Join our zoo community

Wales Ape & Monkey Sanctuary Cefn-yr-Erw Primate Sanctuary

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MonkeyGirlAmy, 5 May 2010.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Could be indeed- but it isn't!:D

2. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Baboons in particular or all primates, or indeed zoo animals, from hot countries?

3. Pertinax

I was just thinking about these Baboons really. Obviously living in tiny cramped cages in the Middle East isn't the answer for them either, but is moving to a more spacious enclosure but in a colder climate a better outlook? Particularly an exposed Welsh hillside. I don't know really.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I just thought the Kuwayt Zoo was upgrading many of its exhibits, including those for primate species. Unless you know their history?
    (Care to explain???)

5. Pertinax

I don't think it implies these Baboons were from the Kuwait Zoo-or were they? It does say they were in a Sanctuary which hadn't got room for them. Most of the other Hamadryas Baboon refugees at the Welsh Sanctuary were rescued as 'pets' from horrendously small cages as photos showed, and then later transferred to Wales.

I think any Baboons kept in reasonable conditions in zoos in the Middle East (even if not up to Western standards) are better off where they are rather than moved to chilly UK.

6. OrangePerson

So by this logic should British zoos have ANY animals from a hot climate?

It appears from Facebook that the shelter didn't have room and asked WAMS to take them. Presumably their places were needed for new rescues.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Pertinax, OK, point taken .. did not know the baboons where from a rescue facility and not the city zoo.

I would advocate that there is a government responsibility / onus on to provide best animal care in rescue centers. Sadly, it is almost always lacking on the government side (strange when you think of it how ultimately bureaucratic they can be when it comes to animal welfare issues in zoo enclosure design, and often with bloody little concept of ...).

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the Kuwait Zoo has a large surplus of monkeys (not just baboons) and has been trying to off-load them onto other places. There's a thread about it in the Kuwait section of this forum. I would assume these baboons went from the zoo to the sanctuary and then to Wales.

9. Kifaru Bwana

That cries out for some good population management and a review of zoo surplus policies.

10. OrangePerson

From a picture on Facebook at least one of them appears to have been a pet as it was wearing clothes. If they had come from the zoo then it's disgraceful that they were overbred and sent to an animal shelter.

11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the Zoochat thread about the monkey surplus at the Kuwait Zoo is here: http://www.zoochat.com/930/primate-surplus-kuwait-zoo-224833/

It certainly does seem like they need some sort of population management scheme.

I will stress I have no idea if the ones from the zoo ended up in the animal shelter, it was just a passing thought. It is just as likely that they are abandoned or confiscated pets. (It should be noted that the animal shelter is operated by the Kuwait Society for the Protection of Animals and Their Habitat [K'S PATH]).

12. Kifaru Bwana

Chlidonias, I read the entire primate surplus feature on Kuwayt Zoo with some trepidation. My hands were itching to go and do something about it. It is so damn easy to take population management measures (and I do not mean euthanasia as the option, just one of many). :(

On the whole though / and to be fair the Kuwayt Zoo has improved beyond belief in recent years (just look at the felid and canid exhibit modifications). These admittedly simple improvements could be transposed on putting in some simple population management too (and thus further improve animal welfare also).

13. Pertinax

Most Zoo animals nowadays are zoo-bred and from acclimatised stock and/or acclimatised themselves and are not imported directly from their countries of origin. These rescued primates are one such example where animals still move directly from hot to 'cold'. Against that they will certainly be better looked after though.

Last edited: 6 May 2012
  14. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A male Mandrill is due to arrive from Poland very shortly

15. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

News

There was an article on the Sanctuary in the local paper with the following news - the new mandrill is an 8 year neutered male from an un-named Polish Zoo , unfortunately the hand-reared female mandrill that came from Southport has died . Three baboons rescued from Kuwait have completed quarantine . Four brown lemurs arrived from a French zoo .

I also visited recently on a sunny day , all the inhabitants were enjoying the sunshine . A recent enclosure houses a group of at least 8 black-capped capuchins . The black mangabey male lives with the male spider monkey ( the female mandrill that died was also labelled at the same enclosure ) . The female Japanese macaque lives with with a male long-tailed macaque that was stowaway on a ship in Malaysia . I saw 3 gibbons , lar Oliver ex penscynor , hybrid female Yoko ex Southport and a single lar ( though the sign said there were a father and daughter ex Southport , the other could have been inside ) .

I saw 7 chimps . Freddie ( ex Causeway ) , Suzi ( ex Penscynor ) and Bimbo ( a fairly recent arrival ) have all died - as noted on their Facebook pages .

There were no wolves , the originals died of old age , the newer enclosure was empty with no sign on it .

16. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is Tubman(ex Mole Hall) still there?

17. OrangePerson

Yes he is, he's looking great and is a lovely chimp. He's getting on well with Jason (ex Southport)

18. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks, glad to hear it, he must be well into his 40s, i think he was at Mole Hall when i first visited as a child in the early 70s!

19. OrangePerson

Yes, they have his birth as 'in the 1960s' in Liberia!

20. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The President of Liberia at that time was Mr Tubman.

Alan