Join our zoo community

Celebrating Zoochat's diversity

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by amur leopard, 16 May 2020.

1. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here is a map of all the places where we have members. It is striking how many different places we cover together.

Zoochat Global.png
    We cover almost all of Europe. Exclusions are relatively predictable: Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Iceland and Montenegro, who between them only have at most a handful of zoos. South America, though it has relatively few countries, is surprisingly well-covered, and Asia is covered entirely apart from the Central Asian countries and Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Vietnam (and the Maldives, East Timor and North Korea, who I don't believe have any zoos.)
    The Middle East and Africa are really the two areas we haven't attracted many fans, but that should hopefully change soon with the development of zoos in the Middle East in particular. Other places we predictably don't have members from are the Australasian island countries and the Caribbean.

However, we cover a huge variety and number of countries and have visited many more.
    If anyone is or knows a member who comes from a country I haven't mentioned, it would be really helpful if they could say because I haven't really done this very comprehensively, I just searched through the media galleries and forums. :)

2. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

You didn't include me, I am from Panama.:):)

3. amur leopard

Oh sorry :(
    I definitely remembered you, and even put you on my initial list of those I could think of off the top of my head, but somehow I forgot to put it on. Really sorry about that :(

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  4. Jungle Man

It is okay. Are you counting from where we live or where we were born?

ZooBinh likes this.
  5. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are you counting where we live or like where we are from?

6. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

It would be good if @amur leopard can make a map that shows how many members live in Hungary, for example.

amur leopard likes this.
  7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

We should also note that some people do not list their location in their profile (one top contributor says something like "everywhere at once"). However this is a very good map and I appreciate your effort. It is well known among many regulars that the most number of users are in the UK followed by the USA in second.

amur leopard and ZooBinh like this.
  8. amur leopard

Generally what you say in your profile, but I did come across the fact that you are originally from Vietnam @ZooBinh so I was really tempted to fill that one in as well :D

I didn't really look through the Hungary galleries because I knew before I started that at least two members came from there, so I put it on my 'starter' list.

I'm thinking of doing a sort of US states map but the problem would be that lots of people list themselves as from the USA but not an individual state. :)

HungarianBison likes this.
  9. amur leopard

And here is the USA map.

Zoochat USA.png
    Pretty good coverage overall, with the only states missing being Idaho, Mississippi, North and South Dakota, West Virginia, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Only Idaho was really surprising out of these. The harder ones to find were residents of Hawai'i, South Carolina, Oregon and Rhode Island.

Any requests?

TinoPup likes this.
  10. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Why would Idaho be surprising? It's scarcely populated and only has 4 zoos/aquariums.

On a side note, I find it interesting that all the places that don't have a member are also states with a limited amount of zoos; I don't think that's a coincidence.

11. amur leopard

It was only because Idaho has a decent-sized zoo (Zoo Boise) and a few others, whereas Vermont or New Hampshire essentially have none. I just meant surprising compared to the others.

12. Jungle Man

Ok, @amur leopard . I am Venezuelan, so that is why I asked. But, of course I live in Panama.

amur leopard and Yoshistar888 like this.
  13. amur leopard

Ah, OK. That makes sense. I now regret saying that, but I guess I'd better follow the rules I've set our myself :D

Jungle Man likes this.
  14. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

Idk if this matters, but what if we formerly lived somewhere? I don't mean to make things confusing.

15. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

North Korea does have a zoo, a rather elaborate looking one actually, with ~5,000 animals. The problem there is the restricted access to internet.

amur leopard likes this.
  16. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I don't think that applies since it isn't your current location otherwise I would have said to mark Ethiopia on the map.

MonkeyBat likes this.
  17. amur leopard

I don't know, I mean did you live in that place while you were on Zoochat at any point?

18. amur leopard

Didn't Robert Mugabe send animals from Zimbabwe there?

19. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thank you for your effort, amur leopard. Very interesting. Just 2 points that pop up in my mind:
    1. There is (or was) a member from Iceland (Valur or something...)
    2. Have you got the chance to create an entire ranking of the members nationwise (although ArizonaDozent already wrote that No 1 will be UK followed by the US, the following position would also so be interesting)?

amur leopard and LowlandGorilla4 like this.
  20. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am pretty sure Ituri is in Idaho (unless he has recently moved).