An external holding pool (“Holding pool C”), was used to temporarily house the dominant, 26-yearold male, the father, just before the calf’s birth. Holding pool C is 12 m long, 12 m wide and 3 m deep (40 x 40 x 10 ft), containing 454,249 L (120,000 gal) of natural salt water.

Soundings – Q1 2012 : Conditioning Of A Neonate Beluga Whale