Join our zoo community

Cetaceans in Mixed Species Exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by BigNate, 22 Oct 2018.

1. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

While watching a video of the Georgia aquarium, I realized that there were 3 harbor seals sharing the habitat with the beluga whales. This is the only case I can remember off the top of my head of a centacean species being mixed with another species, but I'm sure that can't be right. Are there any I'm missing?

2. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m sure that The Miami Seaquarium keep their Killer whale, Lolita with some dolphins.

BigNate likes this.
  3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

One of the seal sanctuaries in the UK held a porpoise (temporarily) in their rehab pool with grey seals, and possibly a stray hooded seal (not 100% on that last bit) before releasing it a couple of days later. I think it may have been Skegness?

BigNate likes this.
  4. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And historically London tried to keep several porpoises in their seal pool. None lasted very long as most were blinded (some strange sailor's superstition) before they arrived and perished quite quickly. Needless to say, the seals weren't impressed either and apparently kicked up a bit of a fuss. I'm pretty sure @Tim May can provide more details, or if not then check one of the History Of London Zoo treads. :)

BigNate and Jambo like this.
  5. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Six flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo kept a killer whale, Shouka, with some common bottlenose dolphins. Also SeaWorld San Diego keeps a short-finned pilot whale with a common bottlenose dolphin.

evilmonkey239, BigNate and Jambo like this.
  6. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Keeping different cetacean species together is fairly common, especially when a place gets a rescue animal that is otherwise rare/nonexistent in captivity. Though I don't know of many examples of cetas being kept with non-cetas.

7. Merintia

Merintia Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium used to keep some Pantropical Spotted Dolphins on the Whale Shark tank:

8. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes, Pacific White-sided Dolphins.

Did Sea World San Diego also have seals mixed with their Beluga or am I misremembering?

Jambo likes this.
  9. Hipporex

@Maguari SeaWorld San Diego keeps there belugas and some of there seals in "Wild Arctic." However, they're kept in two separate tanks, one right next to the other

Jambo likes this.
  10. Maguari

Thanks. Had a feeling they were mixed when I was there, but that was 20 years ago now (terrifyingly).

11. Hipporex

It is possible it was like that when you where there. I'm just speaking from what I've seen in person in recent years

12. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The species depends on when you visited, but in recent years they’ve kept a ringed seal in with the belugas (I saw it this summer).

SeaWorld Orlando has, on occasion, mixed harp seal with their belugas, but it’s very infrequent and I was lucky to see it several years ago. The harp seal is normally kept behind the scenes.

Georgia Aquarium keeps harbor seals with their belugas.

evilmonkey239 and ThylacineAlive like this.
  13. Maguari

It was 1998 I was in San Diego and it was Common (Harbour) Seals that were in there, nothing fancy! :D

jayjds2 likes this.
  14. Maguari

Awful photo, but I can confirm seal-beluga cohabitation at San Diego SeaWorld in 1998!

Attached Files:

15. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

London Zoo had several porpoises during the 1860s; the first being acquired on 4th December 1862. Sadly none lived long, partly because they were generally in very poor health on arrival.

Anybody wanting to know more about the zoo's attempts to keep porpoises should read the chapter "My Adventures and Journeys with Porpoises" in the third volume of Frank Buckland's "Curiosities of Natural History".

Indeed, according to Buckland, it was the custom of fisherman in some parts of England to "put the poor beast's eyes out" which he refers to as an "un-English action".

The zoo's first porpoise was placed in the seal's pond and Buckland describes how the seals objected to sharing their pond with the intruder. The zoo's second porpoise was put in the sturgeon's pond and Buckland again describes how the sturgeon reacted to the porpoise and comments that the porpoise's presence made the sturgeon look as "fierce as a fish can look".
    On my first half-a-dozen visits to Duisburg Zoo there was a mixed exhibit of beluga and Commerson's dolphin.

Jambo and Brum like this.
  16. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are there mixed exhibits of cetaceans and something other than marine mammals?

17. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I always thought Shouka was kept separately. I could be wrong though.

Far as I was aware the two pilot whales at San Diego were kept in the same stadium but in a separate pool. Again, could be wrong but that was my understanding.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  18. Hipporex

@Great Argus Shouka was kept with Merlin the dolphin. Example... (not my picture)

[​IMG]

Also, I was at SeaWorld San Diego on October 7th and they only keep one pilot whale, a male named Argo, and he was with a dolphin (named Sandy), however he was kept separate from the rest of the pod.

Fun Fact: When I was at SeaWorld, where Shouka currently lives, they said that she had taught the rest of the orcas there dolphin calls. If I had to guess, she probably learned these calls from Merlin.

19. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

20. Hipporex

There was definitely only one pilot whale when I was there. However, they appear to have kept more in the past (I've found pictures of four animals in San Diego).

[​IMG]

It appears the other three died though in the last couple years:

Shadow in September 2018 (https://seaworld.com/san-diego/blog/seaworld-remembers-shadow-the-pilot-whale/)
    Bubbles in 2016 (SeaWorld’s beloved pilot whale dies)
    Sully in 2012 (Op-Ed: Pilot whale 'Sully' dies at SeaWorld San Diego (Includes interview))
    This leaves only Argo who arrived from Japan in 2012

Also here is a picture of Argo and Sandy:

[​IMG]

evilmonkey239, Great Argus and Jambo like this.