Join our zoo community

Central Park Zoo Central Park Zoo news

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 30 May 2008.

1. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

What happend to the Parks polar bear(s) ?Were they send to the Bronx or to another zoo ?

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They all died of old age.

3. Bib Fortuna

Thank you, David.

4. Bib Fortuna

Another question-what mammals species are currently in the Rainforest ? Do they still keep sloths there? According to the webside, they have now tamanuda and mountain coati ( what species ?) in it-can anybody tell me, where excactly ? And if I remember correctly, the silvery tamarins were replaced for red titis ? Thank you in advance !

5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't think there are any mammals in the main mixed-aviary anymore with the sloths and chevrotains having disappeared. The zoo no longer displays tamandua and hasn't for a long time and I cannot find any mention of them on the zoo's website. The coati species the zoo holds are just Nasua nasua, though I believe it's thought the animals listed as "Mountain Coatis" are the Andean subspecies N. n. montana. They're actually kept in an enclosure that it viewed from right outside the exit to the building. Silvery Marmosets haven't been there for years either and the zoo doesn't have "red titis" but does keep Bolivian Grey Titis. The other mammals kept are Seba's Short-Tailed Bat, Northern Luzon Giant Cloud Rat, Black-and-White Ruffed Lemur, Banded Mongoose, Cotton-Top Tamarin, and White-Faced Saki which are also exhibited in an outdoor enclosure that's connected to the building.

~Thylo:cool:

6. Bib Fortuna

Thank you, Thylo. I found the Tamduas info on their webside, whcih seems to be not the best one-so unfortuantely, no mountain coatis...do you know why teh zoo removed the sloths and chevrotains ? Is teh zoo still keeping them ? What about Rodrioques Flying foxes ? And where are the banded mongooses housed ?

I also would like to know, how many species,seperated in mammals, birds,reptiles,amphibians,fish and invertebrates the zoo keeps currently ? I guess,largest part should be the birds ?

7. ThylacineAlive

Again, I went on there site and can't see any info. on tamanduas. But yeah, WCS sites aren't the best. No idea. Never saw the sloth. The signage is still there for the chevrotain but I haven't seen it since 2012. Oh I forgot about the flying foxes! Yes they're still kept in the large main aviary. The mongoose are exhibited right by the titis.

You want a whole species list for the zoo??

8. threeple61

threeple61 Well-Known Member

Chevrotain off exhibit to try and promote breeding as there are so few breeding in the US.

9. Bib Fortuna

If you have such a list, that would be fine, but I need to know, how many mammal, how many bird species are being kept. Is there any reason, why the zoo hasn't celebrated his 150 years anniversary this year ? Nothing to read on their(poor)webside.....no book, nothing...

10. Bib Fortuna

I thought, the chevrotain have bred in the Rainforest hall ? Lesser Mouse deer breeding well in such tropical halls .

11. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

On the WCS news site; the two young harbor seals from the NY Aquarium are on exhibit at the Central Park Zoo. They are in Polar Circle where they used to inhabit before it became a sea bird exhibit. I am not sure if the large collection of Arctic ducks will remain or if they all will be moved to the Children's Zoo. Will be nice to see the seals; however the underwater viewing capabilities of the exhibit is poor.

12. ThylacineAlive

That seabird enclosure was actually originally a Harbor Seal enclosure:p And a poor one if you ask me. I would have preferred if the zoo hadn't gone back into that species in that enclosure.

13. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio won't support US Representative Carolyn Maloney's plan to bring Giant Pandas to Central Park Zoo.
    De Blasio won’t lift a paw to help bring pandas to NYC: Maloney | New York Post
    Part of the article reads, "The city that doesn't sleep isn't complete without the huge, endangered creatures." The city that doesn't sleep is looking for an animal that spends much of its time sleeping. :p

14. ThylacineAlive

Not only that, this congresswoman seems to be ignoring the most crucial fact against her plan: none of the New York City zoos want a Giant Panda!!

:p

15. ThylacineAlive

The pair of Grizzly Bears are now on-exhibit:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJVY2gC2Q1s

Is it just me for does it look as though they've really renovated that enclosure quite a bit? I remember it being all mock-rock and looking really blare and bland but it looks really good imo.

16. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wish they showed a picture of the new pool, I'm curious to see how they made it less deep for the Grizzlies. Still looks a little too mock-rocky, but I can see where they added in some real ground. Looks like there's some good climbing, and the streams look good.
    Press release about the new exhibit:
    Wildlife Conservation Society Opens Grizzly Bear Exhibit At Central Park Zoo > WCS Press

17. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

18. ThylacineAlive

I doubt it. Despite what this congresswoman or anyone else wants to happen, both Central Park and Bronx have stated time and time again that the WCS isn't interested in bringing in Giant Pandas at all.

And Central Park just brought in a new pair of Grizzly Bears so I highly doubt they're looking at getting another bear species, especially with no room to put them.

19. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

who knows politics are weird:D:confused:

20. ThylacineAlive

Seems the zoo has updated their website.