Join our zoo community

Chahinkapa Zoo Chahinkapa Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by BeardsleyZooFan, 29 Jul 2014.

1. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member Premium Member

I just uploaded 50 new photos of this tiny North Dakota Zoo into the gallery.

3. NSU42

NSU42 Well-Known Member

So this story popped up on a news feed. Decided to post it just because no one had yet, even though its a bit old:

Chahinkapa Zoo earns AZA Accreditation

http://www.wahpetondailynews.com/ne...cle_6f3b910e-6393-11e5-b0bb-77ddbd7735ab.html

It was already accredited, but it says in the article there is no such thing as "re-accreditation so I guess its just aiming for correctness by making it sound like it didn't already have it.

4. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member

5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member Premium Member

This is stunning news as I was not very impressed with Chahinkapa Zoo when I visited in 2014:

A fairly poor zoo that is reminiscent of Roosevelt Park and in love with chain-link fencing. There is a lot of advertising for “North Dakota’s first ever great ape”, which is a hybrid male orangutan by himself in a large metal cage that is Howletts-style in appearance. It is more than adequate but the hype is not worth it. Tigers, grizzly bears, cougars, bobcats and a snow leopard all have cages that are less than impressive but at least chain-link works well for primates (3 lemur species plus gibbons and spider monkeys) as they can use the fencing for rapid movement. Bison, elk, Dall sheep and llamas have spacious yards, a Tortoise Town area encourages visitors to touch the “gentle giants” and there are 200 animals of 70 species in this rather disappointing zoo.

6. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

That actually sounds appealing.