Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Changes in Fruit Bat Forest

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SMR, 19 Nov 2010.

1. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

I had the opportunity to see a test of the new lighting in Fruit Bat Forest today. It's still being "tweaked", but essentially consists of a large, single light in the guise of the moon over in the corner where you first walk in, and an orange glow "sunset" at the other end of the building. The lights along the rafters are no longer going to be used.

Other changes include the removal of the old pond, widening of the paths (especially around the entrance) and a much denser planting of trees, although they're also encouraging the bats to fly more by limiting access to the eves of the building.

I thought the changes were a major success. Firstly, the lighting transition when you first enter isn't so harsh and you can still see where you're going, which in itself is a significant improvement and should lessen some of the hysteria. It's also now possible to see the bats flying either with the light in front of them, or behind them so that they're in silhouette. It's particularly impressive to see them flying and landing on the trees against the light of the "moon". The bats also seemed to be flying a lot more, both between the stands of trees and into the cave/tunnel. Two (of the three) Livingstone’s fruit bats were visible and most of the Rodrigues fruit bats had relocated from the gantry into the trees.

Although there are well over three hundred, you can't really see the bats in the photograph as it's a long exposure, but it does give you a rough impression of the lighting changes. Apologies for the green spot, one of the Seba’s decided to christen me and the lens.

Note that the new lighting is currently only being tested, so if you do visit, the old lighting might still be active for a week or two yet.

2. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wow, looks quite good in there. Would you say the lighting is better/worse/same as ever for photography?

I might try on my next visit to get some pics, whether I will manage (probably not), but will give it a shot...pardon the pun :D

3. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

It's easier to see what you're doing, just, and a little easier to photograph the bats because you can now get them in silhouette against the moon, but it's still really dark, that's a thirty-second exposure at f/4.

I have some ideas for capturing the sheer number of bats in the exhibit but will need to run them by a few people first, and of course flash photography is discouraged.

4. Javan Rhino

Exactly, not just discouraged but not allowed full stop isn't it? I wondered whether the 'sunset' side (since this pic faces the 'moon' side) would be a little lighter. Thanks for the info :)

5. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

The "sunset" was only on for a short time and I didn't get a photo of it, but I'd say it's darker than the "moon" side. Really easy to see the bats against the light with the naked eye, but no easier in photography terms.

For those wondering, the sunset is to the left-hand side of the Seba's roosting cave.

6. Javan Rhino

Ahhh cool, thanks again for the info SMR :)

EDIT: Don't suppose there's any way to get rid of the foul smell in there, I'd spend much longer if there was ;p.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2010
  7. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Must say, these sound like very good improvements to the already excellent exhibit.

8. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Chester Zoo changes in fruit bat forest

I'm trying to imagine how much fruit that number of bats eat, what it costs, and how much cleaning up is involved after......

9. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Well-Known Member

That looks really nice, thanks for the info and the pic SMR.

Is that lighting 'set' at that setting do you know, or will it be changed (dimmer switch or something) to simulate day/night rhythm?

10. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

The bats go through a natural day/night cycle, so when the main lights come up, the moon and sunset fade. At that point, all the Seba's go into their roost. The way the zoo "guesstimates" their number is by counting them when they emerge back out as the day turns into night.

The attached makes the interior appear much lighter than it actually is, but you can see some of the new trees (more going in) and all the feeders for the bats. Standing at this end of the building - the "moon" end - you can now easily see all the bats in the trees.

11. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Well-Known Member

Ahh I see, nice. Thanks again. :)

12. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Foul Smell? :p I havent noticed a "foul smell" within Fruit Bat Forest on any of my visits!

Thanks for the information SMR. :)

13. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Imagine what they think of the foul smells that enter their environment every minute or two. We must stink more to them than they do to us.

It only last for a few minutes. My wife and I have spent up to 40 minutes in there. After a couple of minutes you don't notice it anymore.

If anything I would think it is a smell of rotting fruit.

14. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Actually the foul smell that can sometimes be found in the Fruit Bat Forest,is actually from the resident population of wild mice!!

15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

maybe they could put some owlets or something similar in there as well then

16. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

The zoo have thought about that but haven`t in case they eat any of the Bats.

17. Javan Rhino

Ahh, I didn't know it was mice. I always put it down to either bat guano [sp] or rotting fruit.

18. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't think it is. Mice (and I've never seen one in there) have a distinctive aroma, the one in Fruit Bat Forest is different, it's far less pungent and barely noticeable.

19. Javan Rhino

You should have been in there when I last went in. It was so foul that we couldn't stand it and walked straight through and out without looking at the bats :eek:.

(Though, admittedly, it had never smelt so bad before and it probably doesn't now, just caught it at a bad time or something).

20. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

Ah You're obviously a sensitive soul JR :D

I must admit to having spent hours in there with my Night Vision Scope and my cameras in desperation of getting some decent images! Looking forward to trying out the new lighting now!