Join our zoo community

Cephalopod numbers are rising in the oceans

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by DavidBrown, 25 May 2016.

1. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A new survey of octopus, squid, and cuttlefish populations found that their numbers are actually rising over the last half century. Many fish species have had catastrophic declines in that time period.

Cephalopods may be as smart as apes are (including us). They may be plotting to take over the world from us. Somebody please get on that and report back.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/25/s...on&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

2. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ocotpus uprising! Glad you had the same idea as me, that means at least some of us are a step ahead of the cephalopods. But the real question is, will our human armies stand a chance against these denizens of the deep? I'm trying to figure out whether I should fight the cephalopods or welcome our new squishy overlords.

Er, anyway... This is pretty interesting. I wonder if marine biologists will be able to figure out the cause by studying different species, like, if some cephalopod species have higher populations than others.