Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo Park Cheetah Escape

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by JamesB, 30 Oct 2008.

1. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Link: BBC NEWS | England | Cambridgeshire | Investigation into cheetah escape

An investigation has begun into how a cheetah was able to escape from a zoo and wander into a family's back garden.

Officers from Huntingdonshire District Council are due to visit Hamerton Zoo in Hamerton, Cambridgeshire, after a nine-year-old discovered the cheetah.

Toby Taylor ran indoors when he encountered the animal and zoo keepers arrived soon after to recapture it.

A council spokeswoman said the zoo notified its officers of the escape and it was now being investigated.

The three-year-old hand-reared cheetah is thought to have escaped through a faulty electric fence on Friday.

The spokeswoman for Huntingdonshire District Council said: "Our environmental health officers are responsible for licensing of zoos and dangerous animals.

"The zoo reported the escape to us and we are aware that there was a faulty electric fence unit which has been replaced.

"We are now investigating."

Andrew Swales, the zoo's director, said the animal would not have posed a danger to the boy.

2. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

OMG I would love a cheetah in my garden :D

Least it wasnt their white tiger that seemed rather fiesty when we went there and cheetahs seem the most 'friendly' of the cats plus being handraised!

I was impressed with there natural looking cheetah enclosures, made them very hard to spot :p

3. JamesB

a baby cheetah in my garden! that would be sweet

4. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

:D I wouldn't call anyone, except maybe the butcher to stock up :D

5. JamesB

:O you wouldnt, you mean lady

i would be tempted to keep it as a pet but no that would be cruel

6. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

I don't think you got the joke;)

KarenZOO said she would call the butcher to stock up on meat for the cheetah, not to sell the cheetah to the butcher as meat

7. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

On a recent visit to Hamerton , a male miniature donkey grazing the strip of grass between a cheetah enclosure and the public path was racing one of the cheetahs along the fence line . Both seemed to be very much enjoying the experience and the donkey was encouraging the cheetah to chase him ! Magic sight !

8. JamesB

oh i got the wrong side of the joke, it was still funny!