Join our zoo community

Central Park Zoo Central Park Zoo news

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 30 May 2008.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes!! That is exactly what we need for Polar Bear enclosures. We have a few like that. Columbus has one like that and the zoo's a real hope for captive breeding.

Yes it is a good idea. It'll be interesting finding something to replace them, though?

~Thylo:cool:

2. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Have you seen Pied Avocets in the Rainforest, when you went to the Zoo ?

3. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

- No I did not see them on my visit.

4. ThylacineAlive

I wanna say I did see them when I visited on March 15 but I'm not 100% sure.

5. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

- The zoo may very well have them but last week they must have been off exhibit as they are always on the beach area of the forest.

6. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

7. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

9. ThylacineAlive

I got an unexpected chance to visit today and I took it!:D

First off, there are now Pink-Eared Ducks, Philippine Diucks, and a pair of Sri Lankan Junglefowl in the Tisch's Children's Zoo aviary. Also, I believe the zoo has wild form Swan Goose but I'll have to have some bird experts check on that first before I say anything for sure.

The White-Naped Crane chick has gotten pretty big now. As for other zoo babies, there were some Banded Mongoose pups and a pair of Gentoo Penguins were nesting.

The second Snow Leopard enclosure is closed for renovation. I'd think they were just doing some routine maintenance but the keeper said she wasn't sure if they'd recognize the enclosure once it was finished so possibly for a new species?? As for the bear enclosure, all possible views of it are blocked off but the lady said to keep an eye on the papers because there would be a big surprise coming soon.

10. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

I always thought it would be great to get another species of cat at the central park Zoo. Since it is in the "temperate" zone either cougar or amur leopard (originally were going to get an exhibit at prospect park) would be great. I wonder about the bear exhibit to. Maybe the big suprise will be the zoo acquired another polar bear, but most likely it will be another bear species. I think its not suitable for a large bear like a grizzly, but black bear would be good and there are none in WCS zoos.

11. ThylacineAlive

Indeed it'd be nice. If the zoo is doing heavy renovation, though, it might not even end up being for a mountainous species. If they were to get rid of one of the Snow Leopard enclosures, I'd prefer it be the first one since the second one is a much better one for the species. As for the bear enclosure. I wouldn't be overly surprised if, since Bronx just put Markhor in the final enclosure of the monorail, Central Park maybe got the Himalayan Tahr. The zoos missing an ungulate and it'd be interesting to see them in that enclosure. Just an idea, though. Not sure how realistic it is.

12. ThylacineAlive

One thing I forgot to mention was my favorite quote I heard today! I kid walks up to the Japanese Macaque enclosure, looks at the pool, and says, "Oh my God! It's the rare and endangered water!":D

13. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

14. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Interesting. But what about indoor accommodation? And infrastructure for crowd flow. I'm not convinced it would work.

But that certainly would be a big surprise.

15. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

These things take years, if not decades, to work out. Omaha and Oakland Zoos spent years trying to get pandas and it didn't work out (or they just gave up).

The word on the (well-informed, zoo insider) street is that brown bears are going into the ex-polar bear exhibit.

16. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. ThylacineAlive

18. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

Betty and Veronica were the last of the orphan cubs that came in 1995. I think there was 4 originally. I think Betty and Veronica are kept off scene except some few days when they are let out onto the exhibit. They are definitely older bears. The three other cubs are new and I hope to eventually see them on exhibit since new cubs are great to see. They should draw a crowd to Central Park once there since you can get really close to the bears.

19. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Before the 4 bears that arrived in 2010, Betty and Veronica were the ones that were regularly on exhibit.

20. ThylacineAlive

Ah I see now. Thanks both of you!