Join our zoo community

Zoo København CAZA Reaction to Giraffe Death in Copenhange

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by TZFan, 10 Feb 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As Im sure by now many of you have heard Marius a healthy but genetically unvaluable 18 month old male giraffe was euthanized at Copenhagen Zoo to prevent inbreeding instead of transferring him elsewhere. A public necropsy was held, in front of small children, and then his body fed to carnivores. The moves have created such an outcry that the CAZA felt necessary to clarifly its own positions.

Canada's Accredited Zoos and Aquariums (CAZA) | Statement from Canada's Accredited Zoos and Aquariums on the Copenhagen Zoo giraffe cull

If Im not misreading the CAZA to hear what would make me feel better I believe they are trying to make two things clear.

First the issue of euthanasia is not taken lightly here. While a policy exists at each zoo for euthanasia as a population control mechanism its only done as a last resort and must be done as humanely as possible (this probably means not putting a bullet in the head just so meat isnt spoiled for others). I know Toronto has had its issues with this several years ago when the decision was made to kill two male reindeer calves after older males couldnt be rehomed despite the zoos best efforts to find homes. After the outcry the zoo reexamined the way it handled the herd. The older males and a third male calf were sent to Bowmanville who I bet were asked before to take them in but changed their mind for the good press. Since then I dont believe there have been calves since clearly our older animals are well represented. Thats the responsible thing to do. Dont have babies that arent needed because its unfair to kill them as a solution to your problem.

Secondly it seems they do not agree with the decision to hold a necropsy in public especially in front of children. Even as an adult it would bring me to tears to see any poor zoo animal dead... I even feel bad killing mice who invade my home bringing their germs. I cannot imagine the horror I would have experienced being a kid who showed up to the zoo that day and saw a giraffe... a personal favourite of mine... dead, especially with a bullet in his head and blood on the ground. But the public necropsy goes even a step further. I could never watch that myself much less subject my child to seeing it. I for one am thankful our zoos shield us and more importantly our children from that.

Im glad the CAZA spoke out and clarified their positions. Canadian zoos do not need to lumped into the same category as Copenhagen. Actions like theirs just give more ammuntion to the anti zoos and if our zoos behaved in a similar manner I just couldnt support them. Im glad our zoos put our animals welfare first and protect childrens innocence.

Last edited by a moderator: 10 Feb 2014
  2. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Should this not be in the main thread rather than started yet another?

3. TZFan

Umm maybe but I was just trying to share what our Canadian zoo association had to say about those two elements of the death. I saw it as more of a Canadian policy thing than a Marius thing.

4. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You make it sound like the public was forced to watch the necropsy. These people made the conscious decision to watch something they might find interesting. I would certainly like to watch a giraffe necropsy and get the opportunity to see what internal structures/organ of a giraffe look like. Those people present for the necropsy in Copenhagen were not held against their will.

5. TZFan

Ok maybe I wasnt totally fair there. I would be horrified but I know others like yourself would be very interested and there is absolutely nothing wrong with either persons feelings. Your right they werent forced to watch and I hope there were plenty of signs all over to warn people of what they might see if they wanted to go in. The kids being allowed in bothers me still though but thats probably because I wouldnt want my children seeing that. I would much better with it if kids hadnt been allowed in. Its personal taste though and I should have allowed for that in my comment. You are correct Gerenuk and I apologize if I offended you in any way.

6. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

So as I expected, the discussion continues. This really should be moved.

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Agreed - moved and locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.