Join our zoo community

CGSwans flies north for the winter

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by CGSwans, 23 Feb 2017.

1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, they have that big collection, but it's pretty much off-display. The line-up I saw was nothing out of the ordinary for this trip, and easily surpassed by some zoos.

I am certainly hoping Berlin will have a more than 'slightly' better standard of exhibitry, though I don't expect it to match the likes of Zurich or Prague.

2. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

• While they don't have any high profile animal superstars (giant pandas, koalas, manatees), they do have a very "complete" zoo, with almost all of the animals one would expect from a complete zoo.
    @ANyhuis surely a superstar species that is quite a rarity (in Europe at least) would be beluga? I know they are slightly more commonplace in the USA but not really a common species over here. Also, multiple crocodilians are a great asset for any zoo.

3. CGSwans

There are no belugas at Moscow Zoo.

4. Brum

Really? Since when? I know they had them until quite recently but did wonder why you missed them out of your review. Do they still keep dolphins?

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They are kept off show if you get in touch with them sometimes, you are lucky enough to be taken to see them. Believe they keep them off show because they don't trust, the average Moscow zoo visitors not to feed them stuff not good for them.

6. CGSwans

Yikes. That's quite a species to have off-display. I certainly saw a lot of visitor feeding, unfortunately.

7. Brum

Told you so... :p

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The offshow Beluga would certainly be one of the biggest attractions for myself, along with the off-display reptile collection :p sadly their biggest attraction of all died a few years ago - the last Zaglossus bruijnii in captivity. This was off-display too, of course.

9. zoogiraffe

Suppose now isn't the time to tell you that sometimes, by arrangement you can stop in the zoo, guest accommodation and see most of the off show stuff, as I know people that have, one even sent me a picture of him stroking a Beluga, thanks for that you swine.

CGSwans and TeaLovingDave like this.
  10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The swine in question still has that photograph set as his Zoochat avatar, in fact :p

11. CGSwans

No. Now is not the time to tell me that at all.

12. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Judging on what you've written so far I think it's safe to say you'll be underwhelmed by parts of the exhibitry in Berlin, although both zoos do offer some stunning ones as well.
    I would be astonished if you were disappointed by the collections though.

pipaluk likes this.
  13. zoogiraffe

Sorry about that,perhaps if you had posted your destinations we could have tipped you off!

CGSwans likes this.
  14. CGSwans

'Tis the risk I take, I know. But I enjoy the element of mystery.

zoogiraffe likes this.
  15. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

Are you sure they even still have them? As much as I still enjoyed Moscow, I will admit I was very disappointed to see they had eliminated their big central dolphin/beluga/walrus complex, with an inflatable winter roof. On my first visit there, back in 2009, they took me back to pet a walrus and then even to pet a beluga whale.In fact if anyone goes to my Facebook page, you'll see my picture there petting a Moscow beluga.

16. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

OK, now my profile picture here is me and the Moscow beluga -- from 2009

17. zoogiraffe

Pretty sure they still have them,under the inflatable winter roof.I know they had them 18 months ago.

18. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Having stayed at the Moscow Zoo a couple of times,for a week at a time,im bound to be defensive about the zoo.
    The amounts of things,particularly snakes,that ive seen for the first time there is amazing and credit should be given to a zoo that manages to hold over a thousand species in one place.I still find the policy of a comprehensive collection to be upheld here and is one to be admired by the zoologically curious..yes,even if the enclosures are NOT the size of those at Dubbo or Werribee.
    I cant write an essay on this one so i will try to be succinct. Much of the zoo,including the "seventies" Bird House, was actually built in the nineties in a massive reconstruction programme..some of the choices were possibly dated even then and blighted by poor workmanship /materials too.
    The zoo has a municipal commitment to cheap/free entry, this has made crowd behaviour difficult to regulate because of large numbers and resulted in the Walruses being kept inside in the day and let out at night when I was there(we were taken in to meet them..what an experience- great big inquisitive pink mountains of flesh, blowing snot all over the place - brilliant).
    Its a zoo you need to know to find things ..a second nocturnal section under the primate house is closed to the masses for instance,and its very good - much better than the official nocturnal house.But you need to request to go there.And believe me,this zoo is VERY hospitable to those who are interested. And the breeding centre too..its a long way out ,maybe 100 miles,but im sure the zoo would have been helpful in getting you there.
    In short this unique zoo is a case not of what you know but WHO you know.If you can organise that its a magical place,not without shortcomings for sure,but one full of fantastic experiences and unusual taxa.

19. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Oh..and theres a great zoo museum too,above the old Giraffe House - but its the same story-you have to ask to see it.

20. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wouldn't the "zoologically curious" recognise that a vert-centric collection of ~1000 species is still 3+ orders of magnitude off being "comprehensive"?

MRJ likes this.