Join our zoo community

Catskill Game Farm (Closed) Catskill Game Farm

Discussion in 'United States' started by Screvier20, 17 Jul 2011.

1. Screvier20

Screvier20 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As anyone been to the Catskill Game Farm before it closed in 2006. I went every years from 1990-2000(age of 3-13) growing up. I kick myself for not getting back before it closed. Here is a link to some thing on the game farm
    Catskill Game Farm

2. Screvier20

Here some info I found online.

The Catskill Game Farm was opened in 1933 by Roland Lindemann, and was still owned by the Lindemann family, as Catskill Game Farm Inc. at the time of its closing. At first, it held only deer, donkys, and sheep. In 1958, the United States Department of Agriculture recognized Catskill as a zoo, and it became the first privately-owned venture to achieve such status. The collection was now allowed to grow more exotic and at the time of its closing played host to roughly 2,000 animals from over 150 species, imported from around the world.

The zoo spanned more than 370 hectares (914 acres), most of which was used to breed animals for other zoos worldwide. Only around 55 hectares (136 acres) was available for public viewing, and then only in the summer and autumn.

3. Screvier20

Here some more info I found online.

Catskill Game Farm at its peak in the 1960s, the game farm had an average season of up to half a million visitors. By the time it close business was down to about 100,000 visitors a season. It would have take about 150,000 to 200,000 visitors annually to make the operation viable. The farm needed about a 5 million dollar facelift. It got a little run down in the final years.

4. chizlit

chizlit Well-Known Member

It sure was an interesting place from what I've read.
    Was it too far and difficult to reach from New York City which is where many visitors could have come from?
    Loved viewing the old pictures on the zoo's site. How many bears were in that pit?!
    And nice to see all the kids mixing freely with alpaca's. It's not really encouraged nowadays for visitors to mix so freely with the animals, in my view it's sad that we cant but that's a whole different set of problems.

5. Screvier20

The Catskill Game Farm was about 120 miles north New York City and about 56 miles from the Albany, NY area where I am from. It was the last of the great Catskill tourist attractions close. But not all is lost the Bailiwick Ranch is Horse Ranch with Horse trail near the old Catskill Game Farm buy many of the game farm animal and opened a small zoo in 2007 but I have not be their.

The map you saw on the website was from the 60's here is one from the 90's. See of African Section.

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

6. Screvier20

Here is a youtube video The Abandoned Catskill Game Farm

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  7. Screvier20

The Catskill Game Farm Bird Garden opened in 1958 the Cafeteria opened a year later next in the Bird Garden. The African section in 1960 the Reptile House in 1962. The animal shows in 1976 with a permanent show ring with seating and a roof in 1977.

8. Screvier20

Found this on youtube an old commercial for the Catskill Game Farm. This one three different commercials ran by the Catskill Game Farm.

9. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

10. Screvier20

11. Screvier20

12. Screvier20

Find three Catskill Game Farm videos on youtube. They are most of the petting zoo area. All from the 1960's.

13. Screvier20

I tracked down the lyrics too the old Catskill Game Farm song.

You'll find adventure, at Catskill Game Farm, adventure is in our nature!

Talk to the animals and you'll see just whisper in their ear...

You'll be suprised at what they know...

Ask any llama or deer

buffalo are in the know...

they shout it loud and clear!

you'll find adventure at catskill game farm, adventure is in our nature!

14. Screvier20

Catskill Game Farm Kiddie Rides

Here is video of the Kiddie Rides at the Catskill Game Farm. This part of the zoo also had a playground, Mini Golf course, and Splashdown attraction. Animals in this section were giant tortoises, ring-tailed lemur, american alligator, the Pere David deer, pits for both the Wild Boar and Collared peccaries and various species of waterfowl at the Duck pool. The ring-tailed lemur habitat was in the middle of the Duck pool.