Join our zoo community

Charlie's Chester zoo review 14/8/17

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Charlie Simmomds, 14 Aug 2017.

1. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hello all, welcome to my review of Chester zoo from my trip on the 14th of August (The day I made this thread). I had not visited the zoo since late August of 2015 after the opening of Islands, so a lot had changed and there was much for me to indulge over the course of the day.

I will be doing this review in a similar style to Water Dragon, detailing each section rather than creating one hefty review, instead splitting it up into certain areas, and to end my highlights. Note there may be some personal bias to some species that I like over others, but then again we all do that from time to time.

Water Dragon likes this.
  2. Charlie Simmomds

Part 1: Arrival

Upon arrival to the zoo, me and my party headed towards the elephants, my favourite animal. I always enjoy standing and watching the heard, even if they aren't doing much. It was lovely seeing the two young calves and their mothers, as well as Nandita, she's gotten so bigger since I saw her two years ago as a few days old baby. Aung Bo was out with the females and everyone was enjoying a good morning feed by the looks of things.

From here we carried on to the monkey house, I hadn't visited this area in 2015 due to the fact it was closed when I visited so I jumped on the chance to go in today. I saw each species, each one inside and witnessed one of the Lion-tailed macaques climbing on the ceiling of the enclosure and communicating with another member of the troop below them. Other than that there isn't much I can say about the house, all the monkeys showed well and I did place my hands against one or two of the plaques for comparison (weirdly my hand fit the human one in size perfectly).

Next came a walk back down to elephants bridge and a look at the Indian rhino and brow antlered deer. The deer all kept to the back of the paddock well away from Beni who was out that morning. I got to see him running for a bit before he stopped, had a scratch and walked back towards the house where I could see the head of Asha in the door. I've seen this species many times before both at chester and the west midlands safari park, but they always amaze me with how they look with skin like plated armour, nature really amazes me as I would discover across the rest of the day.

3. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

Very interesting, Charlie. I always enjoy reading other people's reviews of zoos I have visited. :)

4. Komodo99

Komodo99 Well-Known Member

Agreed,I'm looking forward to the rest of the review.

Water Dragon likes this.
  5. Charlie Simmomds

Part 2: Butterflies and Bactrians

Upon getting to elephants bridge we took another look at the heard, before carrying on.

The vultures in the old condor aviary where perched on the back wall, there isn't much to comment on this due to a lack of birds currently but when it's full I imagine it will be a great way enclosure for sure!

Naturally the next step was to look at the camels and onager, of which only the onager where on show, the camels where kept on the hard stand but I could just see one popping its head and humps over the wall.

Next was a walk through the Andean garden and as it had rained earlier you could really smell curry, not the last time over the day it would occur.

The butterfly house is not my favourite area but I do like it. There were loads of butterflies flying about and sat beautifully for photos, it was very hot but a nice atmosphere and good to see many of the plants labelled. The labels for the butterfly species are ok but the fact they are just chained in large piles is a little strange I would prefer small signs like elsewhere in the zoo.

The invert section wasn't booming with species though I got a nice view of a katydid and a massive stick insect and my first view of a Madagascar blue stick insect as well. Then the panther chameleons where next, only saw the one but it looked lovely, a nice new species for me to see climbing about on the walls of the area.

On leaving butterfly journey we saw the giraffes on the paddock eating away, as always they are a nice sight to see for a bit, but rather than just looking from afar, from across the moat, we went to get a closer look.

6. Charlie Simmomds

Thank you both I hope you enjoy!

7. Water Dragon

Very nice part 2, Charlie.
    Just a quick question: did you go into the elephant house on your visit, or did you leave it to the end like I sometimes do?

8. Charlie Simmomds

Leave it to the end as always as a chance to see the elephants close up and its a little quieter.

Water Dragon likes this.
  9. Charlie Simmomds

Part 3: Mythical dragons, buffalo and chimps

On crossing the bridge into the main Forrest section I saw my first glimpse of play, it was very busy but it looked good and well done not as tacky as I had thought when it was announced. But there was no animals in that area so I wasn't interested.

My party and I went into Dragons in Danger to find 0 dragons, which did disappoint me a little but nothing is certain on zoo visits. We entered and saw the ploughshare tortoise feasting on some morning lettuce and I was very pleased to see this lifer species, one of many I racked up over the day. I also saw one of the iguanas in the enclosure basking on a log (note I didn't see this species with Mr Parsons). Next another lifer, a small Montserrat tarantula near the back of its enclosure while I'm not the biggest spider fan I appreciate this species and the work chester does with the species. Next came the birds, but no mouse deer which again disappointed me as I like the little species. But the birds didn't disappoint at all! I saw my first Sumatran laughing thrush, Montserrat oriole and the Argus pheasant, bleeding heart doves and Victoria crowned pigeons. The hornbill pair where together and where another nice spot but not the most exciting hornbills I would see that day. The turtles came next, without mountain chickens, and I only saw two species in the far left and centre enclosure if someone could remind me of the species I would be grateful.

From the dragons I checked lemurs island to see non which is a common occurrence for me. However the buffalo where clearly visible in and out of the house. The large male was indoors and a glorious sight. The old Malaysian tapir indoor is boarded off with nothing inside.

Next was the chimps which I viewed in the house, didn't see too much but they are always nice to look at for a while.

10. Water Dragon

It is a common occurrence to me as well. :p

I think Komodo is disappointed for you as well :D

For me they are nice to look at for a while as long as the house is empty which it usually isn't. Due to the crowdedness I rarely ever spend longer than a minute in there :confused:

11. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think on my last visit it was indochinese box turtles on the left and spiny hill turtle in the centre. I'm not sure how well seperated the turtles actually are, as I have seen the indochinese box turtles in all 3 'enclosures'.
    the katydids are Florida Giant Katydids. The stick insects, although unlabelled, are Phasma gigas (ID from a keeper).

12. Charlie Simmomds

Thank you, I remember the katydid name but wasn't sure of the stick insect.

13. Charlie Simmomds

Part 4: From quiet to an explosion of sparrows

Having done the chimps I proceeded to the okapi. I saw two individuals one in each enclosure and in the enclosure closest to the giraffes the pair of red duiker that are still not signed. I also happened here to come across the head of giraffes walking past to feed the giraffe heard.

I watched as the giraffes where fed and clambered for food. I could clearly identify Meru based on his size and dark markings. However I could identify non of the others.

Inside the okapi house I saw all three species: sengi, gaboon viper and kotsavo chilid, the first and last being lifer species for me.

From here I went into tropical realm, missing the red river hogs, though I did glimpse one of the adults. I also saw non of the black birds in the outside aviary.

In tropical realm I immediately went left to the tuatara of which I saw two, one seeming to look straight at me and my party. Next was a little peek into the giant tortoise enclosure where I played more attention to the many java sparrows flying around than the three tortoises. From this I went to the newest species in realm, the rat snake. I saw the head of the individual sticking from a burrow and got some good pictures. Across the middle of the house I seemed to see nothing but java sparrows there was so many of them! On top of radiated tortoise enclosure they where messing around as I watched the tortoise. I very quickly grew bored of those particular birds and observed the pekin robins before looking in the mouse deer enclosure to no avail.

In the poison frog vivs I saw all bar of course the blue legged Mantella. Though on that viv window was a smaller blue stick insect. The anoles bar the species in with the blue dart frogs alluded me. The caiman lizard was a nice spot as well as the emerald tree boa and Parsons chameleons. I saw the Rio Grande cecalian (someone please help me spell that) the snails and the tetra in the tank, as well as the eggs in the tank. No Borneo eared frog unfortunately but I got a hazy view of the final frog in that pod but again I've forgot its name!

Saw the spectacled caiman swimming for the first time but had no such look with the myna or the white winged ducks. Saw each of hornbill including the great and minnado species feeding.

I took a trip up stairs seeing a mass of roul roul, finches and java sparrow feeding in a communal ground bowl. On the way up I saw a lone egg right next to the great hornbill paddock. Seeing the Congo peafowl, snowy crowned robin chats and turaco was very nice indeed upstairs as was a white rumped shama singing, the roul roul chicks, green arcari and a lone scops owl all of which where lifers. Any other species I'm sure I had seen before.

Other than the nesting crowned pigeon there was nothing else to see in the main building but in the nocturnal section. My first aye aye and giant jumping rats where amazing to behold! I had missed them in London when I was younger but to see them now I appreciated them even more. Also saw a few cheeky house mice in there as well unless they are a species held by the zoo that are not signed.

Water Dragon likes this.
  14. Water Dragon

You saw my favourite species at the zoo active and I have never seen them active before, let alone swimming! I think I am becoming jealous of your trip already! :D

Charlie Simmomds likes this.
  15. Charlie Simmomds

Well in the water I had only ever saw them on land.

Water Dragon likes this.
  16. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Good review Charlie.

There are small labels in butterflies, they were perhaps hidden by the foliage.

It is spelt caecilian.

17. Charlie Simmomds

Thanks for that rob! There is still lots more to come!

18. Charlie Simmomds

Forgot to mention I also saw golden heart dove here mating too in the upper aviaries. I'm sure I saw them in dragons in danger as well so they where another lifer.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2017
  19. Charlie Simmomds

Part 5: aviaries and spirit of the jaguar

Immediately from exiting tropical realm I came to the hyacinth macaw, I've never seen this species and after a bit of time searching we spotted them at the back of the enclosure which was brilliant. While nothing is on the old capuchin island I did see a keeper enter a door to the offshow into the tropical realm from that area. Next was another species of macaw, the blue throated again I believe another lifer! No sign of the inca jays though or the sand lizards later on for that matter.

At this point we stopped for lunch at the jaguar picnic area where we saw the sloths come outside and it was amazing to see them climbing in the trees and interacting with each other!

From this I went with some of the group to the pudu, again another lifer. It was a bit of a hard spot but they where right in the corner. I wish you didn't have to go in the shop to see them they are a wonderful species that so many people will miss unless they see Bert in the old serval enclosure.

Next came the jag house If I had known that Bernie was in the savanna side of the enclosure I would have stopped to find him as he is a beautiful creature. The fish tank seemed to have a little less in it than I remember though I didn't spend long there. No ants as I had said im the news thread which was ashamed as I like seeing them carry supplies back to the nest. Didn't see the jags indoors or out which was a shame as of course I love the species the pair are some of my favourite cats especially goshi as I have a fond side for melanistic cats.

Outside I got another wif of curry from the plants as I looked at Rico and Tina one last time.

Then I came to the rainbow aviaries where I didn't have the best luck at all, but I did see the male lady Amherst pheasant the male and female Himalayan Monal and the female of the tragopan species in the aviary closest to the orangs though I may be mistaken. But I thought these aviaries where very nice and well done I was very pleased with them.

20. Water Dragon

@Charlie Simmomds Yous saw the Blue-Throated Macaws as well??? Ok, now I really am jealous!!:D
    Are you going to make a list of lifers at the end?